“Good price, but I underwhelming taste”
Review of World Buffet

World Buffet
Ranked #37 of 48 Restaurants in Monona
Reviewed 22 November 2016

We tried the World Buffet for lunch today. There's lots of tables and booths although the booth seats seem very low to the ground. Our waitress was pleasant and friendly.

The buffet has many sections and lots to choose from: a Mongolian Grill with ingredients to combine for your own stir-fry, a sushi area, a Chinese food bar; an American food and appetizer bar, a salad bar and a dessert bar. The price was only $8.50 which is an excellent price for all of those options.

The ingredients in the Mongolian Grill section looked fresh and there was a cook there to prepare your food. I didn't try this, but I suspect this may have been the best option for the most quality food.

We did try some of the sushi options. Nothing stood out as being fresh or particularly tasty. It reminded me of the boxed sushi from HyVee -- OK, if that's all there is, but I wouldn't seek it out.

The salad buffet also didn't appeal to me. I did see numerous dressings and ingredients but I wasn't there for salad.

Same for the dessert buffet. Pretty standard stock of puddings, ice-creams, and pre-made cakes, none of which usually appeal to me.

I concentrated my efforts on the appetizers and Chinese food buffets. I tried the eggroll (terrible), the dim sum roll (ok), and the gyoza (good). The chicken teriyaki skewer was OK. The sesame rolls were light and fluffy on the outside but I didn't care for the sticky fruity inside. On the Chinese buffet the one dish which stood out and I went back for was the "sesame" chicken. It seemed more like salt and pepper chicken to me, but it was outstanding. I do recommend that dish. The rice and lo mein noodles were bland, the glass noodles were better but not great. We tried chili chicken wings, beef with mushrooms, chicken and broccoli, twice-cooked pork, etc. Nothing was bad but nothing was particularly tasty either. I left stuffed but not impressed by the experience.

If you are after a wide variety of food at a reasonable price, this is a good option. But if you are looking for an outstanding tasting experience, I would give this a pass.

Date of visit: November 2016

Reviewed 21 September 2016

I've eaten here many times. It's great if you're really hungry because you can usually find something that appeals. The food is pretty good and there's quite a large variety.
The seats in the restaurant need to be replaced bc they aren't comfortable. They keep the buffet clean & the dishes full.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 5 February 2016 via mobile

This place is very low quality. The food is bland no flavor and some of the food from the buffet was cold. The worst thing about this place is the filith that is caked into everything. The seats the walls the windows and the floor. This place is disgusting and the owners should be ashamed to let anyone inside. The owners and workers take no pride in this place. Avoid at all costs.

Date of visit: February 2016
Reviewed 20 January 2016

I have eaten here many times. However my experience the other night was fantastic. Food was really fresh for buffet. The guy making Sushi was funny and you could chose items at Mongolian grill to be prepared fresh if you like.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 25 May 2015

We were seated and our drink orders were taken. The server returned with 5 sodas that she place out of our reach, she left and returned with the glass of water and placed it with the other drinks, still our of our reach and she then dropped 6 straws next to the drinks and walked away. We then went to the grill area and made our selections that we wanted cooked. We waited for the grill cook to take our plates and as he took them he stated "you come back in 10 minutes". I watched where he placed my order on the grill and left to have some salad. When I returned I was in time to see him place my order on a plate and set in on the side of the grill, making no attempt to see that the orders were given to the correct customer. My order had several items mixed in with it that I had not selected (Good thing I do not have any food allergies!) I did observe several customers that were given the wrong orders and told that it was their fault for not keeping track of their orders. The grill cook was very rude and even told one lady that she put too much sauce on her food and then proceeded to loose her order. The manager was no help in correcting the problem and we all left very disappointed, we have enjoyed eating her in the past but after todays experience we will not return.

Date of visit: May 2015