“Perfect stop for young children”

Riverside and Great Northern Railway
Ranked #15 of 27 Tours in Wisconsin Dells
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: The R&GN is a 15-inch gauge railway living museum offering fun for young and old. Ride our live coal fired steam trains along a 3 mile roadbed winding through scenic canyons, beautiful wooded areas, and majestic rock cuts beside the Dells of the Wisconsin River. Watch the locomotive being turned on a hand operated turntable at Western Springs, and turned again at the final stop at the Hyde Park depot. Before or after your ride, enjoy a picnic with your family, visit our exhibits and stop by our Museum Store with your children for a wide selection of railroad and museum memorabilia, books and magazines, videos and music, hats and clothing for children and adults, and of course Thomas the Train Products™.
Reviewed 18 May 2018 via mobile

I took my five year old daughter to this place, and she just loved it! It is a perfect stop for young train lovers. They hand out popcorn for the ride, and there is a gift shop and bathroom too.

All reviews
"volunteer staff"
"narrow gauge"
"real steam train"
in 2 reviews
"every hour on the hour"
"historical facts"
"ask questions"
"nice ride"
"great attraction"

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Totally worth the stop. the ride was nice and scenic. You stop at the end for a little bit and the engineer tells you about the train. it's a real steam engine! Not super crazy busy like most Dells stuff. Nice park to eat lunch at as well. I think they have a small cafe but it wasn't open when we were there.

2  Thank Joebob747
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We've been going to the Dells for years. My kids grew up going there and now we're bringing our niece and nephew. This was an unknown attraction that we wish had known of years before. Fun and interesting. It was a great way to relax for all of us. Will do this again at different times of the year.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

My family and I had a really great time at Riverside & Great Northern Railway. My son absolutely LOVES trains so I knew it would be a hit with him, but it turned out to be fun for the whole family. We loved watching them fill up the engine with the water and turn it on the "turntable" track thing. This place was truly a great little hidden gem just about a mile outside the hustle and bustle of Wisconsin Dells. You can tell they really take care of these little trains, all the workers were very friendly (and also all volunteers as far as I know). This is a great place, and we will definitely return again in the future.