Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 95
Old Corral Hotel(Centennial)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 22/07
US$ 73
Free cancellation until 28/07
US$ 81
Hotels.com
Rawlins Western Lodge(Rawlins)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 27/07
US$ 85
US$ 79
All reviewssusan and arthurromantic getawaymedicine bowwonderful hostscharming hotelmodern conveniencessitting rooma wonderful staytrained chefcordon bleu trainedold westroad tripdenverevansaccommodationsbridgermiles
Reviewed 18 July 2017 via mobile

I really didn't care for the over priced rooms or the rude owner.
The food was not a cordon bleu caliber & honestly if I wanted frozen mini cream puffs covered with Hershey chocolate syrup they sell it at costco... and at least they would be fresh.
Unfortunately there was absolutely no warm welcome at all.
When you pay for a nice room at a ridiculous price, you would hope the owners/manager would at least be cordial.
This was supposed to be a wonderful memory for my sister & I. Unfortunately it is a very disappointing memory for both my sister & myself.
If you want to see the area, you might want to just continue on to Medicine Bow where they have the Virginian Hotel.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2017

I have answered your comments more fully elsewhere. I am sorry you had a disappointing experience, but our prices are consistent for the area, we do not advertise to be anything than what we are, a historic hotel in a remote location. I am not sure what you mean by fresh - profiteroles are an ice cream filled pate a choux topped with house made hot chocolate sauce using Callebaut 70% Chocolate and whipped cream. I know because I studied in Paris, so I am sorry it was not what you were expecting. I am European and not American so my take may not be yours.
I was surprised that you arrived 3 hours before you told me you were coming which was why the front door to our private but historic building was locked. On our website we say we are a small country inn and we are a special kind of place, it is not for everyone and it evidently was not what you were expecting. If you thought I was displeased, then you were mistaken, that was not my intention and if that was your impression I apologize. As to rudeness, I am not sure when since I did not speak to you after check-in since you were not in the public areas and I do not pursue guests around the property to engage them in conversation, especially when I do not feel that my presence is welcome. The only time I came to see you was at the end of dinner when I had finished my chores in the kitchen and you had already left the dining room. If you were unhappy with the results of your dinner you could have asked the server to see the chef, that is part of her job, but I never received such a request.
If you were expecting the same kind of cuisine in a town of 191 people, 50 miles from the nearest shop in the least populated state in the Union to compare with restaurants in Las Vegas where they have a full brigade and not one cook/innkeeper, then you are bound to be disappointed. We make greater use of the freezer here since we cannot get things flown in or delivered on a daily basis. My restaurant supply company comes from just south of Denver once a week.
Sorry we couldn't meet your expectations.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

While Wyoming has other historic hotels, the Elk Mountain Hotel is unique in so many ways: The hotel and each of its lovely rooms all have their own stories; the setting in the tiny town of Elk Mountain really is an experience for urban folk who may have never spent time in a real western town of 191; and the atmosphere, cuisine and wines offered by the hosts is on the par of the best hotels in the state. The area is beautiful, with walks, fishing and relaxing in the hotel to pass the time. A circuit of the Snowy Range Scenic Highway to Saratoga to Elk Mountain from Denver makes a perfect trip.

We have now stayed at the Elk Mountain Hotel four separate times, tried three different charming rooms, and enjoyed every dinner and breakfast. One of the owners is a Cordon Bleu trained chef and her menus are exciting and and memorable. The wine cellar probably rivals ones in the best restaurants in Jackson. The staff is warm and genuine. The building is authentic, but is comfortable and beautifully furnished.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2017

Wow, thank you for the accolades. It is a team effort and we could not achieve this level without the valuable help of our staff, so I will be sure to let them know you appreciate their efforts.
Until next time then.

Reviewed 3 July 2017

The Hotel is picture perfect and a classic ! You must meet the Chef and have dinner ; she is outstanding ! Wine and spirits, and great food, along with a taste of Wyoming - for us Atlanta folks we had a wonderful stay and hope to return soon. A great stay while touring the National Parks.

Room Tip: We stayed in Louie Armstrong's Room - a King ....what a wonderful life-enjoy!
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2017

Thanks a lot. Glad you had a good time in our beautiful state. You are welcome back any time.

Reviewed 30 June 2017

If you like historic inns and hotels, the Historic Elk Mountain Hotel won't disappoint. We needed a place to stay between Denver and Red Lodge, Montana. We try to find interesting hotels if possible, and this one is that and much more. Susan and Arthur are wonderful hosts; they have lived all over the world and Susan is a Cordon Bleu-trained chef. Arthur helped my husband find a place to park our little 1954 travel trailer (or as the British call it, "caravan"). They both have a typically British dry sense of humor and take pride in their wonderful hotel. The hotel was built in 1905 and has changed hands several times, including a complete remodel not long ago. There used to be a dance hall on the property; top-notch big bands and jazz and country singers appeared there, including Louis Armstrong, Tex Williams, and Harry James. Their photographs hang on the wall in the sitting room. We stayed in the Jim Bridger room; like the rest of the hotel, the decor is Victorian. The bathroom was very nice; new tile and fixtures and nice thick towels. The restaurant (don't forget to make a reservation!) is wonderful -- I had the beef stroganoff and my husband had the venison steak. It's amazing that such a small place can serve such quality meals. All in all, an unexpectedly wonderful experience in such a tiny town.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2017

Thanks for your kind remarks. Ruby was a colorful addition to our carpark. She will be welcome any time as will you!
Happy Trails!
Susan and Arthur - Innkeepers

Reviewed 12 June 2017

We stayed here 2 nights. It is in a very quiet town. The hotel is comfortable and the hosts Susan and Andrew are very welcoming, warm and funny. We stayed in the John Fremont room. It is the only one with an outside patio and access. The room is very comfortable clean. Coffeemaker in the room. No TV but we did have wifi. The hotel does have a common area with a TV. The restaurant is wonderful. Susan works with you if you have any food concerns. She is a trained chef and it is reflected in her food. She does well with celiac disease as well. Her food is fresh and delicious. We wanted to explore the area "off the beaten path" so to speak. She helped us with recommendations and we had a great day as a result. There is a large meadow on property with a gazebo. Great in the morning and evenings. We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we loved the general John Fremont
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
HistoricHotel, Owner at The Historic Elk Mountain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Arthur and I thank you for your kind remarks. Glad you had a pleasant stay and hope the flight home was comfortable for you. Until next time! Cheers!