See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 2 July 2016 via mobile

Pagoda Hilo Bay Hotel, Hilo, Hawaii
Package hotel and car rental-Hawaiian Air
Going economical. My bad............

It is amazing how ones' accommodation can ruin a trip or not.

Arrived on a Thursday at 3:15 pm to check in. One clerk and 7 peeps ahead of us. Forty-five minutes later, get checked in. (At least have "take a number", so I can sit) Staff slow but congenial. Asked for upgrade given a "garden n partial water view", second floor. Actual view: palm trees on right, sliver view of water on left and in the middle view, several drop boxes and construction site of hotel across the way. Hate to think what kind of room I would have received without upgrade. Windows don't close tight so you are serenaded by coqui frogs at night and visits from mosquitoes 24/7.

Room is in the 1970's decor and so is the rusty air conditioner. Probably as old as building, which I would guess is full of mold and mildew. (Hello, Hawaii Dept. of Health!) Afraid to turn AC on, but I do. Air cold but who knows what we're breathing in. Oh well, only when we sleep. Husband steps out to lanai. Gets locked out. Try wifi password can't connect. Called desk, have to go down to lobby to use wifi.

Here for a 4 day get-away. Two to go. Called down every morning for upgrade to a bay view. Nothing available. We are on Hawaiian Air package. Why do we want a cheap place "to sleep" on a mini vacation? I am an idiot!

DAY 3. Sick. In bed. Probably from inhaling "rusty air". Today the mini ants are all over the table. I've been cleaning up after myself, and taking the garbage out every night. Good thing I brought my essential oil remedy for bugs. Sprayed table, bed and myself, not to mention, the rest of room. I did leave a nice tip for housekeeper. She did her best, under the circumstances.

I decided to move to another hotel on last day/night. The heck with package room. Glad I moved to HILO HAWAIIAN HOTEL!!! That last day stay made my trip unforgettable! Loved the central view of Hilo Bays' historic Coconut Island. That is another story..... ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

So if you plan on going cheap, re-think your accommodations. Getting a good nights sleep is essential for a memorable unforgettable trip, in my opinion. If you don't mind "roughing it" cheap is fine, but at my age roughing it is a thing of the past.
No more cheap and awful lodgings. Never to old to learn!

P.S. The actual hotel is called Hilo Bay Pagoda Hotel, or Pagoda Hotel at Hilo Bay but listed as Country Club Hawaii Condo Hotel here. Perhaps to avoid peeps from actually connecting the two. JMO.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
5  Thank makaokukona
Reviewed 30 September 2014

tried sharing my experience! this plce will not allow the lowest ratings ever in man kind. will go to my blog. tHIS PLACE AFTER WATCHING DURING DAYTIME AND NIGHT TIME OMG! SO GROSS! Tooo many druggies at night time, and thats all there is to do here unless during the daytime you wish to swim in a disgusting swimming pool beside the awesome ocean!! take your pick hahah..Pool is disguisting , room has cock-roaches. and they wish this place to be on top? OMG NO resteraunt, no bar, the list goes on n on

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
10  Thank Zabina S
Reviewed 31 January 2014

I am an Hawaiian resident who had a few days business in Hilo and needed accommodation on a BUDGET. The reviews were not all inspiring, but I took the chance and was HAPPILY SURPRISED!!!! Yes, it's old, but it is clean, comfortable, lovely location and has BEAUTIFUL VIEWS. I found the staff to be professional and charming. I have now stayed twice--room 318, partial ocean view and the TOTALLY FABULOUS 329, corner unit w/ ABSOLUTE OCEAN VIEWS. SAW 9 WHALES!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank RebeccaDelIslas
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We stayed here on December 22nd, the hotel is old and run down, our room was filthy with mold growing around and in the shower. I was afraid to sleep on the sheets as they had stains on them and was afraid of getting bed bugs. I had a cockroach run across my foot in the washroom and my wife killed two of them as well. The elevator is frightening and all of the carpets in the hallways are stained and dirty. I couldn't sleep all night with the thought of all of the bugs in the room attacking me. We checked out early and got the hell out of this dump. I would not recommend staying in this hotel, not that the other ones in the area are much better as I have had bad experiences at two of the other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Restaurant was closed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank Arthur E
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights with a school group, and I found the experience to just be so-so. Despite the name of the place, this lodge is hardly a country club or a hotel. The nice part is that the units are exceptionally large, but other than that, everything else is hit or miss. My unit was moderately clean, and I appreciated having booth a TV, WiFi, refrigerator, and air conditioning in the room. But other than that, the quality of the place didn't quite add up to what I was paying.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business