All reviews bedroom suite full size fridge marriott brand walk in shower excellent amenities in town for business extended stay hotel cook top stayed for two nights rooms are clean small kitchen other hotels top floor living area good nights sleep business trip comfy bed
Reviewed 23 August 2018 via mobile

My family of 5 was on day 24 of a cross-country and back road trip when we decided to stop in Gillette, WY on our way to Yellowstone on August 20th. Like we had done on so many nights over the past 3 weeks I whipped out the phone and started to search for our best option to stay the night. Having 3 daughters (13 and under) I make it a point to find accommodations that will work for all of us. That normally means two queens and a pullout sofa.

We found the TownePlace Suites on Marriott’s mobile app and were excited that they were offering a 2 bedroom suite. A Queen in one bedroom and a Queen and Sofa in the other. This was literally the first time on our whole trip that all 3 daughters could sleep together in one room while my wife and I could be in another. We were especially excited as we had to do laundry and it is much easier if the kids are in their own room. We booked the room at 6:25pm. I got a confirmation and was even able to check in on the mobile app. I went back in and that room option was now gone. I jokingly said to my wife “I hate when we get the last room...it probably doesn’t exist.”

An hour later I check in and the girl at the front tells me they were “overbooked” and they are giving me two King studios instead. She cheerfully told me this is more room than I had booked but that misses the point. We weren’t going to have 3 kids in one room by themselves while my wife and I are across the hall in another. So now I’m in one room with 2 kids, and my wife is in the other with the 3rd. We were tired and just decided to make it work. Nothing like a night where the kids go to bed and you spend the next hour texting your spouse from across the hall.

Side note, after getting the two rooms I went back into the app and sure enough the 2 bedroom suite was once again available. Bait and switch?

Remember the laundry? My wife goes down and all three washers are out of order (see pic). She goes and talks to the front desk who calls her manager. The manager says “the middle one should work” and the front desk worker gives my wife $2 in change to try it (nice offer). Nope. Doesn’t work. My wife returns to the front desk and the manager is called again. Final offer is that they would pay for us to do our laundry at their sister property across the street. It was dark and pouring rain. We declined.

Later I pulled the sofa bed out and just had to laugh. As you can see in the pic, the sofa bed literally touches the king bed. This means that whoever is sleeping on the far side of the King is basically stuck. They have to climb over the other person in the king bed to get out. Ridiculous design. We’ve used A LOT of sleeper sofas over the past 3 weeks and never had this issue.

I went to use the ice machine on the third floor. Broken. Not even on. 2nd Floor didn’t have an ice machine.

Besides the sofa issue, the rooms are clean and well equipped. Staff was generally friendly. But we definitely felt let down with all the issues we had.

Stayed: August 2018
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Highly recommend - price was great and entire property was lovely. Great little kitchen so we could prepare small breakfast for our daughter who has celiacs. We had an issue with our sink which was fixed immediately while we were out to dinner. THANK YOU!

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2018

We stayed here July 19, 2018 while on a motorcycle trip. Room was very nice, good breakfast. The TV was in a weird spot (it was on the wall to the left of bed but no big deal after riding so long that day the bed was very comfortable

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2018

We stayed for two nights. Property was everything we expect from new style Town Place Suites by Marriott. Smart room layout, fully equipped kitchen, comfortable bed, great pillows, HD smart tv, perfect air conditioning system, good WIFI, immaculately clean room/property. Complimentary breakfast was typical for the brand (maybe somewhat better) and well managed by breakfast lady. We loved the indoor pool and hot tub, which was in perfect order. There is a nice fitness center on property. Customer service was good. Maids were nice, hard working and professional. We were checked in and checked out by Nick and he recognized our Platinum Marriott status & accommodated our request for the top floor. I liked staff’s attitude as they were striving to provide the best possible customer service possible. It was our first time at this property. Based on this two days stay, I highly recommend and would definitely return.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank USAtraveler365
Nick A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2018

Dear USAtraveler365,
Thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful review. We are so delighted that you were able to enjoy all the ameneties our property has to offer. We strive to ensure that all guests that stay here have a memorable experience, and I'm so glad to hear we did not fall short on any of your expectations. We hope you come stay with us soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2018

My family and I were traveling through Gillette on our way home and booked a 1-night reservation, specifically for a 2-bedroom suite with sofa pull out, to accommodate my party of 7 people. We had booked this several weeks in advance. I even checked in with the Marriott app online probably about 6 hours in advance of arriving. We arrived shortly around the 6PM hour and walked in to check in and was told by the front desk person that "there was a computer problem and the room that you booked isn't available." He then indicated that he had booked us at the Best Western across the street for the same price and with the same type of room. I should have probably questioned this more, but we were tired and so we went over to the Best Western. I was still surprised that a Marriott hotel would book a separate reservation at a non-Marriott hotel despite the fact that there was another Marriott hotel in Gillette (Fairfield) which apparently had availability. In any event...we went over to the Best Western and they put us in a room for the same price, but it was NOT the same type of room. It had 2 queens in 1 room and a pull out sofa in another. Simply not the same. It also was not up to the standards of rooms I expect from Marriott hotels as the room was dirty and dark. I went down to the Best Western front desk and told that person that the room was not the same as the room we had reserved at TownePlace. The BW front desk person explained that he had told the TownePlace person this that it was different. I then called back over to the TP person and advised if they had 2 single rooms available and he did not. He then asked me if the BW had 2 rooms available with what we needed. I then proceeded to tell him that I was not going to be put in that position of trying to manage rooms and cost with a totally separate hotel. He then offered to call over to the BW and make arrangements. He did get it squared away and we received 2 queen bed rooms for the same price at the BW. However, as stated above, the rooms at the BW were not that nice. My issue with all of this is that why are they sending business to other hotels? Why did they screw up the situation even after an online check-in? I'm a Marriott Rewards member and I doubt I will get rewards points for staying at the Best Western. I have a complaint into Marriott...but the situation is ridiculous. I appreciate the fact that they tried to make it right, but this was not the correct way to do that. I do not recommend this hotel for this reason. I can't trust that my room will be available and if I can't trust that then why would I want to stay here in the future? I gave this 2 out of 5 stars and would've given it 1 if it hadn't been that they at least were able to get a room somewhere.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Nick A, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Gillette, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2018

Dear Weather_Guru,
I want to personally apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced during your stay. I understand the frustration this may have caused you. Our property experienced a major maintenance issue and that is why we were unable to accommodate you. Nevertheless we did not handle this situation properly and would like to speak to you regarding this in person. Please contact me directly here at the property so I would be able to make things right for you. My contact telephone number is 307-682-1464. Please accept our sincere apologies for this.