“Classic Hotel”

Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Milwaukee
Tucson, AZ
“Classic Hotel”
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at the Knickerbocker for two weeks in February. I was very impressed with the hotel, my room (818), and the hotel personnel. The lobby and hallways have been updated....very classy (in an old fashion way).

My room has been recently remodeled and was perfect for a long stay. Wood floors, comfortable furniture, and modern kitchenette. Bathroom was clean, but old fashion (but who should care).

Knick restaurant in the building for sandwiches and light meals. Good bar. County Clare Irish Restaurant just around the corner.....great pub and pub food.

Quiet neighborhood. Hotel has a secure parking lot.

A very pleasant hotel

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AZ PAUL
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We were put up at the Knickerbocker for a wedding back in September. I was a little apprehensive after reading the reviews but our weekend turned out just fine. There are, however, many quirks that come with a stay at the Knickerbocker and the differences between rooms can make or break your stay.

We had a one bedroom suite with a kitchenette that really came in useful since we had a six-month old baby with us. We were able to use it to make and store his food, etc. It was also nice to have glasses, silverware, a corkscrew and bottle opener that I didn't have to go searching for. The living room was a decent size and we thought that there would be a pullout couch but we had to call for a rollaway. The bedroom was a little tight but our queen bed was very comfortable.

Like many others, we had a 19" tube tv in our suite. That would have been fine with me but there was no remote control and we only got about 10 channels. There was also a dvd player sitting there but it was not hooked up to the tv and there was no way to hook it up as they didn't have the right cables. At least the wi-fi worked once we called down to the front desk to get the password. The bathroom was clean and we had good water pressure - no complaints there.

There was plenty of parking the weekend we were there (and there were two weddings staying at the hotel) to the point that we were able to get an extra spot for my sister-in-law who was watching the baby. Parking is $10 a night. We also didn't hear much of anything while we were there. Given that other reviews mentioned noise I was expecting much worse.

The Knick restaurant has a good brunch and we at there both mornings. The Irish place around the corner is great too.

Overall, this would not the be the first place I would pick if I was returning to Milwaukee. But if you have to stay here it's really not that bad. A lot depends on which room you get though as I had friends stay in a room that was much different than mine.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank larbear76
Dover, Vermont
Reviewed 6 October 2011

We really liked the Knickerbocker. Conveniently located near Juneau Park and the Art Museum, with turn-of-last-century style, it offers great value with a kitchenette and friendly service.We'll go back!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Greenie5584
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Very nice historic hotel in a beautiful spot in Milwaukee Wisconsin. It's within walking distance to Lake Michigan and Juneau Park, downtown Milwaukee, Brady Street and more. After reviewing the other reviews, I think the thing to know is many of the rooms have been upgraded so you need to request an upgraded room. Also, many of the rooms have a view of Lake Michigan. Our room was clean with new carpeting, new bedding, big flat screen TV, etc. Many of the rooms have large kitchens and a sitting area which is really nice. Bottom line, I would recommend staying at this hotel but ask for an upgraded or renovated room. And if you want to spend a little more, request a room with a view.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room and if you want, a room with a view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank gsculp
Chicago
Reviewed 19 September 2011

After reading some of the reviews about the Knickerbocker I was a little concerned. A friend of mine had booked a block of rooms for her wedding and I'd already made the reservations before I saw these reviews and it made me a little nervous. I really had nothing to fear. We stayed in room 818 which was one of the single rooms with a Queen sized bed. The room had literally JUST been redone (in the kitchen cabinets I found the baggies with extra hardware and instructions on one of the shelves still and a can of paint in the closet). Aside from that, the room was great! The hardwood floor was beautiful (no crunchy carpets in sight.), the bed was comfy and the bathroom, while still a little outdated, was clean. I loved the look of the kitchenette/tv stand. If you don't think you really need one of the larger rooms then go with the single room option. There was a mini-fridge, microwave, sink, stove, cabinet of dishes, and plenty of counter space. The elevators are a little old and slow and when you check in at the main desk you can see that the office area still needs some work, but overall I thought the place was beautiful and I would definitely recommend staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple