“Good place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Halemalu
Morris County, NJ
“Good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Each suite has one big bedroom, one small bedroom, living room, and lanai; it's more room than we (married couple) knew what to do with, all for a price we liked. Breakfast featured lots of tasty and interesting fruit, variety of teas and juices, bread and cereal. Eric and Susette take good care of you. High-speed internet is good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

First trip to Hawaii (the state) and my first 3 nights (should have stayed longer) were spent with Suzette & Eric. It's like staying in someone's house who is very laid back, will assist if & when you need it - otherwise make yourself at home & enjoy yourself.
The property sits on an hill overlooking Kona & the water - at least that was the view I stuck with. I was in the South Suite - which was a very large living room, dining area, good size bedroom, private bathroom + lanai.....Perfect. Cooled by fans which might not keep up on hot days but I was gone almost all day so it did not affect me. Nights were comfortable & I slept like a baby.
Breakfast - Suzette works extremely hard & does a great job to get the freshest variety of fruits to get your day started. She will adjust to fit your preferences.
The hospitality extends to helping find your way around the island, answering all sorts of crazy tourist questions + help you celebrate a birthday - Thank You Suzette.

One note - I flew into Hilo which was the closest to the last place I planned to stay on the island. Well, it was an adventure for my 1st HI drive - They do not call it the BIG island for nothing - it's about 115 miles from Hilo and it got dark 1/2 there so it was even more interesting - thanks to Eric who guided me on the phone. I got comfortable driving on the island after a couple of days - put over 800+ miles on rental car.

So if you want quiet (you don't mind roosters do you?), clean location, delicious food and good vibes - all at a very reasonable price - then Halemalu will work for You.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chuteman
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2010

WOW,, so amazing. I had such a wonderful time in hawaii.. and stayed at Halemalu made it more amazing. I looked forward to breakfast every morning. Suezette made our breakfast enjoyable every morning. fresh fruit, and spreads for our breads and other wonderful food that i wish i could of brought back home to WA state so my family could enjoy it too. We are looking forward to going back and staying here again!!! thank you again eric and suezette.. u guys made us feel like family!! we loved it there each day and looking forward to coming back!!! :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2010

My wife and I started our week long vacation on the Big Island with a 3-day stay in Halemalu. This was one of the best B&B we ever stayed in.
The place is on top of a hill, with a wonderful view of the ocean. We were expecting a double room, but were pleasantly surprised to find a 2 bed-room apartment with a balcony.
The morning breakfast was the highlight of the stay. Every morning the apartment manager picked fresh fruits from the garden (part of the B&B) and laid them for breakfast. The manager herself is a delightful person, helped us with trip planning and just about anything we wanted to know.

The place itself is wonderful, but the staff is what makes this place super. Thanks to them our stay in Hawaii started on the right note.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

Let's start by making it clear tat Halemalu is not 'specialty lodging' as described by Trip Adviser. This is a Bed & Breakfast, a very new one, and one of the most unique that I have had the pleasure to spend time at. It deserves a detailed review so that you readers can make an informed choice, rather than an inspired guess like me.
When I first pulled up to the property I had a moment of pause. It didn't look like the B&B's I am accustomed to--more like, well, a boarding school. That's what it used to be. However, after five quiet, comfortable nights in the care of Eric and Suzette I was reminded of the old adage; it's what's on the inside that counts. But I digress.
Let's start with location. Halemalu sits high over Captain Cook, over 1,600 feet above Kealakekua Bay, (which took a patient Suzette five days to teach me how to pronounce.) It's climate is mild and fresh, with only the occasional vog drifting from distant Kilauea.
To reach it from the main highway involves driving up three side streets to a steep private road, more like a twin set of paved tracks. No loud traffic or late night tire drifting in this neighborhood. It sits on several acres of cultivated land containing, I was to learn, numerous varieties of fresh fruit and flora. It is bordered by a macadamia farm and other small cultivated properties. It's rural, but only fifteen minutes drive from Kailua-Kona town, and only a couple of minutes from a variety of local businesses down the hill, so it's hardly remote.
The guest rooms themselves are all in a large peaked roof building. From the building's size I thought there would be eight or ten separate guest quarters inside. Instead, there were just four to five on two floors. By good fortune I was given my choice and picked one of the two with upstairs ocean views. And they weren't just rooms--they were privates residences. Mine had a large living room and dining area, a main bedroom, a guest room, bath, and a twenty foot covered balcony. All were modestly appointed, being this is still a very new B&B, but everything was clean and comfortable, if not plush. I expected to spend about nine hours a day in my rooms, mostly asleep, so the bed was of primary concern. I was rewarded with a comfortable queen mattress and almost no house noise. In fact, they might want to consider ceiling fans in the bedrooms, not to keep cool but to drown out the silence. One night it was so quiet, I heard the distant shish of a passing shower that never reached the property. Only morning roosters and distant dogs mingled with the peace. Well, maybe one little earthquake but who's counting.
Each evening Suzette asked me my plans and prepared a breakfast based on them. Some mornings there was a magnificent buffet lined along a kitchen counter. Fresh fruit from the property (sweet papaya, two types of mango, bananas, etc), cereals, bread plus local speads and honey. If I wanted to cook something the stove and refrigerator were available to me. Other mornings when I was departing early to explore the island, she made up a to-go cooler, prepared for quick access in the car. This was one of the nicest favors I have every been offered at a B&B. Try getting THAT at a hotel.
One afternoon, Eric gave me a tour of the property. Besides his home and the B&B there were over a dozen varieties of fruit growing on it, including examples of south american cherries that I had never heard of before. The school, which he constructed, had only recently shut down, so he decided to put the whole place into the lodging business.
The result is a spacious B&B, capable of handling small business retreats, wedding parties and the like. One side of the structure has a covered outdoor dining area, enough for over twenty. The opposite has a patio that Eric has prepared for events, including a small stage area.
Halemalu is the type of place where you get to know your hosts, and make friends. I had free reign to collect macadamias and attempt to hammer them open (the survivors were roasted up for me by Suzette), to sign my name on a leaf of their autograph tree, borrow snorkel gear, watch videos in the downstairs guest area. It was all incredibly relaxing and must have been good for me, because by the time I reluctantly left I was walking noticeably slower, swearing less and totally hooked on flip-flops.
All this for a remarkably affordable rate. In fact it's the rate that probably makes many people wonder about it.
Stop wondering, and take advantage of it before the owner realizes what a bargain he has going on up there. I know I plan to again, in the very near future!

And Trip Adviser, please change this property's listing to a B&B. It is most definitely a B&B.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Kona Coast Resort
Kona Coast Resort
#2 of 35 in Kailua-Kona
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,515 reviews

Been to Halemalu? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK