2,412 results
All reviews chop house underground tunnel all inclusive package junior suite the indoor water park wave pool full kitchen wisconsin river roller coaster off season great resort older kids two queen beds year olds a lot of fun mini golf family vacation
Reviewed 4 May 2011

My wife and I stayed at Chula Vista with our 6 year old daughter and two parents. We arrived Saturday afternoon at 3pm and checked out on Tuesday. Our room was ready and we were allowed to check in early, we were also given a late check out time also with a "no problem" upon the request. We stayed in a 2br condo that we booked through a condo owner. The check in experience was very smooth with no issues. The front desk staff was courteous and explained everything we would need to know. There were plenty of carts available for moving our luggage and food to the room and parking was readily available.

The condo was plenty spacious for 4 adults and one child and the full kitchen was certainly appreciated for snacks and a few light meals. Everything was clean and well maintained and housekeeping showed up every morning to refresh the towels and empty trash. There were no other maid services included during our 3 night stay which was fine with us. Some people complain about not getting fresh sheets every night, not really an issue for us as we don't change the sheets every night in our home (more like once a week) so why would we expect it just because we are in a hotel? Extended maid services were available for a small fee if desired which seems like a fair solution.

The hotel grounds were very nice looked to be in good shape. Nothing stood out as needing immediate attention from a maintinance perspective and it looked like they were doing upkeep during the time we were there.

The buffet was good and the prices seemed fair for what you got. The sports bar wasn't much of a bar, more of an extension of the buffet area. We spent most of our evening time in the condo or downtown so it wasn't an issue for us, definately would be more noticed with an adult group that wanted some nightlife. You'll be heading to town so take a cab or the shuttle, both nites we were out we were warned by the locals that the DWI patrol is pretty well enforced. 3-4 miles at 25 miles an hour on a curvey road.

Prices for most of the food and beverages at the water park are a bit spendy, but you ARE at a waterpark/entertainment center. Two options, accept that you are going to pay a bit more than you would at an offsite restaurant since it is basically the same at any amusement park or take a break and go up to your room/condo and make something yourself. Better food, gives the kids and you a break, and you won't have to complain about the high prices. We stopped at the grocery store downtown (5 minutes from Chula) on our way in and stocked the fridge, great for breakfast, snacks, and late night munchies.

Water park was in very nice shape in our opionion. We are not avid waterpark goers, however, this compared nicely to the 3-4 that we have been to. Certainly not as big as Kalahari, but we found it a nice size for our 6 year old to be able to go off on her own and not feel like she was going to get lost. The majority of the park is visible from most of the seating areas so you can keep tabs on the kids without being on top of them. She went on all the slides and played on all the inside areas and did not find any of it intimidating.

We visited April 30th - May 3rd so we did not have a chance to use any of the outside parks, pools, golf, etc...it all looked nice, just not open and the weather was still in the 40s.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would go back. It is a bit on the small side compared to some of the other parks in town, but this is also what we liked about it. I have no idea what it is like in the busy months though. We try to travel during the week for better pricing and to avoid lines. We also try to avoid holidays and traditional busy times. If the place was full, I could see how it may get a bit crowded real quick. The lifeguards were abundant and alert which we liked. They were also very nice and smiled when talked to them. The only complaint for the park itself would be the lack of tubes in the lazy river. Sunday - Tuesday wasn't really an issue as it was not very busy, however, Saturday was moderately busy and there was 2-3 times more people in the river than there were tubes. Maybe they can only have so many in the river at once, don't know and it really didn't seam like there were many tubes in the river, it did get to be a bit aggrevating when my 6 year old wanted to go on a 10 lap marathon and I had to walk 6 or 7 laps before a tube became available. Then again, in hind site, not really that big of a deal. One always became aviable with a little patience.

We didn't do "The Club" presentation so I have no comments on that. It was brought up by both the reservations person and the "concierge" (read, guy who will tell you were to get a bite to eat after he asks you if you want to go to the presentation for "The Club") prior to us going to our room upon arrival. Both were told that we were not interested and that was the last we heard of it.

Overall, we enjoyed our time at Chula Vista and would go back again. It was both my wife and my daughter's birthday over our stay and they both enjoyed themselves enough to ask when we could come back in the summer or fall. Good enough for me!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Bushrep
Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed 28 and 29 March 2011,in a Double Queen room across the street,not in the main hotel.The room was not bad,plenty of space for 2 adults 2 kids age 4 and 6. Everything worked in the room. Price was fair,about 225 for the two nights. The room was quiet all night long.
Did not use the shuttle service,just walked across the street.Was kind of cold. My two grand kids like water parks,but this water park was just too crowded. I thought there was a max occupancy limit on water parks. Could barely walk through the aisles Maybe there is not a good time to go to the Dells. Our last trip to the Dells.I will not even attempt to go to the Dells in the Summer time.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Paul B
chulavistaresort, Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

It is with great regret and concern that we have read your review of Chula Vista Resort and the problems you have had with our service.I would like to make an apology on behalf of Chula Vista Resort. We do realize there has been a problem with this matter for a while now and let me assure to you that we are taking all the steps we can to change it. We hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed at Chula Vista Resort for the 4th time in 10 years. We stayed on Monday-Wednesday.
We got a really great deal on the room (buy one night get one free using our Entertainment Book card). It ended up to be about $75 a night for a queen hotel suite after taxes and resort fees.

