“Worth our wait”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

We stopped in for dinner at Least Magic Pan on a rainy Monday evening after visiting Volcanoes fir the little bit of the park that had reopened. The place is small, and even though there were only a few other guests, the wait for food was long. That is because each crepe is handmade as is the pasta. There are only two crepe discs, so we waited. All that we ordered was delicious. We shared pasta pomodora and a Provencal crepe as well as a Greek Salad and a chocolate with banana crepe for dessert. We were very glad we had come in. We were in no hurry, just relaxing, and there was a guitarist/singer who was performing and was very entertaining. It was a great evening.

Date of visit: May 2018

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

I ordered La Provençal crepe and my friend ordered the chicken Alfredo. We received the Alfredo and La Parisienne - not the chicken based Provençal - forty five minutes later. There are only two people working - both are chefs.
My friend ate the Parisienne as i do not eat pork products and i ate his Alfredo which was delicious. Hence the two stars.
The ambience is awful. Paint the walls or something.
The jazz musicians were great for a local band. Hence the reason Le Magic Pan doesn’t warrant only one star.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank CarolineS1978
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Unfortunately this was not the kind of lunch experience we had hoped for in Hilo. We were seated at a table that was cleared and hurriedly cleaned with the napkin of the previous customer. I ordered the the daily special but they got my order wrong which is sort of OK as I understand that can happen, and to be fair, the cook did come over to apologize. I decided to keep the crepe they had made which was the the vegetarian crêpe, similar to the one I had ordered. Maybe it was just this one item but it was bland and unappealing; just globs of mozzarella and a smidgen of spinach and tomato. Nothing like the ones I’ve had in France. I wished we’d picked a different restaurant as Hilo has o lot to choose from.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Hilo in my view has lots of good restaurants. We went into this restaurant by chance as the adjacent restaurants were full.

I ordered the buckwheat vegetarian crepe and my wife got a pasta dish. My food was tasty and filling. My wife liked the pasta but the sauce could have been better.

The service was provided by one waiter who made a couple of mistakes. Bathrooms are located in the adjacent part of the building and requires a code to get in.

I would go back and try something else.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 23 February 2018

Nowhere else in my entire life, and I'm a serious diner, have I had fresh pasta rolled and cut to order. Nowhere. But that's how they do it at Le Magic Pan, a feat easily viewed from every seat in the house which feels like a small village cafe in Europe. There's a lot of heart in this food.

The Bolognese sauce on our pasta also deserves high praise--one of the best I've had in any American restaurant, with true all-day cooking kind of flavor. Apparently pasta is a new addition to this restaurant's repertoire, and that's a great thing for the town of Hilo. Other sauces available at the time of our visit were pesto, carbonara and alfredo, among others.

Our party of four also ordered main course crepes. The crepes were superb and quite large--bring an appetite, or share one. We ordered the ham/mushroom/swiss cheese version, but there were 5 or 6 other choices all named for the nationality of inspiration, like a Russian Beef Stroganoff just for instance.

Prices are very reasonable. A small but deft selection of wines is available by the glass or bottle.

Date of visit: February 2018