“How can you argue with a home-cooked breakfast?”
Review of Red Rooster Cafe

Red Rooster Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Family owned cafe located in historical downtown Mineral Point. Serving fresh Cornish pasty daily for over 40 years. Breakfast served all day. We appreciate your business!
Reviewed 12 September 2011

I enjoyed several breakfasts here during various visits and have never had a bad meal. The eggs benedict, for example, are wonderful. Fresh ingredients, homemade. Classic counter restaurant makes a complete "U' loop, with a few tables along one wall. Lots of vintage ambiance! Easy to get to in the heart of the Mineral Point's downtown. Walked there from my hotel at Shake Rag Alley. Great place to eavesdrop on locals and find out what's going on in and around town. People are friendly and talkative.

Reviewed 19 June 2011

If you are near House on the Rock, then you must stop in Mineral Point. It's a beautiful, old Wisconsin town, walking tours, old homes, etc... But we went to the restaurant for breakfast, and it was fantastic! We loved their breakfast options, my husband had a spinach & mushroom quiche, I had the veggie skillet (VERY FILLING!) and the kids' were satisfied with their Mickey Mouse pancakes. A cup of coffee was $.75, that's almost unheard of these days! Because this is a Cornish community, try the Figgyhobbin! Never heard of it before, but it is a delicious dessert served warm. They also feature the Pasty, but we didn't try that, but woudl definitely make the road trip for it!
I highly recommend going there!

2  Thank Love2Ctheworld1117
Reviewed 12 August 2010

We had breakfast here on a Saturday morning two weeks ago. If you want true local color you won't be disappointed with the Red Rooster. There is a large U shaped bar in the middle of the cafe where groups of farmers and local gadflies congregate for coffee and conversation.

It's the kind of place you would take foreign visitors to show them real "Americana." I live in the Midwest but still find this sort of dining experience unique.

Food was actually terrific. I had corned beef and poached eggs, and the corned beef was crispy, the eggs were perfect, and the toast hot and buttery-like the English do. My husband had "pigs in blankets" and the pancakes were hot and fluffy, the sausage just fried up.

We had to wait a bit, but the food was quite obviously cooked just for us. The restaurant has some history to share, so you can read the menu fronts and backs with newspaper accounts and photos while you wait. They are known for the Cornish "pasties" that they make daily. But this seems to be more of a lunch item or we would have tried them.

The Cafe is smack in the middle of downtown Mineral Point, and it is very pleasant to walk around the historic downtown with its multitude of stone buildings. Would recommend.

2  Thank 52,761
Reviewed 15 May 2010

I went to Mineral Point for the Tri-County ATV trail with my friends. I had chicken wings, and a chocolate malt. The malt was amazing! That is the thing I would recommend most.

1  Thank the1andonlytony
Reviewed 17 March 2010

To start, the service was great. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. She was not only helpful with the menu and the items on it but also very knowledgeable about the town and the surrounding area. The atmosphere in this restaurant is also very relaxing. We were told the resaurant has been family owned and operated for over 30 years which explains why the service and atmosphere are so great.
The food was excellent. We went their for breakfast and it was amazing (try the breakfast scrambler). We read about the Cornish Pasty in the menu when we were their for breakfast and decided we had to go back for dinner to try it. The pasty was very good and just as it was described in the menu. The owner makes the pastys fresh every morning at 5 am and they come hot out of the oven during lunch time. The waitress explained to us that the pasty is naturally a little dry because the miners used to take them down the mines with them in their shirt pockets but we still found them to be delicious. I had the individual style pasty which has a little more crust than their pan style pasty. If you are a person who finds the pasty to dry the will gladly bring you ketchup, chili sauce, or a side of their homemade gravy (all of which would compliment the pasty very well I am sure). The pasty was also served with a dinner roll and a homemade side (the choices when I was there were cole slaw, cucumber salad, potatoe salad, or my favorite wilted lettuce salad topped with hot bacon dressing). I also had the bread pudding topped with hot carmel sauce and whipped topping for desert (absolutely amazing). If you are not a fan of the cornish pasty they also have a full menu and daily specials which also looked great.

1  Thank MmmmmmChicago