The waterpark was not crowded at all. We were able to get on all water rides right away and not waiting in line was priceless to us. The waterpark was staffed well and the employees were friendly and competent. Also, the game room was a big hit for the kids.

The hotel restaurants are very expensive so we ate elsewhere in town for most meals.

The hotel room was ok but not very special. We moved from one room to another due to problems, and both rooms had a weird odor. It wasn't real offensive and we got used to it quickly. The worst problems that we encountered were housekeeping issues like no cups, food left in refrigerator from prior guest, and housekeeping didn't come to clean our room and a few others.

We complained to management and they were very responsive and apologetic. They gave us vouchers to eat free at the buffet the next morning.

Overall, the hotel was a great value. The waterpark was perfect for our school aged children and the kids had a blast! The rides were thrilling enough to keep their interest for 3 days. They also have a section for toddlers and really young kids. I would definitely recommend this hotel to families with children ages 0-14.

Room Tip: Look for specials on Craiglist from Condo owners
Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank miabia03
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Our family was looking forward to an early spring get away in WI Dells while my 9 year old daughter was playing in a volleyball tournament. When we arrived we asked about getting rooms near to the rest of the families in our party as we had reserved a block of rooms. We were told that this would not necessarily happen. Our room ended up 3 floors down from anyone else in our party. The first night our neighbors decided to have a party that started at 11pm. We had 3 small children trying to sleep in our room. I called down the front desk at 11:30 to complain. I was assured that security would come up and deal with the issue, but if it persisted I should call again. Security never came up. I called again at midnight. Once again I was assured that security would come to the room, which never happend. I called again at 12:30 and asked to speak to a manager. I was told the manager was busy. I complained about the noice once again and was told that they would call security "again". I asked that security come to our room once they spoke to the group next door. Finally security came up and told me that if the problem persisted I should call again. At 12:45 we called again. This time security finally gave the group a written warning and the party ended around 1:00am. I never heard from hotel management. Before our departure I went to the front desk and all they could say was "I am sorry that happened to you". After arriving home, I emailed the hotel in one final attempt to get management to talk to me. It has been two weeks since our visit and even after specifically asking for a manager to contact me, I have heard nothing.

Room Tip: DOn't bother. Visit the Wilderness instead.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank denisem074
chulavistaresort, Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2011

Our management at Chula Vista Resort is truly concerned with our company performance and customer satisfaction. I can promise you that the highest quality standards will be met in the future because protecting our reputation for delivering quality service is a key priority for us. I apologize for our mistake and regret any inconvenience caused as a result. If there is anything else that we can do in regard to this matter, please don’t hesitate to contact our Guest Services Manager at 608-254-8366.

Reviewed 4 April 2011

We stayed at Chula Vista for a weekend wedding that we were in. We arrived in our room on Friday to drop off our bags before going to the rehearsal dinner. It absolutely reeked of stale stale smoke...it literally seemed like it was a smoking break room, and had been one for ays if not weeks or months. We didn't have time to complain or switch rooms and by the time we got back from the festivities of the night we were too tired to deal with it. We started preparations for the wedding first thing Saturday, but my fiancee called to ask that housekeeping febreeze the room and was told they'd get right on it. When we got back Saturday night at 2 am, it still stenched of smoke. We called the front desk and complained and said we'd come down to talk in the morning...we were to exhausted to switch rooms at that point. When I checked out I said that I wasn't comfortable paying the high price we did for the atrociously smelling room, but was told they couldn't do much, and that we should have said something earlier. They also claimed that according to their records my fiancee didn't complain on Saturday, so that's a testament to their record keeping (or lack thereof). I have a background in customer service and am shocked that the room wasn't comped. Honestly I would have preferred to stay at a cheap motel over the filthy room we paid a pretty penny for. Had our hands not been tied by the wedding, we would have been out of there before we even stepped five feet into the room...that is overwhelmingly disgusting it smelled. I told the manager I would gladly walk up to the room with a staff person, as I guarantee NO ONE could deny the stench. There was even a sign in the room that said it's no smoking and that there would be a $100 fee if there was smoke in there. Obviously the person before us didn't get charged the fee since the room wasn't cleaned of the smoke. We woke up with red burning eyes, (I'm allergic to tobacco smoke) and now all of our bags and clothes need to be drycleaned to get the stench out.

I have never stayed in such a smoky room and it's worse that Chula Vista is supposed to be one of the top hotels in the dells. I wish the situation hadn't been handled so poorly, because I may have been a salvageable customer. Now I am so utterly dissatisfied that I will never be a patron of Chula Vista again, and I definitely advise anyone who is not a fan of smoky rooms to keep their distance. Trust me you don't want to suffer through a miserable experience, and have to pay for it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends

It is with great regret and concern that we have read your review of Chula Vista Resort and the problems you have had with our service. I would like to make an apology on behalf of Chula Vista Resort. We do realize there has been a problem with this matter for a while now and let me assure to you that we are taking all the steps we can to change it. We hope that you will consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future. Thank you.