“The Gem of All Gems - The Jewel of All Jewels” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Geneva Resort & Spa

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
St. Louis, Mo
“The Gem of All Gems - The Jewel of All Jewels”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

What an unbelievable gift you will give yourself when you come to The Grand Geneva. We were having a long weekend in Door County, WI and, while we were having fun, decided to start the trek back to St. Louis a day early and break up the drive. I discovered this wonderful resort on-line and called and was given a great off-season rate. However, I still never forego asking for an upgrade at any property and in this case it paid off. We were upgraded to a lovely suite with separate bedroom and living room with wetbar and comfy sofa and several comfy chairs. Also an eating bar, not to mention the nicest bathroom we've had in a while even though we always stay at upscale spots. It had a 2 person walk-in shower with multiple jets and rainheads. Also a beautiful whirlpool tub paneled in creme colored wood and a large vanity. The in-mirror TV didn't seem to work and it made for a grayish colored mirror - impossible to do makeup, but Hey there were several other mirrors around this extraordinary suite. Who's complaining? The only other caveat to all this luxury was this: Sometimes you have hotel walls that are so thin you can hear your neighbor clear his throat - That's not the problem here. But the problem is (and I really can't figure out a reason for this) but the sound comes through the front door to where you hear everything out in the hallway. It just so happened that I'd just gotten my son down to sleep when it sounded like a stampede out in the hall. And I had noticed this earlier in the day too. Luckily it was short lived. Now back to the room - it also has a lovely little patio overlooking the golfcourse/water feature with in-lake fountains that are all lit up after dark. Wonderful!I could go on and on. But I want to leave room for a few personal notes: From the moment we pulled up to the valet (complimentary) we knew we'd made a great choice. We had Jimmy take us to our room and he stayed to help my autistic son set up his new laptop. Then we had the extreme pleasure of meeting Jan the concierge. We called to ask about a few activities in the area as well as driving directions. She actually came down to our suite and talked to us about all this. She also helped us select a booth for breakfast the next morning as my son really need to sit in a booth because of his special needs and, while they don't have traditional booths, they had one table that accomplished the same goal. Lastly, and I can't go into the specifics but, again because of my son's autism we needed some advise something related to his security for the night and the Manager Isabella and the Security Head, Colin came down to our room and the advise/suggestions they gave were incredibly helpful and right on target. Things I wouldn't have thought of and I've been doing this for 23 years. SO, Thank You to everyone but especially to Jimmy, Jan, Isabella and Colin. I always say that God was in GOOD mood the day he made my son and I think that is true for YOU as well. THANKS

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank gogirl51
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
I want to thank you for sharing your kind praise for our associates, Jimmy, Jan, Isabella and Colin. At Marcus Hotels and resorts we are very proud of our hotels, but most proud of our associates who make a commitment to provide exceptional service and memorable experiences for all of our guests. We strive to be “People Pleasers” and are much honored you and your son choose to spend the evening with us at Grand Geneva Resort and Spa.

I have shared your comments with Jimmy, Jan, Isabella and Colin as well as their managers. I always enjoy the opportunity to let people know that their good work is appreciated and recognized. Each of them were encouraged by your kind words.

Thank you for your candid feedback pertaining to your guest room accommodations.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Managing Director
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Beautiful hotel and service, already booking the next visit!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent posting. I look forward to your return visit and if I can be of assistance to you now or at any time in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office at 262-249-4713.

Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I made reservations 90 days in advance for a conference to ensure that I would have a room in the main facility and not the neighboring Timber Ridge Lodge. I called the day I was to check in to verify the cancellation policy, and was told my card would be charged for two nights as the policy is 72 hrs in advance for cancellation, so I interpreted this to mean that there was a room reserved for me. I checked in late, about 10:30pm, and was told non-nonchalantly that my room was actually at Timber Ridge. I called the B.S. card and assured the front desk staff that my reservation was specifically for the Grand Geneva Resort as I didn't want to be changing buildings from where the conference was being held. I then learned that the Resort was overbooked and I got booted to Timber Ridge. I was quite unhappy about this as I intentionally made reservations far enough in advance to prevent this from happening. That being said, the reason I gave the experience a 4/5 is because of the friendliness of the staff and the accommodations they provided to make it right. Aaron Osborne, the Director of Rooms, came greeting me the following morning to personally apologize for the mishap and explain the situation that occurred to cause the overbooking. I appreciated his efforts to reach out, and he also upgraded our room both nights and, in the end, I was not charged for the rooms. The staff was professional and apologetic throughout the weekend. One comment about the premier suite that we stayed in. i was surprised that there was no microwave. Fridge, seating area for entertaining, no mircowave. I expected one. Also, the lighting in the bathroom is fair, at best. There is a magnified and back lit makeup mirror attached to the wall, but the can lights in the ceiling are not sufficient (even with the makeup mirror) to see well. The way the can lights are installed in the ceiling actually cast shadows on your face while looking into the mirror. I also thought the way the room was laid out was funky - you walk past the bed to the entertainment room that is separated by a pocket door. So if someone wants to go to bed early, you have to walk through the "bedroom" to exit the room. i would think you would want to reverse the entertainment room position with the bed so if someone wants to go to bed they can be left alone without people walking past them to leave.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the executive suite is the way to go for the private bedroom. However, even t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Our children surprised us with a Groupon gift to the Grand Geneva, which included a one night stay and two rounds of golf. From the minute we checked in, we felt welcome, being upgraded to a lakeside room from the standard courtside view. The room was very spacious and well appointed, with coffee maker, mini fridge and even a tv built into the bathroom mirror!
After a dinner in Lake Geneva, we returned and sat around the large firepit and chatted with other people, all of whom were enjoying themselves.

It got even better the next day on the golf course. We played the Highlands, which is not terribly challenging but in good shape. Cart, tees, divot repair tool and marker all comped. Plenty of people to take care of our every need, from drive up bag stand to cleaning the clubs at the end of the round.

Perfect getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your recent posting. I was glad to read that you were able to enjoy one of our award winning courses as well as the extra amenities that we provide at our resort.

Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was my first time to Grand Geneva and I went on this trip alone. Upon arrival I had a last minute change in plans on my transportation. I called the concierge (Jan) and she was able to get me a car service to the resort from the O'Hare airport. Which turned out to be nice considering that I didn't have an enjoyable flight. All the staff was very pleasant and helpful, especially Jan the concierge. She helped make my trip pleasant and enjoyable, she helped fill in things for me to do in between my spa treatments. Speaking of the spa, it was great (all services) and well kept. I hightly recommend the hot stone massage which was outstanding. The food at the restaurants was really good as well, a little pricey which I expected. There was not much of a nightlife at the resort which I didn't mind. I was told that there busy times are during the summer, spring break, and winter. If you are looking for not so much business going on, I would recommend the spring time after spring break. During this time that I was (mid-April) there I did not exprience a time where any of the places or restaurants were extremely busy. I would recommend this place to anyone and I will be returning for another vacation in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo