“Terrific”

The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Elk Mountain
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We enjoyed everything about our stay here. The rooms were neat and cared for. The atmosphere was quite and calming. We enjoyed the walk around town and exploring the Inn. We are history buffs and appreciated the care that had been taken to keep the inn good condition, yet maintain its history. You should be aware that rooms do not have AC or TVs, but that was not problem for us. You really do not need AC at 7,000 ft with windows open at night and the balcony was a great place to sit and read the news or a book. There is a little bit of a haunted history to add to the fun of the inn.

We did have dinner at the restaurant there and the food was by far some of the best that we have ever had. The Chef(Susan) is amazing. Her bread pudding with white chocolate was off the charts.

We are planning on making this a regular destination for us to get away to for a night. It was only 3 hours from Denver and yet felt a world away.

Room Tip: The Eliza Swian Room or the Evan Suite
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Thanks for the accolade. It was fun to have you here and it goes without saying that you will be welcome, whenever you get the chance to return. Our whole team works very hard to maintain the property to a high standard, so I will pass on your kind thoughts.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel! Everything from the quiet, relaxing atmosphere, the comfortable and well done rooms, to the delicious dinner and breakfast in the restaurant. Our hosts and their staff were very gracious and welcoming! I would definitely return for another stay, and will recommend the Elk Mountain Hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the lovely comments the owners and staff will be happy to see you, you were both model guests! Have fun in the meantime.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We enjoyed a lovely stay at this well-taken care of hotel on our way to Yellowstone from Denver. It has a wonderful history and list of clients that have frequented the hotel over the past 100 years, Each room is beautifully decorated in lovely antiques. The Inn keepers were very knowledgeable and happy to share their experiences. Susan, the owner/inn keeper, is a trained Cordon Bleu chef whose meals alone are worth the trip!! Absolutely fabulous! The Inn is the town-- not much else around, but a wonderful experience and a feel for the old west. I would love to return some day!

Room Tip: Each room is specific to a person in history-- very cool
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thanks for the accolade, it was a pleasure to meet you and your group. Glad you had a good time, until the next one!

Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I really didn't care for the over priced rooms or the rude owner.
The food was not a cordon bleu caliber & honestly if I wanted frozen mini cream puffs covered with Hershey chocolate syrup they sell it at costco... and at least they would be fresh.
Unfortunately there was absolutely no warm welcome at all.
When you pay for a nice room at a ridiculous price, you would hope the owners/manager would at least be cordial.
This was supposed to be a wonderful memory for my sister & I. Unfortunately it is a very disappointing memory for both my sister & myself.
If you want to see the area, you might want to just continue on to Medicine Bow where they have the Virginian Hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

I have answered your comments more fully elsewhere. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience, but our prices are consistent for the area, we do not advertise to be anything than what we are, a historic hotel in a remote location. I am not sure what you mean by fresh - profiteroles are an ice cream filled pate a choux topped with house made hot chocolate sauce using Callebaut 70% Chocolate and whipped cream. I know because I studied in Paris, so I am sorry it was not what you were expecting. I am European and not American so my take may not be yours.
I was surprised that you arrived 3 hours before you told me you were coming which was why the front door to our private but historic building was locked. On our website we say we are a small country inn and we are a special kind of place, it is not for everyone and it evidently was not what you were expecting. If you thought I was displeased, then you were mistaken, that was not my intention and if that was your impression I apologize. As to rudeness, I am not sure when since I did not speak to you after check-in since you were not in the public areas and I do not pursue guests around the property to engage them in conversation, especially when I do not feel that my presence is welcome. The only time I came to see you was at the end of dinner when I had finished my chores in the kitchen and you had already left the dining room. If you were unhappy with the results of your dinner you could have asked the server to see the chef, that is part of her job, but I never received such a request.
If you were expecting the same kind of cuisine in a town of 191 people, 50 miles from the nearest shop in the least populated state in the Union to compare with restaurants in Las Vegas where they have a full brigade and not one cook/innkeeper, then you are bound to be disappointed. We make greater use of the freezer here since we cannot get things flown in or delivered on a daily basis. My restaurant supply company comes from just south of Denver once a week.
Sorry we couldn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

While Wyoming has other historic hotels, the Elk Mountain Hotel is unique in so many ways: The hotel and each of its lovely rooms all have their own stories; the setting in the tiny town of Elk Mountain really is an experience for urban folk who may have never spent time in a real western town of 191; and the atmosphere, cuisine and wines offered by the hosts is on the par of the best hotels in the state. The area is beautiful, with walks, fishing and relaxing in the hotel to pass the time. A circuit of the Snowy Range Scenic Highway to Saratoga to Elk Mountain from Denver makes a perfect trip.

We have now stayed at the Elk Mountain Hotel four separate times, tried three different charming rooms, and enjoyed every dinner and breakfast. One of the owners is a Cordon Bleu trained chef and her menus are exciting and and memorable. The wine cellar probably rivals ones in the best restaurants in Jackson. The staff is warm and genuine. The building is authentic, but is comfortable and beautifully furnished.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Wow, thank you for the accolades. It is a team effort and we could not achieve this level without the valuable help of our staff, so I will be sure to let them know you appreciate their efforts.
Until next time then.

Been to The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK