“A simple motel but w/free wifi and waterpark passes!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambers Hideaway

Ambers Hideaway
Ranked #22 of 71 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Chicago
“A simple motel but w/free wifi and waterpark passes!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I found this place on a Wisconsin Dells tourism website and because the name starts with an "A" it was the first hotel under special offers. When I saw the $69 rate that included Chula Vista waterpark passes I thought it was too good to be true so I checked Tripadvisor and was shocked to see it rated as the #3 hotel in the Dells. The reviews were so positive I decided to give it a try. The online reservation system was not working so I called and a very friendly woman took my reservation. We arrived about 1pm and our room was ready. At check-in I had to ask for our water park passes. The young man seemed shocked that we wanted them right away which I thought was odd because why else would I be staying here was my thought. He also gave us a bit of a hard time regarding the discount coupons to Knuckleheads. He insisted that I did not mention that package when I booked my room and that he couldn't give me the coupons because it was a different rate. When I explained that I paid $69/night and the Knucklehead rates was $69 he still insisted that he could not give me the coupons. Luckily a woman entered the office realized the ridiculous conversation that we were having and gave us the coupons. They did a great job of warning you that you need to take your own towels to Chula Vista and they sell towels for $8.99 that are much larger than the ones a Chula for their guests. The free wi-fi and iron/ironing board in the room were nice touches. The other guests hanging outside of their rooms at night and some kids running from room to room reminded me that we were in a $69/night property. We were bothered by children banging on our room door at 9am and then running away. After leaving the "Service Room" sign on our door and being gone for 6 hours I was shocked to return to an uncleaned room. When I called the front desk I was told that housekeeping marked that we had the do not disturb sign on the door. I was told that the only thing I could do was come to the front desk and pick up fresh towels. Once I made it perfectly clear that was not an option I was willing to take the owner was called and cleaned our room himself upon his return to the property. He cleaned so well in fact that he took our Ambers Hideaway towel that we had just purchased along with the bathroom towels. I went to the front desk and explained what happened and I was given a new towel.

If you need a inexpensive place to stay in the Dells, the room was large and pretty clean (our headboards and light fixtures were dusty) you might consider this place. I believe that the owners really try to deliver good service. I personally will not be back because the other guests smoking outside their rooms and letting their children misbehave is not my idea of a relaxing place to stay.

Room Tip: I preferred the second floor in order to be above the parking lot.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Thank you for your response. We try really hard to make everybody's stay as wonderful as possible. I am happy that front desk could accommodate you to a early check in before 3 pm. I believe in talking to the young lady to whom you spoke to while booking the reservation she honestly forgot to make a notation of the Knucklehead passes in the computer. This was one of her first days booking reservations. I apologize for that but I feel that I greeted you at the desk at check in and took control of the situation and presented you with the passes and other savings. We ask that if you need anything or any questions you can call 0 and somebody can help you all hours. If the people outside your room is not brought to our attention we cant rectify the situation. We have a smoke free room policy but we do ask guest to kindly smoke outside and be courteous to others. If the children running around were bothering you I wish I would of been notified I could of taken care of the situation. We express from 9 am - 10 am we do stay over service for all our guest. If house keeping has gone through they note if they did the service or if it was a DND. Upon speaking with every one on staff that day I believe the card was possible change after they passed the room. We tried our best to accommodate you and upon it being brought to our attention my husband personally cleaned the room in a timely manner. We try to give people the option to visit the Dell's and enjoy the water parks with out having to pay an astronomical price. We try our best to ask all guest to please be courteous to others and with in reason we let kids have fun and enjoy our amenities such as the playground area. We hope that if ever in the Dells you will give us a try again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
New Lisbon, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I wanted a getaway for the weekend and found Amber’s Hideaway. The hotel was clean and very well kept. The room was spacious and had just been remodeled. The staff was extremely friendly. It was the nicest place that we have stayed in the Dells as there was a lot more personal attention from the staff. We chose the hotel since we wanted to spend time together and this hotel was smaller so we didn’t have to contend with one of the big hotels and all the kids. We are definitely going to stay here again, it was an excellent value and a perfect evening!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Well I am glad we could help in making your weekend great!! We pride ourselves on keeping these room clean. We are not large like the big resorts where you would be lost in the shuffle, we want every one to feel welcome and personally taken care of. I am glad we could offer you that personal service. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
New Lenox
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

