See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

This was not one of the best stays I've had, but it's better than camping in the rain for the night. The beds seemed acceptable, I didn't experience bed bugs. The bathroom on the other hand could have been cleaner. The upkeep of the room we stayed in want ideal. It appeared that items/fixtures were once in different locations because there were holes in the walls that hadn't been patched. The bathroom door didn't fit right so you had to force it closed. The door to the exterior also didn't close completely unless you forced it closed. This was a handy feature when we were going in and out to the car cuz the door key/card didn't work on the outside door, only the inside door.
The girl at the front desk was nice enough, but don't ask for directions she couldn't direct you put of a box. We needed to do laundry because we had been camping for 3 days. This HoJo doesn't have a laundry facility for guest's use, so I asked for the location of the nearest one she said it was a couple of miles down the road. The closest one is actually 2 buildings over and you can access it from the same parking lot.
This is also not directly of the highway with the other hotels, it's a few miles down the road, basically if you think you've past it keep going.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2018

Dear Cathie E,
Thank you for staying with us, We appreciate your business and feed back, We will make sure address the issue that you experienced thank you for letting us know. Looking forward to welcome you back.
Regards
Debby Simpson

Reviewed 17 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel isn’t bad at all and if you are on a budget then definitely come here. If you get on booking.com it’s like $43. You can’t beat that anywhere! It’s clean, great water pressure and the beds are fair, better than most places at this price.
The pillows could use an update however
They have hair dryer, a med size coffee pot,
a med size fridge and a microwave. The room is also bigger than other motels too
Our room had an easy chair, office chair, table, 2 end tables, dresser and a bench to put your luggage on.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Dear Andrea B,
Thank you for staying with us, We appreciate your business and feedback. We work hard to make our guest happy, Thank you for let us show off our hospitality , Looking forward to welcome you back.
Regards,
Debby Simpson

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

I come to Gillette on business multiple times a month. Usually I stay in a different place but I couldn't get a room there. I came to the Howard Johnson and checked in. Or tried too haha. There was something wrong with my credit card. Mohamed, the front desk clerk was amazing. He did everything he could to make me comfortable while I figured out what was going on. After it was all figured out I got into the room and was surprised. The room was better then the place I usually stay and half the price. The parking lot was well lit. I did not hear anyone else in the next room all night. Breakfast was great and the folks at the desk were friendly and made me feel at home. I will be staying there from now on. You folks rock!!

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank josephn272
Debby S, General Manager at Howard Johnson by Wyndham Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind words! We strive to provide every guest with an exceptional experience, and I am happy to hear we were ale to do that for you. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Gillette.

Kristi Halbrook

Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

Went in and within an hour found blood on the sheets and then found a BEDBUG!! STAY AWAY!! OWNER IS SUPER SKETCH!!!! TOTAL LOSER!! Mohammed(owner) insisted there was not a bedbug after he came in and had his employee dispose of it and completely minimized the whole situation of BLOOD and BEDBUGS!!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2017

This review is based on the booking experience that I had with this hotel, not on the actual stay as this was not possible because of my booking experience with this hotel.

I booked my room with this Howard Johnson hotel on May 10, 2017, and the check in data was August 20, 2017 (which was one day before the solar eclipse). The reservation went through successfully, and it was all set to go. I finalized my plan to view the solar eclipse in Gillette. Unexpectedly, on August 14, I received email notifying that my reservation was cancelled. The reason of the cancellation they provided was that the hotel was fully booked. What?! Fully booked? I booked my room on May 10, and now they informed me 6 days prior my arrival date that my reservation is cancelled because the hotel is fully booked. This is seriously ridiculous! Here is what I think is the actual reason. When I booked this hotel in May, the price was $64.99. The price sky-rocketed as the date was getting closer to the solar eclipse. I had seen prices jumped to as high as hundreds of dollars per night. I suspect this hotel over booked with this high price. Because of the over booking, they cancelled previous reservations that had lower rate, and kept the ones with higher rate. If this is indeed the case. this kind of business practice is completely unacceptable. Regardless the reason, cancelling reservation that was made almost 3 months ago due to overbooking is totally unacceptable.

The booking company offered to provide alternate location, and to reimburse any differences in the cost. This last minute search for hotel in an area where everyone was rushing due to the solar eclipse was a horrible experience. We ended up with a hotel that was a significant downgrade, and it costed more. I am still waiting for the reimbursement from the booking company.

Again, this kind of business practice by this Howard Johnson hotel is unacceptable by any measure. I will stay away from this hotel from now on.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family