“Surprisingly good Mexican”

Ranked #35 of 114 Restaurants in Wauwatosa
Price range: US$ 15 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 February 2017

We've been to Habanero's a number of times, and each time my expectations are exceeded. Wisconsinites aren't used to good restaurants housed in strip malls as they are in other parts of the country. Food is always fresh, and recipes usually have a little tweak to them to make them, and you can tell each dish is made to order--only the basics are pre-made. Table-side guacamole is better than most. The beef is shredded chuck roast, naturally tender, and the pork is pulled as well. I most appreciate that food is not overly salty--you can actually taste each ingredient's flavors! Habanero's has become our go-to place for Mexican in the Wauwatosa area.

Date of visit: January 2017

Reviewed 22 December 2016

Once again it was time to use a coupon before it expired. Ordered margaritas which were tasty. However my interpretation of what a flavored on the rocks margarita was and how it got entered into the register resulted in a $1.25 difference. Which the server did correct but with a little attitude stating the menus needed to be redone. I had the Pollo La Paz. The chicken was outstanding. Extremely flavorful and the entree was served very warm. The vegetable side was nondescript. Frozen vegetables at best. My hubby had the poblana chimi and enjoyed. The buy one get one coupon did help keep our expenses down. A new location has opened on Layton Avenue. We look forward to giving it a try soon.

Date of visit: December 2016
2  Thank Wanda R
Reviewed 21 November 2016

I always recommend this place to my friends. One of my favorite restaurants, definitely my favorite Mexican. Love the sauces! Fresh guacamole made right at your table fresh.

Date of visit: November 2016
1  Thank FoodBaron999
Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

I got the 3-item lunch combo for 10$. It was very tasty but did not come with chips n salsa on the side as most restaurants do - i ordered extra and it jacked up my bill to 16$. Which I find a bit pricey. However, all in all the service and food was good. Much recommended place.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Enjoyed a great lunch today. Lunch was started off with chips and salsa. We ordered a half order of guacamole. My wife had the carnitas tacos(2). This came with Mexican rice and refried beans. I had 2 ground beef tacos that also came with Mexican rice and refried beans. I enjoyed my tacos so much that I added another. Great food at a good price. I would put the price range at cheap eats to mid-range depending on what is ordered.

Date of visit: September 2016