All reviews home away from home our room was spacious double bed other guests downtown hilo cynthia hawaii
Reviewed 28 September 2014 via mobile

Really basic accommodations suitable for backpackers. High price for low value. Old and unkempt. Not clean. Uninviting entrance. Very basic breakfast. Charging 'cleaning fee'. What for? Far from downtown Hilo. On the positive side: owner very friendly and helpful.

Date of stay: September 2014
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank RoniYag
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed at this beautiful B&B last July and we've had a truly great time. It was recommended to us by one of our friends who also stayed at Shaka Shak and shared with us their wonderful experience. I must say that this is one of those hidden B&B gems in Hilo that truly deserves more than its current rating. It should be one of the Top 5 in Hilo, considering the great rooms and facilities, excellent Wi-Fi, fantastic location, and wonderful hosts, Cynthia and her daughter Natasha.They obviously love what they do as they offer a service above and beyond anything I have ever experienced in any B&B (I miust admit, even in some of the plushy hotel chains). My kids are the type who can be picky about the quality of the beds whenever we travel, but I did not hear any complaints during our whole stay. We got Da Queen Room, with 2 beds, and it was just perfect for us and the kids.
For breakfast, my kids were hankering for some pancakes, and they were not disappointed. As for myself and my wife, we were offered a sumptuous full english breakfast, complete with all the trimmings. It was even better than the breakfast we had at the 4-star hotel in LA we stayed the previous week.
Cynthia offered tips on places to visit, sites to see, the nice restaurants to have dinner, and helpful tips on how to get to these places.Overall, it was a lovely stay, all 5 nights. I'm definitely recommending Shaka Shak to my friends who plan to visit Hawaii.

Room tip: Just ask Cynthia what you require and she will endeavour to provide.
Date of stay: July 2014
3  Thank JJJD888
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Thank you Cynthia and Natasha for making our family feel at home. We spent a week at the Shaka Shak. Because our family are not people who expect fancy things, we were completely happy with our first experience with staying at a B&B. If you don't need much tending to and can appreciate the value of a quaint and cozy home, then the Shaka Shak might be for you :)

Date of stay: May 2014
2  Thank Tina96799
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I have a wonderful experience during my stay, I stayed in the Queen room for 2 nights . The bed was so comfortable I almost overslept on both days. The breakfast consists of fresh fruits and healthy choices. The host was very accommodating and gave a lot of good tips about the various attractions. I would highly recommend this place, got a good value for the stay.

Date of stay: April 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank JUne B
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Cynthia is a real sweetheart and the sheets were clean. But we were badly mislead by the web information for Shaka Shak. It was not clear that this place is essentially a boarding house. Together with a resident student, we and our traveling companions were 5 people sharing one bathroom. Also misleading was the cost. An extra $20/room "cleaning charge" and a bunch of previously unspoken taxes were a real surprise when we came to settle our tab in the morning. I have traveled and stayed at lots and lots of places, but I have never before seen a "cleaning charge" as a surprise tack-on to the room costs. One reviewer uses the expression "old world charm." I would call it run down and in serious need of some deep cleaning (especially the refrigerator and couch), repairs, and paint (the ceiling in the living room was an amazing job of not-how-to-fix sheetrock). We were shocked at the final costs when they came to $15/couple less than a brand new, well-appointed 3 bedroom house (2 bathrooms!) that we had had for the four of us the night before in Volcano. Sweetness doesn't offset being ripped off.

Date of stay: April 2014