A Beautiful Day, Nani La 'Ao
TripAdvisor
US$ 362
US$ 271
US$ 200
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Have you ever had a childhood dream of staying in a tree house? Or a senior citizen’s dream of still wanting too? Well you can do this at “It’s A Beautiful Day” in Keaau Hawaii, and you don’t need to climb branches or a ladder, as there are steps and something to hold onto to enter the dream.
It’s on the big property of a certain Lady’s house who helps Mother Nature create magic experiences. Sherri Carden is the owner, of A Beautiful Day. Her tree house room was tidy, small and clean. We were glad to have the protection of a mosquito net since we were in “orchid land” and sometimes those little critters are out to getcha so some bug “Off” spray is a good idea to stop ‘em. Everything was magical because the owner is an artist and we found whimsical touches everywhere, such as her hand painted headboard for the double size comfy bed. The stairs to the upper deck above the tree house is where you can go and sit and watch the sunset. And, see or hear the finches, cardinals and mynah birds. If the conditions are right... you can see a rainbow. When nature calls, there is a nice little wash room at the base of the tree. The decorative stepping stones lead to the spa where we made an appointment for an amazing massage. The soft new age music Sherri played with her words of meditation might be interrupted by the braying of her miniature donkey because outside there are a few of her animals which seem to talk to each other . . . except her little bunny rabbits are very quiet and truly adorable. We liked the handmade baskets of orchids that had beads of water after a light rain or maybe Sherri watered them as the sky was now blue. These memories will linger as being in a treehouse was on my list of a 1000 things to do in my life ... but I didn’t know how magical it could be due at the “A Beautiful Day Spa.” But, the night is not for everyone as unlike most concerts, the Singing Coqui Frogs Concert isn’t over by 11:30 p.m. If this isn’t music to your ears after midnight, you can block the sound with ear phones or good earplugs or, in my husband’s case, taking his hearing aid out. If your hearing is good, you might need something you can wear to block the Frog Opera singers. Fortunately or unfortunately, the frogs perform nightly and get louder if you yell at them to be quiet. In the quiet morning, the sight of the orchids and flowers growing on the grounds and the showy rainbow eucalyptus trees look like they have been painted with streaks of purple, orange, blue and maroon tones within the bright green inner bark. These trees were painted by Mother Nature and no one else. This dream is not for people who want room service or a chocolate truffle on their pillows and turned down beds at night. They should not stay here. We were glad to know the location was isolated and not close to lights and restaurant row, so we tucked in a few of our favorite treats, including chocolate covered Hawaiian macadamia nuts and some tropical fruit into our bag when we ascended into the tree house. This place is for nature lovers. I will never forget this magical and beautiful day and star lit night experience. If you wake up and want an amazing massage, Sherri can give you and yours a wonderful massage in her charming spa. You will need to book this in advance, and we were so glad we did. Everyone needs to have childhood dreams come true . . . and I had mine realized here. The cute sounds of Sherri’s miniature donkey talking to us and holding a bunny in my arms added to the joy and sweet memories of our dream come true experience in and around the tree house at “A Beautiful Day” in Keaau, Hawaii.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2010

My husband and I went to visit this Island, and were recommended through friends to say at this spa. The owner, Sherri, is absolutly wonderful, kind, and so accomodating. I loved her relaxing stone massage, which left me feeling like jello on the table! I didnt want to leave!
I would definalty recommend this hole in the wall spa for its scenery, privacy and spa amenities. This is definatly a relaxing place that I would definatly stay at again, and I still recommend it to anyone I meet going to this side of the island!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Went to Hawaii to write a book, and have been spending the past several months travelling from one hostel to the next. I am calling it my "working vacation." So far, the best part has been my visit to "A Beautiful Day. " It is the only place I was able to truly find peace and be able to connect with nature. I love the outdoors, and I appreciate being in a place that shows respect for the environment. I have been to many stuffy, overly social hostels, but I needed a place where I could hear myself think, and reconnect with the earth. Truly a place of healing, very sacred. On an earlier visit I treated myself to a massage, and it was the best I ever had. Right now I am finishing up, and spending time camping on the beach. But I wanted to express my sincere joy for having stayed at such a unique location, a place I will never forget! You can check out the website at abeautifuldayhawaii.com and ask about the "working vacation" packages!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2010

It has taken my partner and I nearly a year to move from Kona to Hilo, and it's still so noisey there. We decided to treat ourselves to "A Beautiful Day Hawaii" and booked tandem spa treatments as well as an overnight stay. It was extraordinary, so beautiful, with huge trees and orchids, free range bunnies, and MUCH more. So enchanting. We loved the spa treatments, I got a facial with a massage and then soaked in the hydrotherapy tub with papaya mango sea salts. I can truly appreciate the amount of love and care that goes into taking care of a place like this. It was a remarkable stay, very inspiring. We will be back often for more spa treatments...20 minutes from Hilo is such a short drive for this kind of a treat, and such a respite.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2010

We stayed in the tree house, which is just that, a tree house in a lady's backyard. You sleep outdoors, with millions of frogs yelling in your ears all night, and with the non-stop rain keeping you forever damp. The owner let us use the stove and refrigerator in her garage, which was nice of her. There was also a lovely washroom, but it was a good walk away, so you don't want to drink any water before you go to bed! The shower is outdoors. There are mosquitos EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS. The road to get there is unpaved, so you risk damage to your rental car. You NEED a rental car, because this hostel is in the middle of nowhere. It's about a 20 minute drive to get to any food. I guess you get what you pay for, but I feel like I could have gotten a decent bed in a hostel in the city for the same price, rather than be wet, dirty, and sleep deprived the whole time. It's an adventure, so if you love the outdoors, go for it. The tree house was pretty nice and very clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple