“Average diner food.”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Madison and Middleton, WI have many fine diners, many open for breakfast. My wife and I had not been to the Hubbard Ave. Diner in quite a while (3 years?) so we decided to give it a shot this morning.

Disappointed will sum up our experience. Same nice clean place, comfortable booth, quiet. Prices are up. About $10 for two eggs, hash browns, two sausage patties or 3 slices of bacon, small juice, and a larger baking powder biscuit. Coffee extra. By the time I added a 15% tip for what was pretty good service, it was $30.54 including the tax.

The eggs were fine. When we combined notes, we came to the conclusion that the only thing on our plates that was actually prepared for our order were the eggs. The sausage seemed "over microwaved." The bacon was dry, had that sitting on the shelf look. The hash browns were "mixed up" like they were on the grill and needed to be dragged over to reheat. The baking powder biscuit was quite good.

Overall, for the money we paid in our area, we expected more. Perhaps $30 isn't too much where you live, but most breakfast places in our area will feed us for $18 to $22.
Perhaps that's why there were many empty tables and booths.

Finally, we won't be going back for perhaps 3 years or so.

2  Thank David N

Reviewed 11 January 2018

Do you like hearty American food, but, like me, are too lazy to prepare it yourself? Yes? Then get yourself here. I had the great fortune of living within walking distance of this gem for two years and I took advantage. You are not ready for how good the pies are. The greatest hits on the menu: fried chicken, meatloaf, ham and scalloped potatoes, fried chicken, reuben sandwich, fried chicken, the entire breakfast menu, fried chicken again, every single salad, waffle fries, and strawberry malts. On Pi Day, March 14th, go have a free piece of pie. It's the best.

1  Thank Rebekah W
Reviewed 29 December 2017

I can't say enough great things about this restaurant. Initially, I went here for pie (we are from out of town, and were celebrating the holidays with our daughter's family). We decided to have lunch too when we went to pick up the pies we ordered. The variety of food is impressive. Equally impressive was the amount of vegetarian-friendly, and gluten-free foods offered. The food was delisious. I also ordered a mocha to drink. This was the best mocha I've had since vacationing in Europe. I will definitely return the next time we are in the area.

Reviewed 23 December 2017

Prepare to spend a few minutes surveying the dessert case because you'll probably have to wait for a seat but there's lots to see - so many kinds of pie! And the food (when you're seated) is not fancy but always delicious. This is a comfortable place, reminiscent of a traditional diner. Comfort food and Pies! Pies! Pies!

Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Great food and pre/desserts. Busy but worth the wait. Serves breakfast late on the weekends. Known for great pies.

Been to Hubbard Avenue Diner? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK