“Milwaukee athletic club magical” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Milwaukee Athletic Club

Milwaukee Athletic Club
Mequon, Wisconsin
“Milwaukee athletic club magical”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed here last Saturday,Jan.7th..The room was big,and,beautiful!The shower worked perfectly,and,the staff was awesome...
We had dinner in the "Elephant room"..I had bone in Rib eye,and, my wife enjoyed the Halibut..Both were delicious...A great place...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

My experience started after a long day at work when I finally arrived at the hotel. The gentleman at the front desk that checked me in could not be more helpful or friendly. He made sure that I had the wi-fi access code, made very nice small talk and even gave me a toothpaste (TSA took mine). My room is was on the tenth floor,and when I got off the elevator, I knew I was in trouble.

All of the finishes are from the mid-60s. What must have been a really beautiful ceiling has been replaced with 1950's type foam tiles that are typically used to cover up a major water problem, or years of smoking or both. My room was a nice size, but again, seemed to be 1000 years old. The carpet was old, the curtains looked like they had been hanging there since the Carter administration and all of the furnishings were clearly at least 30 years old.

The bathroom looked to be the same vintage - 1960s- and not charming 1960s. It was all a pee colored tile. I have to say that all though dated, the place is most definently clean. The bathroom was emaculate, all of the grout was clean and in place and even the very old carpet was well cleaned - but 30 some years of hotel guests leave their mark and even though it seemed clean, it didn't give you a clean feeling. The room smelled like a Super 8 next to the interstate - the kind that have doors that open to the outside if you know what I mean...There was a flat panel TV with a pretty good cable TV channel selection, and my room had a clock radio with an Ipod capable dock.

Per other reviews, the wi-fi does not work well (at least in the room I stayed in), and I ended up just using my smart phone for any internet I needed at the hotel. The real downer was that the water never got even remotely hot in the shower. It seemed to get warm when you ran a bath, but the stopper was busted in mine, so a bath was out of the question. I ended up just showering in the athletic club facility, which is nice enough, but it's nice to be able to shower in the morning in your room.

When I checked in, the front desk man commented that he couldn't believe the rate I got (70.00/night). I got this rate because someone at my job is a member and has the status to get this rate. If my job weren't paying for the hotel, I would have been really disappointed if I spent $70.00 of my own dollars to stay in this worn out place. $50.00 would feel like the right price, and you wouldn't enjoy it at that - you would just be glad you weren't out more.

One nice touch was that in the halls, they had tons and tons of pictures of the place in its hay-day. I was left wondering, why have they not updated this place. On the outside and main floor,this is a stunning building. The athletic club is very nice, and it seems to be an exteremely well situated location for business travelers. In the men's locker room,a lot of ther other guys seemed to be young professionals that could get out a good word on this place to their employers, business contacts, etc. $2 Million dollars would go so,so to update the rooms with new flooring, bathrooms,furnisings, beds and re-do the hallways. This could be an exteremely grand hotel,and I can only assume that it's greed that has kept them from making the investment. If this hotel were remodeled, I would absolutely stay here again, and think that it would be a gem of the city. As it stands,despite the polite service, I will most definently not be back.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must stay here, I would ask for a corner suite (I didn't have one), maybe it w...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MN_PAUL

Travellers are raving about these Milwaukee hotels

LaPorte, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

My boyfriend I stayed at the Milwaukee Athletic Club, because a wedding receptions we were attending was held there. The cocktail room, wedding reception room and brunch rooms were beautiful and the food was great! The hotel rooms were extremely outdated. The coffee maker didn't work and several of the outlets did not work. The front desk staff was rather snooty, but the staff in the bar were very polite. If you are not staying here for an event I suggest looking just a few blocks down at some nicer hotels for less or the same price.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laporte1
Chicagoland area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights in August 2011. I lived in Milwaukee for 24 years and never knew the Milwaukee Athletic Club also had hotel accomidations. Our room was very large, but very outdated. I would guess the furnishing were from the 70's and the bathroom reminded me of a gym bathroom. The whole place reminded me of a men's executive club in the 70's.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2011

The staff at the bar need to stop walking around with their nose in the air. Your a bartender! The bathrooms smelled worst then the pissed filled subways in new York, the rooms are way way out dated! Only thing good about this place was the view!

• Stayed October 2011