“Perhaps the most promising new B&B in the Kona region” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Halemalu

Halemalu
Houston, Texas
“Perhaps the most promising new B&B in the Kona region”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2010

Let's start by making it clear tat Halemalu is not 'specialty lodging' as described by Trip Adviser. This is a Bed & Breakfast, a very new one, and one of the most unique that I have had the pleasure to spend time at. It deserves a detailed review so that you readers can make an informed choice, rather than an inspired guess like me.
When I first pulled up to the property I had a moment of pause. It didn't look like the B&B's I am accustomed to--more like, well, a boarding school. That's what it used to be. However, after five quiet, comfortable nights in the care of Eric and Suzette I was reminded of the old adage; it's what's on the inside that counts. But I digress.
Let's start with location. Halemalu sits high over Captain Cook, over 1,600 feet above Kealakekua Bay, (which took a patient Suzette five days to teach me how to pronounce.) It's climate is mild and fresh, with only the occasional vog drifting from distant Kilauea.
To reach it from the main highway involves driving up three side streets to a steep private road, more like a twin set of paved tracks. No loud traffic or late night tire drifting in this neighborhood. It sits on several acres of cultivated land containing, I was to learn, numerous varieties of fresh fruit and flora. It is bordered by a macadamia farm and other small cultivated properties. It's rural, but only fifteen minutes drive from Kailua-Kona town, and only a couple of minutes from a variety of local businesses down the hill, so it's hardly remote.
The guest rooms themselves are all in a large peaked roof building. From the building's size I thought there would be eight or ten separate guest quarters inside. Instead, there were just four to five on two floors. By good fortune I was given my choice and picked one of the two with upstairs ocean views. And they weren't just rooms--they were privates residences. Mine had a large living room and dining area, a main bedroom, a guest room, bath, and a twenty foot covered balcony. All were modestly appointed, being this is still a very new B&B, but everything was clean and comfortable, if not plush. I expected to spend about nine hours a day in my rooms, mostly asleep, so the bed was of primary concern. I was rewarded with a comfortable queen mattress and almost no house noise. In fact, they might want to consider ceiling fans in the bedrooms, not to keep cool but to drown out the silence. One night it was so quiet, I heard the distant shish of a passing shower that never reached the property. Only morning roosters and distant dogs mingled with the peace. Well, maybe one little earthquake but who's counting.
Each evening Suzette asked me my plans and prepared a breakfast based on them. Some mornings there was a magnificent buffet lined along a kitchen counter. Fresh fruit from the property (sweet papaya, two types of mango, bananas, etc), cereals, bread plus local speads and honey. If I wanted to cook something the stove and refrigerator were available to me. Other mornings when I was departing early to explore the island, she made up a to-go cooler, prepared for quick access in the car. This was one of the nicest favors I have every been offered at a B&B. Try getting THAT at a hotel.
One afternoon, Eric gave me a tour of the property. Besides his home and the B&B there were over a dozen varieties of fruit growing on it, including examples of south american cherries that I had never heard of before. The school, which he constructed, had only recently shut down, so he decided to put the whole place into the lodging business.
The result is a spacious B&B, capable of handling small business retreats, wedding parties and the like. One side of the structure has a covered outdoor dining area, enough for over twenty. The opposite has a patio that Eric has prepared for events, including a small stage area.
Halemalu is the type of place where you get to know your hosts, and make friends. I had free reign to collect macadamias and attempt to hammer them open (the survivors were roasted up for me by Suzette), to sign my name on a leaf of their autograph tree, borrow snorkel gear, watch videos in the downstairs guest area. It was all incredibly relaxing and must have been good for me, because by the time I reluctantly left I was walking noticeably slower, swearing less and totally hooked on flip-flops.
All this for a remarkably affordable rate. In fact it's the rate that probably makes many people wonder about it.
Stop wondering, and take advantage of it before the owner realizes what a bargain he has going on up there. I know I plan to again, in the very near future!

And Trip Adviser, please change this property's listing to a B&B. It is most definitely a B&B.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank WillardHumphrey
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Captain Cook
Uncle Billy's Kona Bay Hotel
#13 of 14 in Kailua-Kona
9.0 km away
Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay

Been to Halemalu? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK