“Not what we remembered”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

We haven't been to Mexicali Rose for 20+ years, so we decided to try it out last night for dinner. Mind you, it was a rainy Tuesday night, off-season, so extremely not-busy. We were seated right away by the hostess, but it took our waitress (the only one) quite awhile to make it over to our table. From what we could see only 4 other tables were occupied. We ordered drinks (jumbo strawberry margarita and a tequila sunrise). It took several minutes as there was only one bartender. The drinks were outstanding. We then ordered our food. We both went for the ground beef chimichanga. Our food arrived very quickly. Our waitress departed rather quickly to get us more chips, even though we said we didn't want any more. We didn't get the chance to ask for sour cream for our chimis. By the time she finally came back, we were almost finished with our entrees. The chimis were tasty, but dry...needed more sauce or cream cheese. The rice had some very old-looking peas added that made it most un-appetizing to look at. Next time, we'll skip the food and just come for drinks.

Alex H, Owner at Mexicali Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such detailed feedback about your recent visit. I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please note that your concerns have been passed on to our management. We do hope you give us another chance as we will definitely improve our services, Snowdancer.

Reviewed 5 October 2017

We had lunch around 2:00. Not very busy, food was very good, service was good. Nice selection of Combination Plates. The view was great looking over the river, patio was nice.

Alex H, Owner at Mexicali Rose, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2017

Thank you for your review and for choosing our restaurant. I'm happy that you enjoyed your visit and I'm looking forward to having you again as a guest in our restaurant. Have a great day, 256kennethk!

Reviewed 4 October 2017

The food was terrible...it seemed to come out of a can. Maybe because we were there off-season. The only thing palatable was the beer.
We had fish tacos; the fish was over-cooked, and no flavor at all.
Our server, Octavian,though, was very friendly and nice - great job!
The view over the river really is nice.

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such candid feedback of your visit, Garnett. I am very sorry to hear that our food did not meet your expectations. Please email us with a phone number or email address so our Restaurant Manager can discuss your issues personally.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

we were in there friday the 29th for supper first off the guy seemed like he couldnt understand english very well (tall skinny man with blonde hair) we ordered chicken chimichanga and shrimp fajitas, the shrimp came out with still the tails on them husband said something to him about it and he just looked at us and said oh the cook must not know so he had to pick each one off to be able to put it on his tortilla $18.00 for this and not served with any beans or rice my chicken chimichanga $13.00 it was very different the chicken was chunked I never said anything just thought that is how they fix it here we got our bill and there was a $1.49 charge I asked what it was for he said for your chicken I was like what so your chimichangas dont come with chicken you have to pay extra he said no you got a different kind I said I never ordered a different kind I just said chicken chimichanga he says oh I was like really so you just assume and then charge people for it SURPRISE, we left half of the food it wasnt that great I would not recommend it and will never return

Management response:Responded 5 October 2017

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such candid feedback of your visit, Ladybug698. I am very sorry to hear that our food did not meet your expectations. Please email us with a phone number or email address so our Restaurant Manager can discuss your issues personally.

Reviewed 29 September 2017

Decent prices and the outdoor tables give you a view of the river and the damn. We had the chicken fajitas for two. Food was good and there was plenty. Margaritas were generously sized and tasted good.

Management response:Responded 5 October 2017

Thank you for your positive comments, Gigi72011. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal with us! I hope your next visit is just around the corner. Call us if there is anything we can help you with.