“Very disappointed...”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Oshkosh
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Very disappointed...”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I was very disappointed with our last stay at this Holiday Inn Express. We have stayed here before with no problems and were pleased in the past. However, this time the room wasn't all that clean (cut toenail on floor in front of sofa, vacuuming along the edges of the rooms should be done or it's noticeable). The main complaint we have is that nowhere does this hotel state that it allows pets in all its rooms. After being barked at by a dog in the next room I asked politely at the desk what the policy was about pets. The not-so-friendly staff told me it was a pet-friendly hotel and pets were allowed in all rooms. They said it was stated so on the website. I have been to the website several times and nowhere do I find any statement regarding pets. Also, if one has asthma and is very allergic to cats and dogs one should not be staying in a room that has had a pet in it. When I mentioned this the staff told us, "We clean very well." (toenails? debris along the room edges?) Cleaning for an allergic person means cleaning EVERYTHING (furniture, pillows, beds, etc). Staying in this hotel put me at risk, a risk that I was unaware of, and we will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Be aware that they allow pets in every room, so, if you are allergic be careful.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank J D
HolidayInnExpressOsh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oshkosh-SR 41, responded to this review, 3 January 2012
Hello,

I am the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express-Oshkosh. I am so glad you choose to stay with us time and time again! I have read your comments and wanted to apologize about the issues that you stated during your stay.

Our hotel is a pet friendly hotel as most Holiday Inn brands are. We are listed as a pet friendly hotel on our hotel website (the section where there is a check mark by "pets" refers to us allowing pets at our location). We try to keep all pets on the first floor for easy access to the outdoors, but sometimes guests with pets will stay on the second floor depending on availability. After a guest has checked out of a room with a pet, our Housekeeping and Maintanence team go in and deep clean the room. The room is then ozonated for anything left over for a final cleanse. We do those procedures so guests with allergies such as yourself can have no worries in the room.

We have not had an issue with edge vaccuming in our rooms before and I thank you for your concern. We routinely edge vaccum all of our rooms in a timely fashion. Our Executive Housekeeper has looked into your comments in detail and has re-inspected the room that you stayed in and also the rest of the hotel rooms for signs of small debris. Also, all of our bedding is cleaned and refreshed daily.

The Front Desk is aware of our pet policy. I do apologize if you felt they were coming across in a negative way, but are happy to have pets in our hotel for our pet lover guests. We also do have a concern for the guest who may have an allergic reaction to pets who may want to stay at our hotel. Therefore, the front desk does take pride in our staff that our rooms are cleaned and prepared for incoming guests at anytime.

If you would like to discuss this further I would be hapy to speak with you at anytime. Our staff does hope that you will come back and join us again. We do appreciate your loyalty to our hotel and hope that you will join us again in the future.

Kevin Johnson

The entire staff and I have read your review on Trip Advisor.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Way overpriced for the value. Non-friendly staff, inconvenient entrance (no electric doors), below average breakfast.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HGI-Mayfaire
HolidayInnExpressOsh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oshkosh-SR 41, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Hello Hilton Garden Inn!

I am Kevin Johnson, the General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Oshkosh. I'm glad you had the opportunity to stay at our hotel. We usually do not have Hilton Garden Inn staff or affiliates stay at our Holiday Inn Express being that there is a Hilton Garden Inn property in the area, so I am so happy to hear that you decided to stay with us!

Our rates at the hotel fit in with the high demand in our area and meet up with the other lodging properties around our location. Oshkosh is a very busy city in Wisconsin for business, leisure, and pleasure with all of the conventions and special events that are held.

I do apologize if you felt as if our staff was not up to par in customer service. We pride ourselves with our strong work ethic and great customer service feedback we receive on-line and in-house. Our hotel is known for its traditional and at home feel. The standard manual doors is a reflection of that style. Our deluxe complimentary breakfast includes sausage, bacon, biscuits/ gravy, eggs, toast, muffins, cereal, oatmeal, juice bar and many other items. Also, the breakfast was just refreshed this year with a new Pancake Machine, the only one our area and our guests enjoy them as if they were made freshly in their own home!

I hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future! I am sure your stay will be enjoyable. I would like to discuss the details of your previous stay to get a better understanding of the service you received. Please contact me at anytime at the hotel directly.

St. Paul
Reviewed 19 October 2011

I was surprised that this was a Trip Advisor picked hotel for 2011. Bed was comfortable; room was spacious; exercise room was good enough however overall feel of the hotel is outdated...decor; carpet...it needs some TLC...people are nice and breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BriN188
HolidayInnExpressOsh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oshkosh-SR 41, responded to this review, 20 October 2011
Hello,

I am Kevin Johnson, The General Manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Oshkosh, WI. I want to thank you for taking the time out to complete a Trip Advisor survey!

Your warm comments about our staff's kindness and our new deluxe breakfast will be shared with the entire staff. They love to hear great feedback from our guests!

The hotel's decor is known for its classical and vintage feel throughout the lobby and hallways. Also, our hotel guest rooms were remodeled with new bed linens/style, furniture, and newly remodeled bathrooms with a modern decor.

We hope that you will stay with us again in the future and enjoy our hotel staff''s services and deluxe complimentry breakfast!

Michigan
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions. Every year I go back the hotel seems to be more worn, as one may expect. However, they are not paying attention to the little details like mold around the shower enclosure and the shower head having hard water rust caked on it. The staff is generally friendly except the morning I checked out. I asked for an extended checkout time and was greeted with shock and dismay. Of all things, the Packer fans were coming in early and we had to go.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank TheTFamily04
HolidayInnExpressOsh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oshkosh-SR 41, responded to this review, 12 September 2011
Hi,

Thank you for Trip Advisor response. I am Kevin Johnson, the GM of the Holiday Inn Express in Oshkosh, WI. I wanted to address all of your issues during your stay. We appreciate guest like you who let us know your issues so we can solve them right away.

This is the first complaint we have had about mold in any part of our hotel. Mold is a serious issue, and our executive housekeeper and maintanence department are very concerned and doing a full hotel inspection today to check for your specific issue.

Packer season is a busy time for us :)! Our hotel is usually sold out and we have to follow specific guidelines and procedures for a successful check in and check out.

Our hotel was built in 1997, so we do have some years behind our belt. We did have a full room remodel to all of our rooms in 2009 with new bathroom furnishings, new bedding, and fresh painting. Also, new items added to our breakfast buffet and new fitness center equipment!

We look forward to seeing you again during your visits the the Oshkosh area. Please stop in to say hello!

Central Illinois
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed here for a single night. Overall, it was a very nice stay in a very nice and well-maintained facility. Only thing that left a bad taste in my mouth was paying $140+ for the room. (Note to Holiday Inn Express: you are not worth $140+ a night, especially considering this facility is located next to a Lowe's and a Culver's in a suburban shopping / dining area.) Common areas including hallways and exercise room were clean with no funky smells. Lobby is impressively large and very tastefully decorated. Staff were friendly. Breakfast was very, very nice.... pre-made egg/cheese omelets, bacon, biscuits/gravy, etc. Outside of facility was clean and nicely landscaped.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
HolidayInnExpressOsh, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Oshkosh-SR 41, responded to this review, 29 August 2011
Hello,

I am Kevin Johnson, the General manager of the Holiday Inn Express in Oshkosh! I thank you for taking the time to add your comments on our Trip Advisor page. Our staff looks forward to the feedback from our service and I will share your warm comments with them.

Our hotel is in the heart of Oshkosh, WI and we are the event city of Wisconsin. Summer is our busiest season of the year and the city of Oshkosh has alot to offer so our prices sometimes change during our peak seasons. We do offer AAA, AARP, Advance purchase rates and other discounts on certain travel websites that are open to the public anytime during the year.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and we look forward to assisting you with any of your needs in the future!