“Great Old Place, Great Food, Great Staff”

Manago Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 33 Restaurants in Captain Cook
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 20
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 14 June 2012

When it was first suggested we eat at Manago Restaurant, I (who live on the mainland) went online to research it. Reviews looked favorable and other of our Hawaii friends said it was good ... two or more Hawaii people saying it's good means it is excellent. Nine of us went to the restaurant. The staff were so welcoming. My friend said Manago is known for its opelu and pork chops. I took mahi mahi (go figure). It was delicious. Everybody around the table loved whatever they ordered.

We did go back another day ... all nine of us. We made reservations this time. We went early, the restaurant wasn't opened yet. So one of the friends said, "We can go in the room where there are chairs and the old people sit to watch TV". I said, "Eh, we are the old people so it's perfect." Some of our group went to see the Japanese Garden in the back. My spouse said it was nice and he took some pictures.

A staff member came out early and said they are setting up but they will let us in soon. How nice is that? We got in before opening time. This time I ordered the pork chops. Yummmm. I ate all of it (I gave a little to my spouse). My spouse asked, "Do you want bread to clean the plate?" The gravy was yummy. Again, people around our table were happy with their meal.

I read the other reviews and asked, "Wha?" Maybe some people just don't have the local tastebuds. There are fancy-schmancy hotel/restaurants in Hawaii that gear their food to "Pacific-whatever fusion", but these are not the LOCAL foods. These are fancy-schmancy foods with fancy-schmancy prices. Not a local anymore but I will always love the LOCAL comfort food. This place has it.

1  Thank KalihiKid65

Reviewed 12 June 2012

The Manago Hotel offers some old-time local color, but my advice is to go in and look around, then eat somewhere else. Staff was very friendly and the place was full of locals. The food at dinner (the pork chop and the fresh mahi) was inexpensive and bland. Nothing to write home about, but not terrible, either.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

Great dinners but the breakfasts were just average. Prices reasonable and the staff were very helpful and kind.

Reviewed 10 May 2012

Not fancy, not updated, not to be missed. A taste of Old(er) Hawai'i. Fresh fish, quirky sides, and a feeling of another time, more low-key than today.

Reviewed 9 May 2012

The prices are attractive and the inital serving of noodles was decent. However,otherwise, the quality of the food was poor and resulted in both myself and my wife becomming ill. You get what you pay for.