We stayed Easter weekend to take advantage of the special with Chula Vista's waterpark. I picked the hotel because they had the best deal, but was amazed at how good the room was. Staff was friendly and helpful, property was perfectly located, the grounds were pretty (with a nice outdoor pool and a big indoor hot tub), the room was spacious, and they had the most comfortable memory foam bed I've slept in at a hotel. We will DEFINITELY be back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, 2 August 2012
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you had a great Easter weekend with us. We look forward to your return with us. Sincerely, Tanya
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Although we came to the Dells mostly for family fun at the waterparks, I did not want to fork over an entire paycheck for 2 nights there , so after reading many reviews we decided on Ambers Hideaway. SO glad we did! We were able to check in at 12 and get our free Chula Vista passes but the room was not ready until 3(which is the normal time) . We were very close to the office on the main floor in a double queen. The room was huge! I am always nervous to stay in hotels, especially with children, but when we settled in to this one, I did not feel that way at all! Everything was spotless, loved the fact that the bathroom was large and in the back of the room. Our daughter has allergies and asthma and we also loved the fact that the heater/ac unit was in the back as well- away from the sleeping area. There was a coffee/micro/fridge (that was actually cold enough to put food in!) and an iron. Everything was so clean and fresh, and we were impressed. It was the quietest sleep we have ever had in a hotel room. Love the fact that it is close to shopping and downtown, yet far enough to be out of the noise. There is a city park nearby with a great playset that we used a few times too.

The owner was always around, printed out directions for me to an attraction, and my kids loved to stop and chat with her. She was very friendly...like a good neighbor :)

Along with Chula Vista passes, we received $10 admission coupons to Mt Olympus water and Theme park, and discounts for Knuckleheads. The Mt Olympus saved us 40.00 alone.
Since we came here in April our rate was 65/night. during the week. The 2 waterpark discounts paid for most of our stay! Such a value!

We might come back without the kids in August, and guess where we will be staying if we do....Ambers Hideaway!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor-steps from our door. Great if you have kids!
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It was a pleasure having you and your family here. Loved your girls they were so polite. I am happy that you felt so comfortable here with us and that we could offer everything you needed in your room. I really try hard to give the guest all the savings that I can by having a large assortment of discount coupons and passes to local attractions. I look forward to have you stay with us again and look forward to seeing your girls again.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Well, the title of my review pretty much sums it up. Packing up the family for a weekend at a crazy-busy, super-expensive water park is not my idea of fun and after reading the reviews for Amber's Hideaway I thought we might have found the perfect compromise. I'm happy to say, we did!

The location was great- very close to downtown and to Chula Vista (the water park you get passes for incl in your room price). We were able to enjoy the sights downtown the first day and decided to use our water park passes on the second day (though you can use them as much as you want while staying at Amber's). We spent a few hours at the water park which was enough and I didn't feel like we were wasting our money by not staying all day.

Our room at Amber's was SUPER clean and the beds were very comfortable. There is a nice little playground area for the kids which is next to the outdoor pool (this wasn't open yet, but looked great). There is also a nice indoor jacuzzi area off the lobby. In the morning they offered mini donuts, muffins, fresh fruit, coffee and hot chocolate in the lobby which made my kids happy. They ask you to be quiet after 10pm when they turn the majority of the outdoor lights down. It was really quiet even before that so noise wasn't a problem.

I really can't say enough good stuff about Amber's and our stay. We really enjoyed ourselves and will definitely be back!

Room Tip: I say stay on the first floor because you can park in front of your door which makes packing & u...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AmbersHideaway, Owner at Ambers Hideaway, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
I am so glad that you had a wonderful time here while visiting the Dells. I am glad that we could accommodate and please all your needs and wants. I am glad that you found us because like you said not everybody wants the hectic busy resorts and we are a great alternative. We look forward to having you stay with us in the future.