“Good Food Slow Service”

Pastiche Bistro & Wine Bar
Ranked #438 of 1,629 Restaurants in Milwaukee
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 35
Description: Pastiche at the Metro is serving classic French cuisine in the heart of downtown Milwaukee. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or your special event! Located inside the historic Hotel Metro we have space for your events up to 150 people!
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Came here for dinner with friends, on their recommendation and preference. Happily they have valet service for parking as finding a spot can be difficult in this area.

It was busy the night we arrived for dinner and there were no tables available in the dining room so we happily accepted a table in the bar where the full menu is available. We explained that we had a show to get to and that we needed to finish dinner by a certain time. We had over an hour for salad and dinner, should have been enough. Wasn't.

I had the Cesar salad and the rack of lamb. The salad earns only average marks but the rack of lamb was outstanding! I know there is only so much you can do with a Cesar salad but even so, some are better than others. This one was kind of sad. Some romaine leaves and croutons with little dressing. My friend had the pear salad and was in love. She had ordered it here before and highly recommends it. The rack of lamb was done perfectly and was a real treat! We ended up missing the show so we ordered dessert. I had the chocolate something which was incredibly rich. I couldn't finish it. I would suggest splitting it with someone if you want to indulge.

Reviewed 31 January 2018

A couple invited us and another couple to be their guests. We've looked at their menu in the past and there's never anything on it that grabs us, but we didn't want to decline the invitation. It was a Sunday night and they put us in the back at a comfortable table for six. There is free valet parking if you pull up on the Mason Street side of the Hotel Metro. Our waiter was very attentive, but there were only two other patrons in the restaurant so it would have been pretty shocking had he given us poor service. One person ordered escargot to share with the table, and another ordered baked brie to share. My husband and I passed on both. Drinks were a coffee, a coke, 4 glasses of wine, and 2 old fashions...we were the tea totalers. Drinks were large, my coke came in a 6 oz bottle that the waiter left for me to pour. For entrees the three of us ladies each had the Skate fish which was cooked in brown butter and covered with a jar of capers. It came with a delicious potato wedge and haricot verts. My husband ordered chicken, which he didn't care for and picked at; another had sweetbreads, and the last gentleman had lamb chops. Five of us practically licked our plates and wanted seconds. For dessert the other 4 passed around something chocolate, flourless with raspberry sorbet, which once again my husband and I declined. I didn't have any, but the table raved about the baguette bread. Here was the wonderful part of the evening...it was well below zero that night and lightly snowing. When the valet brought our cars they were fully heated! More so than just having been parked indoors...our waiter must have alerted valet parking that we were getting ready to leave and they warmed them up well in advance of delivering the cars. We tipped him $5 before getting into the car and finding it to be nice and cozy, so we felt badly that we hadn't given him more. I would assume the bill came to around $325.00 or more. If you like French food with small portions you might want to give this a try. It has a very lovely atmosphere.

1  Thank LadyM005
Reviewed 9 January 2018 via mobile

Two of us had dinner here before going to see a show at nearby Marcus Center. They have a "theater menu" which identifies their faster food options. The theater menu includes a soup/salad starter, entree, and dessert for roughly $40. We had the French onion soup (excellent) and beet salad (pretty good), ratatouille (yum! A lighter dish) and the poulet (chicken stuffed with mushrooms, also excellent) and the creme brulee and chocolate ganache for dessert (both were excellent). Honestly, 2 people can easily split a single dessert. With 2 glasses of wine, tax, and tip, it was over $100, which seemed a little high for what it was, but for a downtown restaurant, it's about what you'd expect to pay for dinner.

If you're not ordering off the theater menu, plan on dinner being about 90 minutes.

1  Thank Meg H
Reviewed 27 December 2017

The chef knows what he is doing, as do the service people. Medium sized place in a hotel downtown. What else could you ask for? All the food we ordered was well prepared, and took those of us who had been to France back to the little family restaurants there. The cassoulet was wonderful, and perfect on a winter night. Our francophobe ordered steak frites, which was as fine as I have seen on this side of the Atlantic. The menu is not long, but it is finely, perhaps lovingly, prepared and presented. I would return here, and look forward to the visit.

1  Thank Francis C
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

I give up ! I thought going to a French themed hotel , Hotel Metro ,and eating at the French restaurant inside ,that we would have a reasonable expectation to have French food. We assumed it would be prepared properly since there were only six people in the restaurant and it was BREAKFAST! The service was OK the coffee was great and ordered some croissants. We wrongly thought they would come from Rocket Baby bakery in Wauwatosa. Or Reginas another from scratch baker of croissants , tough to get right ... UNLESS YOU ARE A FRENCH RESTERAUNT! Those bakers are known for their made from scratch croissants and this place had them previously. Apparently they cost too much we were told and they just bought frozen ones. What a great start we had the food , wow , it was not only awful but cold ,expensive and lacked flavor. They missed half my order, did I mention this is breakfast and there are six people in the restaurant?

We had no drinks , they comped us one of the meals because of it so cold we couldn't have it , and the bill still came to over $40. I guess this is why I give up , how do you go to French hotel in the French restaurant inside and have food that is on par with a chain diner? Don't waste your time or your money spend it on a beret !