“The best place ever....loved this place!!!!”
Review of Kalani

Kalani
Ranked #2 of 11 Speciality Lodging in Pahoa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Durham, North Carolina
“The best place ever....loved this place!!!!”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The best food. The best people. The best environment. I'm ready to move in ....can't rave about it enough!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbara c
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Lake Stevens, Wa
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My husband and I ONLY have great things to report about Kalani. We have stayed there on 4 different occasions and all 4 were spectacular. Three were with the "Couples in Paradise" group and the last one was with the "Lomi Lomi Massage" group. As always our room has always been unique and special and we have always felt safe and warm/dry in our space. Not having glass in our windows and only screen is special since we're from Washington State where it rains every day and the glass windows are most often closed and wet. At Kalani it might rain but then the sun comes out right afterwards and dries everything up. It's fun to listen to it rain so very hard on the roof tops. Nothing stays wet for long. I enjoy listening to the sounds of the ocean and the frogs singing every night. Nature at it's best. The food at Kalani is spectacular and we always look forward to going back to experience the fun staff who dish it up for you. We have never had a bad meal or experience at Kalani and can only say wonderful things about the friendly volunteer staff and helpful caring people that walk the property. We have found smiles in every corner we've explored. This year we heard that we might see "wild pigs" and even though I actually looked for them, we did not spot any. Drats. Perhaps at our next visit. My husband and I enjoy walking down the the front desk to share an ice-cream and swimming in the clothing optional pool and getting our annual flower/plant tour from Barcus who really knows his trade and enjoys sharing information. Our first visit to Kalani we met LMP Sylvie and have signed up to get a massage from her on each returning visit. She's now "family" to me and I appreciate the fact that when we return we can see familiar faces and continue our friendships. Comforting to have a familiar face to chat with when you return. We consider Richard and all the rest of the staff as loving souls with acceptance and love abounding. We can't wait for our next visit. Mahalo.

Room Tip: We like the private rooms with our own bath room & refrigerator
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed 5 March 2012

If you could do with some soul pampering, Kalani has what you need. In a jungle setting, with first-class yoga classes, massage, and other therapies available, not to mention proximity to the intoxicating beauty of the ocean waves, Kalani also offers more, something remarkable: an emotionally safe cocoon of welcoming aloha spirit and loving acceptance for all who walk through its gates, a place where the growth you might be striving for will not only be supported, but encouraged, applauded, validated.

This sometimes happens in an imperfect way - though the area is magical, Kalani's people are still human, and things occasionally go awry - but I would say even the imperfections are perfect, as they usually offer opportunities for a change of perspective on what really matters in our lives.

If you need pristine rooms, immaculate grounds, and formal staff, try the Kona side of the island; I'm sure it will have something to offer. But if you are ready to accept, appreciate and maybe even love yourself with all your imperfections, you might want to start with a visit to Kalani. Your soul will thank you for it.

Room Tip: Kalani has a range of rooms... each is fairly unique, with benefits and limitations. However, if you...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenn B
Culpeper
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I arrived at Kalani at night, so my first impression was not of the beauty of this retreat center. My first impression was of the staff. What a treat that was. From the volunteer who picked me up at the airport, to the lady who checked me into my room, I received nothing but Aloha upon my arrival.

My next impression of Kalani came from the sounds, the enchanting and melodious sounds that sank into my soul. From the laughter that floated through the air, to what I originally thought were insects of some exotic sort, but turned out to be coqui frogs, I knew I had found my place to grow spiritually as these frogs lulled me to sleep with their hypnotic lullaby. I was not mistaken. It is a great place to grow spiritually. It is also a great place to go on adventures, make friends, connect with your higher self, or just sleep in a hammock or by the pool. Kalani is awesome.

It wasn't until the morning after my arrival that I got my first look at the property. Wow! From the main lawn, to the view of the ocean across the road, everywhere you look, you are reminded that this is Hawaii, and yes, Hawaii is indeed paradise. Be sure to ask a staff member where the Monkey Pod tree is. Yes, there are a number of monkey pod trees on property, but only one is THE Monkey Pod Tree. It is amazing. You have to see it. My advice? Take your shoes off and walk on the roots of this tree. You might just have a religious experience if you do, or however you define your personal spirituality.

The room I stayed in was nice. It was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the art on the wall was unique. It was obviously from a local artist and not simply shipped in from a corporate office as you would expect from a chain hotel. Little things like that really do make a difference.

When you visit Kalani, you can choose to be bored if you want to. If you just want to take it easy by the pool, enjoy! If you want to take classes, such as yoga or active meditation, enjoy! If you want to swim in the ocean, there is a beach just down the road, so there again, enjoy! Do what you want to do at Kalani. Be who you want to be at Kalani. Enjoy Kalani the way you want to enjoy Kalani. Whatever the choices are that you make at Kalani, one thing is guaranteed, you will leave there a transformed being. You will be much more in touch with the true you, and you will have an unprecedented understanding of what you are on the planet to do. Kalani is magical this way, and I'm not one to use words like "magical" unless I mean it. When I say this about Kalani, i mean it. It is magical. I spent only eight days there, but the inner-transformation I underwent is good for a lifetime. It's that kind of place.

I will be back as soon as I can get there.

Room Tip: I stayed in Hale 3. No complaints.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank James A
North Bay, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I stayed here with my husband, baby, father and brother over Christmas time.

To be honest, I actively seek out artistic places like this... if you want an experience versus just a room than I suggest you consider Kalani.

Rooms: The rooms feel like wooden cottages except that they had really interesting paintings. (Stayed in the treehouse and a bungalow.) My baby and I slept better listening to the jungle sounds.

Service: What can I possibly say except THANK YOU! The staff packed us lunches (at no extra charge) and saved us our dinner when we went to tour the island. They were so, so kind to my baby. I trusted a couple of the girls enough to let them babysit (not easy for me) and we became friends after that.

Facilities: Great patio (lanai) for eating meals outdoors. I liked sharing meals with people... it gave us a sense of community and some of those conversations really changed my perspective on life. My husband and father enjoyed the free nature tour, but even the baby could find the fresh mulberries!

There seemed to be big spaces for classes everywhere. I really miss the classes now that I'm back home. There were something like 50/week ranging from yoga to dance/culture. They were really, really good.

The food was amazing and the desserts were even better. We never ate the same meal or dessert twice. There is also a freezer full of homemade ice cream (yay mint cookie!) in the lounge.

Least favourite: With all of the yoga, meditation and massage, we really had to work to keep the little one out of trouble. We were made to feel very welcome, but it would be easier to visit as a single, couple or as part of a yoga group.

Favourite Part:
I felt like I grew as a person.

This is like an all inclusive resort... except you get physically and mentally healthy instead of drunk.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Adventure_Seeker44
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pahoa
132.0 km away
7.2 km away
Ma'ukele Lodge
Ma'ukele Lodge
#1 of 2 in Kalapana

Been to Kalani? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK