“Great Pork Shank”

Cuisines: German, Swiss
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Old World 3rd St. and Highland Ave.
Description: Mid-America's most honored German restaurant. Since 1902, this Milwaukee landmark has been serving American Presidents, and celebrities America's finest German cuisine. You'll dine surrounded by a $4 million collection of medieval suits of armor, wood carvings, oil paintings, two-handed swords, crossbows and magnificent stained glass. Ranked by TripAdvisor, and every publication in our state that ranks dining spots as Wisconsin's best German restaurant. Free adjacent parking.
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Delightful food/wine paring suggestions made experience most pleaant. Atmosphere quite authentic also.

1  Thank llindesm

Reviewed 26 April 2017

I had dinner at Maders on my birthday along with 7 other attendees of a Milwaukee conference I was attending. Others had organized the dinner and I was happy to find they had picked Maders as it had been recommended to me by the fellow I sat next to on the plane during my flight to Milwaukee.

Maders was conveniently located in downtown Milwaukee. The restaurant was founded in 1902 and the halls are decorated with photos of celebrities who have dined there, ranging from Gerald Ford to Frank Sinatra. The atmosphere of authentic German restaurants I've experienced during trips to Germany. We were comfortably seated at a round table in the rear dining room and even though the room was full during our visit, the noise level was never enough to interfere with conversation at our table.

Our waitress was awesome. She kept track of all our orders and presented each of us with a check for what we had ordered. I had a Radler (combination of beer and lemonade) which was served in an old time half liter beer stein. We shared an order of Reuben rolls for the table (sort of like a reuben sandwich in an egg roll.) A friend and I shared the Rhineland sampler which was split for us in the kitchen at no extra cost. I'm glad we decided to share because neither of us was able to finish our dinner. It would be difficult to live on a steady diet of heavy German food (not a green vegetable in sight), but it was fun for a night in Milwaukee.

My friends alerted the kitchen to the fact that it was my birthday and I was presented with a slice of Black Forest cake along with a serenade of happy birthday from waitstaff,

2  Thank JustOneBoomer
Reviewed 24 April 2017

Stopped in just for a drink. It had been years since I was here. It looks the same, well maintained. I like these old-time places. Bartender was awesome!

1  Thank MurWI
Reviewed 18 April 2017

I had just left a pub down the street where I had bad food and just dropped into have a beer and see if the Reuben Rolls were any good for a future stop. The Hostess said they were amazing, and she went so far and above great service I can not even do it justice here! The Reuben Rolls are amazing! They sound weird, but they are great. The bartender was great. You cant go wrong here...

2  Thank dannys58
Reviewed 16 April 2017

Wunderbar. Savory schnitzels, sumptuous sauerbraten, righteous rouladen and red cabbage and sweet strudel. The best of all however, is the braised pork shank, which you must try at least once in your life.

2  Thank Hiexpectations48