“Lots of Horsepower”

Ranked #2 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
toronto
“Lots of Horsepower”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Iron Horse twice since its opening.
I have to say that it's a real treat to finally have some choice when traveling to Milwaukee and this hotel is by far the only establishment I plan to stay at next time in town.
This unique boutique hotel (housed in an old Harley Davidson factory) is thoroughly genuine, comfortable, green, friendly and lots of fun.
The lobby, rooms/suites, bar and restaurants are all well designed with a compliment of "harley" museum signature pieces that are perfectly placed throughout the hotel..
You feel like you are taking a slight step back in time but surrounded by all the modern day amenities.
The restaurant menus are "comfort" based, well balanced and the food is quite good.
The hotel sits adjacent to a train track but it only seems to add to the overall experience.

My congratulations to the hotel owner for developing such a great hotel concept, to the hotel management for their nearly flawless day to day execution and to the staff for providing some of the friendliest service ever experienced.

(The only one little negative comment I would make is that the perfume sprayed when entering the hotel lobby aggrevated rather than stimulated my senses).

I highly recommend that you drop in to the Iron Horse next time you are in Milwaukee....
It's well worth the experience!!

Room Tip: Try not to stay on the side of the hotel with the train track or near the outdoor bar area in the su...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
JamesValona, Director of Guest Experience at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
This has to be one of the best titles for a review that we have received and I'm happy to hear that you had such an amazing time. Thank you so much for the compliments on our staff and the hotel itself!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 April 2012

The hotel is beautiful. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but lots of attention to detail. They gave us cocktails when we checked in...I like that!

They have a library with cozy seating, fireplace, tons of books and games. We ordered beers and played uno and jenga on a Saturday afternoon.

The food in the lounge is unique and everything I've had has been good. Smyth was a typical fine dining resturant...nothing amazing.

Highly recommend staying here, drinking here, and eating in their lounge.

Room Tip: Beware it's by a train track...light sleepers request a quieter room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris M
JamesValona, at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
I am so happy To hear that you were able to enjoy the Library. We love it when our guests go in there and hang out by the fireplace or setup the monopoly board. It really is one of my favorite spaces in the hotel. We hope to have you with us again!
South Haven, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed at the Iron Horse for a very brief stay to present at a business conference. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer....this is one of the most unique hotels I've ever stayed in. From the original brick wall in my guest room, to the FANTASTIC barbecued rib "small plate" app that I had in the bar. The murals on the walls in the guest rooms are beautiful. Unlike anything I've seen before. Service was fantastic. And the bathroom...the shower head is the "rain" type head and is almost a foot wide. Plus you get robes to wear and relax in the room. Complimentary bath/shower amenities are top notch, as is everything else at this hotel. Don't bother going out for meals....the food at this place can't be beat. Every little detail is attended to....far too many to include in one review. Check this place out....you won't be sorry!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank SchermerhornTraveler
Thank you so much for the amazing review! I am sorry that you weren't able to stay longer but at least it gives you a reason to come see us again. Thank you again.
Waukegan, Illinois
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I took my boyfiend here for his 54 birthday we I rented the corner alcove king room, The decor was awesome, and the food, service and the way they treated you was impeccable any thing you asked for they would do what ever they could to get it for you, Yes it is pricey, but worth it. The only thin I would say. is if your a light sleeper and are bothered by trains rumbling and jerking in the wee hours either use the ear plugs provided or ask for a room not near the train tracks, our room was righ above the train and a few times it did make a pass and was a bit loud, other than than that there is nothing I can say bad about this hotel we will be back.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the rail road tracks if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ldyfirefighter1
JamesValona, Front Office Manager at Iron Horse Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
I am so happy to hear that you had a great time and that your boyfriend had a great birthday. We hope to have you back again soon!
Marquette Mich
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Very stylish decor in public areas and the rooms. Interesting art elements and theme. Easy access to downtown. However, for over $200/night with parking, taxes etc I was disapointed that the stylish shower was not clean. Housekeeping needs to actually bend over and scrub in the corners. Toiletries were not replenished on the second day. I signed up with "Desires" and promised snacks were not delivered. Was I supposed to be wowed by the decor and not notice the penny pinching in the details?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fifi w
Thank you so much for the review. I am so sorry to hear about your experience with the cleanliness of your room and not receiving your Desires Amenity. This is never acceptable. Please feel free to contact me directly at jvalona@theironhorsehotel.com. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you.