“Not that bad...pleasantly suprised”
Review of Devils Head Resort

Devils Head Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Merrimac
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Recently spent a long weekend at the resort. I had booked here based on close proximity to a race held nearby. After booking I read some reviews here and expected the worst. I made it a special point to pick the experience apart...I had a tough time. Check-in was smooth and quick. The resort was very quiet the whole weekend despite being nearly completely booked Fri-Sun according to the front desk. The room was clean and had everything needed. Housekeeping was friendly and attentive. The outdoor pool was nice as was the bar. We golfed on Saturday and the course was in pretty good condition given it hasn't rained for a month or more. This is not a four seasons, but we had a very enjoyable time. Here are the only negatives: On site restaurant was VERY pricey. I can't comment on the quality, but they probably weren't serving too many $30-$50 burgers(no joke) so I'm not sure how fresh they could be...The golf staff was a bit snippy. Really, that's all I can find. Sure it was dated, but it was clean. I would go back again with the discounted room and golf prices I received.

Room Tip: I liked the 2nd level on the west end...we had a private balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was made out to be such a grand place. Hotel was in need of upgrading. Pillows flat & hard. Room fair. Did find 2 roaches in bathroom.
We were at wedding, & many issues arose with carrying out couples plans.
Food very good, but expensive. Drinks fair, but very expensive for the area.
Disappointing stay.

Room Tip: Don't go by pictures on internet. Look in person before staying.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ruth F
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We recently spent a weekend at Devils Head. Upon entering the door to our location on the grounds I notice that there was graffiti on the walls of the stairway. The dirty torn carpeting was littered with leaves, twigs, stones etc. When we entered the building I immediately noticed dozens of dead bugs in the overhead light. The elevator was filthy. The floor was worn and dirty and the walls looked like they were never wiped down. To my surprise our out of date room was clean however the maintenance was neglected...gaps/holes in walls where the wall met the carpet, dirty drain in the tub, heavy lime scale build up on the faucets. I couldn't help but notice the carpets were worn and sticky if you walked on them in bare feet. The bedspread had yellow stains on the reverse side.
Don't arrive late for the breakfast buffet. The scrambled eggs were as hard as spray insulation foam. The pancakes like hockey pucks. The freshest thing on the table was powder sugar donuts.
On a more positive note, the staff was polite and attentive. The grounds were lovely and the golf course was beautiful. Devils Head Resort is in need of some attention as far as the guest rooms are concerned. I wont stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed in the larger 6 story building and I understand that the rooms neared the main entrance mi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Marie S
Reviewed 12 June 2012

I have stayed at this resort many times, always in the summer coincidentally, for conferences. It's certainly not the newest place I've ever stayed, but the rooms (Cinder Block construction) are clean, and the furnishings are fresh and in good condition. It's a decent place with an acceptable restaurant and nice bar. The area is beautiful, and it's fairly convenient to many local attractions like Wisconsin Dells. All in all, temper your expectations: This is not a five start hotel, it's just a confortable, if somewhat older and worn property. One downfall was that it was easy to hear the people in the next room due to the thin connecting door.

Room Tip: Cell phone service is spotty, and WiFi is fair to good.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed for two nights in the condos. Our condo looked exactly as it did in the pictures. They are clean, comfortable and perfect for two families. They included everything you need for cooking. The kids had the basement to themselves and had a blast. The skiing was good considering the warm tempuratures and lack of snow. The runs were well groomed but did get a little slushy in the afternoon. There was very little wait for lifts. Everyone at the resort was friendly. Our only bad experience was at the Avalanche Bar and Grill. There are several other options to choose from so I would recommend going somewhere else. We sat down at 1:15pm and did not get our food until 2:15pm. The food is greasy and the bar/restaurant was not very clean. Smokies had much faster service, with similar food choices and a cleaner environment. Overall, it was a fun weekend.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lak22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merrimac
Best Western Baraboo Inn
Days Inn Portage
#4 of 6 in Portage
27.2 km away
Comfort Inn & Suites Madison North

Been to Devils Head Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK