See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 March 2018

It is a very beautiful place for my family and I to visit. I had brought my entire family, once again to enjoy the stay. They have a very beautiful and cozy hotel and their service and staff was also very helpful. The lobby was really a lovely place to relax and my family and I even talked to the owners who were nothing but kind and appreciated with us coming back again to enjoy the stay. The breakfast was set out early in order for all of the guests that needed to check out early and the housekeeping service was also very clean. My family and I had loved the complimentary breakfast, which included amazing waffles to start the day with and, on the other hand, a fun pool, many slides for my children to enjoy and a hot tub and sauna for my husband and I to enjoy. Definitely would recommend this place to anybody that is a local or is passing by it is definitely worth the time to stay!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 September 2017

The only explanation as to why this place is still open is that it is literally the only hotel in Shell Lake.
I knew the second we walked in we were in for trouble. I had called ahead to ask if there was any way we could check in early. We flew in from Nevada for a wedding and arrived before we had initially planned. We were tired from the drive from the airport and had been on the go for two days. He did let us check in early (two whole hours)... but he wasn't nice about it.
There were zero other cars in the parking lot at that point so I can't imagine it could have been too much trouble for him (the owner/front desk guy/room 'cleaner', etc.) but he actually made a comment to me that, 'all these people coming for weddings think we can accommodate all of their requests all of the time and I'm not going to do it, it's ridiculous'
Ummmm, sir? You're a hotel owner...isn't accommodating people how you make your money? If it wasn't for this wedding your crappy hotel would be sitting empty this weekend so how about you appreciate your guests a little bit? Nope. Wasn't having it.
So after this little meltdown he had at the front desk he gives us the keys to our second floor room and watches us lug our suitcases up the stairs (no elevator) in the 95 degree heat (oh yeah, no AC on in the lobby either). We get to our room and it is stifling. Sun beating in the window and no AC running. Turn the room AC on, put some pastries we brought with in the fridge for later, change quick and head back out to meet up the wedding party.
Return about 6 hours later and the room is still 90 degrees. AC doesn't work. Go down to the front desk (because no one answers the phone) and tell him. He follows me upstairs and into the room because obviously I'm an idiot and just don't know how to turn it on.
Pulls the front of the unit off and starts messing around with it, then finally says he needs to swap out the board and do we want to wait in there while he does it? Or do we need to change rooms?
Well obviously we need to change rooms because its 178 degrees in here by this point and by the time you fix this thing and we get the room cooled down I'm going to be late for the wedding tomorrow.
So we pack up all of our stuff and I grab the treats we had put in the refrigerator to move with us. They're warm. The fridge had been unplugged. At this point, I am fit to be tied but I'm exhausted and just want to call it a day. I go BACK down the stairs to get the new keys from him because he certainly isn't going to bother to bring them upstairs for us, and he tells me to MAKE SURE I turn ALL THE LIGHTS OFF in the room we are leaving. Ok, pal. Whatever you say.
So we get a new room. Same crappy room as the first one. Everything either second hand or at least 30 years old. Blankets seemed like they hadn't been washed in weeks and the hand towels meant to pass as bath towels were like sandpaper. The toiletries were a joke so make sure you count on bringing your own if you for some odd reason HAVE to stay here. Everything had been unplugged again.
This guy is so cheap, yet is obviously rolling in cash based on the ridiculous vehicles of his he kept parked in the check-in drive up the entire time we were there. The breakfast was a joke, the 'bar' or whatever it is had its door closed the whole weekend and he was the only one working.
At the wedding the next day the hotel was a huge topic of conversation. Everyone was disgusted with the dirty rooms and the TERRIBLE customer service. A friend of mine told me he and his wife had accidentally both booked their room online so when he called to explain and cancel one he was told by the owner, 'Well that was stupid'
I'm surprised he didn't charge them anyway.
Never, and I mean never, would I EVER stay at any place this guy owns again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lala1275
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I spent only one night at this small hotel in Shell Lake. When I entered to check in, I had to dial a number to get service. The clerk is apparently also the housekeeping staff! I checked in at 4pm which is after check-in hours but my room was not ready yet. When I did get checked-in, I had to wait about 15 minutes. I arrived in my room to find a very basic room that had recently been sprayed with way too much air freshener. I found the room to be clean though worn. The same can be said for the towels, sheets and comforter. There was what looked like a small wine cooler in the room and decent television choices. The breakfast was sparse with only a few baked goods, make-your-own waffles, dry cereal and bananas along with coffee and juice. I would not go out of my way to stay here but though it was tolerable when you need something in this location.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank EatRDTravel
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The blanket which was on the bed had two spots of what appears to be two different "bodily fluids", and also two of the "clean" towels were dirty, one with lipstick. See 4 attached photos.

It was late when we got into the hotel room after my mother's funeral that day in March 2017 and these were on the bed we did not sleep in and we did not shower until the morning. When my girlfriend and I saw the stains on the other double bed we decided to check towels and other items in the room and found the stained towels.

We complained for our money back or some of our money back at least, and the owner Nick said, "If you stay overnight, there is no refund".

We filed a complaint with local police and the Wisconsin Health Department.

No refund as of August 8 2017

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
5  Thank atfbh2010
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Horrible service, screwed up on reservation twice, lied about pricing... ....the beds and pillows were uncomfortable...... the list goes on. Do not stay here. Very unprofessional and got gouged on the price

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family