All reviews banana bread fresh fruit every morning hotel cat the big island small kitchen one bedroom apartment full kitchen coqui frogs downtown hilo small hotel quiet street close to downtown loved this hotel beach towels volcano national park ceiling fan
Reviewed 8 February 2019

My daughter and I really enjoyed this quaint hotel. It was so relaxing and quiet. It was spotless! The breakfast was unique by picking your own banana from the stalk and enjoying the other fruit provided! The banana bread was WONDERFUL - could have eaten it 3 meals a day! As we left we had a double rainbow. Hope it means we will return soon. The restaurants they recommended were A+++++. I loved Hilo and this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank shirleymWV
Reviewed 13 December 2018

Loved this hotel, it was like a step back in time for us, the front desk lady chatted with us and took us directly to our room. The bed had white pressed sheets, and everything in the room was spotlessly clean. The kitchenette was also spotless and it was just such a pleasure to stay here. The friendly staff and the cleanliness were the 2 outstanding things we appreciated about this place. It is also located in a quiet residential area but within easy walking distance to downtown activities.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2018

First of all, this boutique hotel is like most other, with a small but adequate kitchenette, but we were not there to spend much time in the room. The staff are expert travel guides in their own right and offered accurate and helpful directions for places we wanted to stay.

Date of stay: March 2018
Reviewed 11 November 2018 via mobile

Dolphin Bay Hotel is an excellent choice for your stay in Hilo.
I could write a book about my stay at Dolphin Bay. My fellow Dolphin Bay guests were a colorful and charming as the hotel itself.
The accommodations are charming and roomy. The gardens are outstanding.
John Alexander seemed like family by the time I checked out after a nearly two month stay.
The fresh coffee, fruit and banana bread in the lobby each morning is a great way to start your day.
Opihi, the resident cat became my constant companion and I still miss him.
I dream of the day I can return to Dolphin Bay and it’s tropical island splendor. This hotel is what Hilo is all about.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
John A, Manager at Dolphin Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2018

Aloha and a big Mahalo -

Reviewed 8 November 2018

Breakfast was delicious and ready nice and early so we could go on our adventures. The room very pleasantly decorated, and I loved falling asleep to the sound of the frogs outside. We went to Akaka state park, Puhalu'u black sand beach and of course Volcano National Park.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple