“AMAZING weekend getaway!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Lake Geneva B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“AMAZING weekend getaway!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The couple that runs this B & B were soo kind and accomodating! My boyfriend and I wanted a short weekend getaway and this was the perfect place! The cottages are like mini homes, and soo cozy! They have electric fireplaces, and the bathrooms are amazing. The heated floors, jacuzzi tub, the showers w/the multiple sprayers, breakfast delivered in the morning, all add up to a great get away! They even provide new DVD's for viewing for those nights when you don't want to go out! Great service, beautiful and immaculate cottages, we plan on returning a few times a year and staying at SevenOaks every time!

Room Tip: Any cottage is quiet and conveniently located!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kristina9385
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

I was nervous about staying at an Inn, but it was the PERFECT weekend getaway that we could have planned. It was the first weekend trip my husband and I planned since our honeymoon, and it could not have better. Seven Oaks was beautiful and clean, and I feel like whoever designed it thought of everything a guest could ever need. The owners are english so it had an English Cottage feel in a way. We were welcomed with a bottled wine and a fruit and cheese board. They have a huge movie selection to choose from-free of cost. The bed was huge and comfy, there was a deep soaking tub, heated bathroom floors. It was quiet and cute. I loved it and will love to experience it again. Also, we ate at Sprecher's. I had a german dish and it was delicious-eat there too if you go to Lake Geneva!

Room Tip: We were in Henley. It was great. I have a feeling most of the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christinebuj
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

Just returned from a couple of days at Seven Oaks. I have been here a few times before and it is always perfect. Immaculate, perfectly appointed rooms and gracious attentiveness to any need one has. This is where I go when I just need to relax and shut the world out. Amanda and Leon are there when you need them and not when you don't. It is the perfect place to regain serenity. They have thought of everything to ensure a great stay for their guests. I will be back again and again. I love this place.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank janeb-e
Lanark, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Hubby and I decided to spend our 28th anniversary (which is on New Year's Eve) in Lake Geneva. After looking around on TripAdvisor, and deciding that rather than a party-type New Year's Eve, we would have a quiet, hopefully romantic, anniversary weekend and took the very expensive (for us) plunge and reserved a cottage at Seven Oaks for the nights of Dec 31 and Jan 1.

First the good ... most all of these have been mentioned in other reviews but are worth mentioning again: immaculate condition, comfortable bed, spacious shower, tasty cheese, fruit and cracker plate upon arrival as well as a decent tasting bottle of wine (screw-top), lovely continental breakfast with some of the best croissants I've had outside of Paris, great selection of teas, real Half and Half in the fridge, heated bathroom floor, towel bar and even toilet seat! Also, attractive oak floor in the main room and comfortable sectional (more on this later). Breakfast could be delivered between 8 and 10 but when we let them know that we would have to depart by 7:45 as we had a two hour drive home, they brought breakfast the night before. I would have preferred to get it at 7 am but was glad they accommodated us at all.

Now the not so good ... but before I mention these things I'd like to say that I am typically not a very picky person. After reading TA reviews of this B&B, however, all absolutely glowing and nothing short of Excellent and paying over $500 for 2 nights, my expectations were very high. Some of my comments are a bit picky and I primarily include for the benefit of the proprietors. My husband went in to reception to check us in while I waited in the car as he had ordered roses for me as a surprise. When he came out, he briefly mentioned that he had been asked whether we would need fresh towels the next day but as we like to be pretty green (we drive a Prius after all!), he had said no, which was fine. When we stepped in the cottage, the first thing I noticed was the roses, so those arrived and were delivered and displayed nicely. The second thing I noticed was the fireplace. Then the nicely decorated large bed and nice shower stall. So overall a good first impression. As we sat down to have some of the cheese and crackers, however, and watch television, we were almost laughing at the "fireplace". The gas log flame was so low it was laughable. Not exactly romantic to be looking at a blue flame ... I might as well have been looking at my gas range. As we tried to get cozy on the small sectional, hubby on the chaise piece, me attempting to lie down with my head on his shoulder, each time I made any slight movement, the two pieces of the sectional would slide apart. At one point I actually slipped onto the floor! While the oak floors are beautiful, they're not very functional for this sofa which really needed carpet underneath it. A few other things that were a little surprising was that the shower - nice large tile shower with multiple shower heads - had a shower curtain rather than glass door that I would have expected. Also, while there were multiple shower heads, the water pressure was not strong enough to really make the "body height" ones worthwhile; the water came out of the bottom one in a limp stream. Most surprisingly, I expected some decent toiletries but was very disappointed to see built in shampoo and conditioner dispensers, similar to what one sees on entry level cruise ships. While the vessel sinks look good, in reality they're difficult to use. I'm only 5'3" and had to get on my tiptoes to rinse my face, while the sink poked me in the ribs. I think a filled ice bucket would have been nice. Or even an ice tray in the small freezer. It was frustrating to have to go out in the wintry cold to get a (tiny) bucket of ice.

All of this would have been more easily overlooked if not for the last two complaints. When someone (Amanda, the proprietor?) brought our breakfast at 9 New Year's morning, I commented to her that we were not quite ready yet for the room to be cleaned. She looked a bit stricken and said, "Oh, because it's New Year's, the cleaning staff has the day off." Really?! When I expressed surprise, she asked if we needed towels then offered to come in and clean it herself. We're pretty neat people so all I really was expecting was the bed to be made and maybe the mirror cleaned but I was so flabbergasted that they would be OPEN on New Year's and charge their "special rate of $499" which is $22 more than their regular winter weekend rate, but not provide cleaning that I just said no. Finally, while the proprietors seemed very nice, it was difficult to reach them. My husband, who tends to not like to leave messages, had to call them 4 times about the roses. I had to leave messages several times including the day we were there. I called to get the password for their wi-fi and waited several hours before they returned the call, which by then was almost worthless since we were leaving shortly for dinner. The final disappointment was discovering upon rising the morning we were leaving that because there was no cleaning staff, there was also no more coffee, as I used the only decaf packet the morning before. So while it was nice to get away for a few days, it definitely fell short of my expectations.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank suzanne721
SevenOaks07, Owner at SevenOaks, responded to this review, 9 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us here at SevenOaks, the feedback we receive positive and negative is all welcomed and constructive criticism welcomed for us to improve our delivery of an amazing experience.

We do feel disappointed when reviews mention things that could so have easily not been negative experiences when communication at the time would have resolved issues immediately - one very notable example being the fireplace, I would also laugh when I was looking at the pilot light you were looking at, had you have noticed the "on" dial to the side of the fireplace I am sure you would have found the experience far more satisfactory - we do label lots of things in the suites to make sure of ease of use, perhaps we need to make a sign for this?

We have not heard of any issues with our wonderfully comfortable chaise sectional sofas previously, have you ever had a chaise couch in a hotel room/suite before? - I doubt it!...we shall look at this one to ensure nobody manages to slide off in future, the Oak floor again...Oak floor!!...One of the original features we kept in the former Inn keepers house you stayed in (we noted your anniversary and gave our largest suite) was a feature we were proud of retaining.

The design of all of our suites was done with plenty of thought and lots of planning, my Mother in Law was very much conscious of peoples height, as I am 6ft and she is closer to your height items in the bathroom were built with an average in mind and not individuals, we do have step stools we could have leant you had we known this was an issue, again we cant help when we hear on Trip advisor.

Our Ice is kept at our main house, I don’t feel the trays are sanitary, who knows who has touched the ice or filled the trays?...so we state to ask for ice, which we are happy to deliver in order to avoid the cold, and give a "Cute" half ice bucket with spoon etc, there is no rations on ice....so the comment on tiny?...not an issue if you want more.

I always try to cover all aspects covered in a review in my response, I am not sure if this is the correct thing to do? I think people using this as a reference before booking can make up their mind as to whether you are "picky" and what is important.

The cleaning we offered was only limited in the aspect that beds were not made up, we did give our cleaning staff the day off, heck they have families too...we were there to service suites and "Megan" (not my wife Amanda the proprietor) was more than happy to clean your suite as you mentioned - we don’t have any rations on Coffee, and had we known we would have gladly provided sufficient for all caffeine need!

Breakfast is never served at 7am - on a romantic getaway most guests wish to rise lazily and eat later in each others company, we did as you said bring you breakfast the night before so you would be able to eat before leaving, which is our way of accommodating the early birds.
Finally we are a family run Inn/B&B - we are not on hand 24hrs a day, but are never far
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

My fiance surprised me with this wonderful weekend stay at SevenOaks which began with the most amazing marriage proposal! The owners Leon and Amanda made everything he wanted for the weekend come to life...from the food to my favorite flowers. We stayed in a private lodge with a fireplace and a ton of amenities. The two person jacuzzi tub was amazing and I loved the heated bathroom floors! Breakfast is brought to the door every morning. It was a such a special weekend, we will definitely be back!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple