“Overbooked room made right by the Director of Rooms”

Grand Geneva Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
“Overbooked room made right by the Director of Rooms”
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I made reservations 90 days in advance for a conference to ensure that I would have a room in the main facility and not the neighboring Timber Ridge Lodge. I called the day I was to check in to verify the cancellation policy, and was told my card would be charged for two nights as the policy is 72 hrs in advance for cancellation, so I interpreted this to mean that there was a room reserved for me. I checked in late, about 10:30pm, and was told non-nonchalantly that my room was actually at Timber Ridge. I called the B.S. card and assured the front desk staff that my reservation was specifically for the Grand Geneva Resort as I didn't want to be changing buildings from where the conference was being held. I then learned that the Resort was overbooked and I got booted to Timber Ridge. I was quite unhappy about this as I intentionally made reservations far enough in advance to prevent this from happening. That being said, the reason I gave the experience a 4/5 is because of the friendliness of the staff and the accommodations they provided to make it right. Aaron Osborne, the Director of Rooms, came greeting me the following morning to personally apologize for the mishap and explain the situation that occurred to cause the overbooking. I appreciated his efforts to reach out, and he also upgraded our room both nights and, in the end, I was not charged for the rooms. The staff was professional and apologetic throughout the weekend. One comment about the premier suite that we stayed in. i was surprised that there was no microwave. Fridge, seating area for entertaining, no mircowave. I expected one. Also, the lighting in the bathroom is fair, at best. There is a magnified and back lit makeup mirror attached to the wall, but the can lights in the ceiling are not sufficient (even with the makeup mirror) to see well. The way the can lights are installed in the ceiling actually cast shadows on your face while looking into the mirror. I also thought the way the room was laid out was funky - you walk past the bed to the entertainment room that is separated by a pocket door. So if someone wants to go to bed early, you have to walk through the "bedroom" to exit the room. i would think you would want to reverse the entertainment room position with the bed so if someone wants to go to bed they can be left alone without people walking past them to leave.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, the executive suite is the way to go for the private bedroom. However, even t...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (692)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Our children surprised us with a Groupon gift to the Grand Geneva, which included a one night stay and two rounds of golf. From the minute we checked in, we felt welcome, being upgraded to a lakeside room from the standard courtside view. The room was very spacious and well appointed, with coffee maker, mini fridge and even a tv built into the bathroom mirror!
After a dinner in Lake Geneva, we returned and sat around the large firepit and chatted with other people, all of whom were enjoying themselves.

It got even better the next day on the golf course. We played the Highlands, which is not terribly challenging but in good shape. Cart, tees, divot repair tool and marker all comped. Plenty of people to take care of our every need, from drive up bag stand to cleaning the clubs at the end of the round.

Perfect getaway.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
MDGGRS, General Manager at Grand Geneva Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Thank you for your recent posting. I was glad to read that you were able to enjoy one of our award winning courses as well as the extra amenities that we provide at our resort.

Brett Sundstrom
Managing Director
Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 25 April 2012

This was my first time to Grand Geneva and I went on this trip alone. Upon arrival I had a last minute change in plans on my transportation. I called the concierge (Jan) and she was able to get me a car service to the resort from the O'Hare airport. Which turned out to be nice considering that I didn't have an enjoyable flight. All the staff was very pleasant and helpful, especially Jan the concierge. She helped make my trip pleasant and enjoyable, she helped fill in things for me to do in between my spa treatments. Speaking of the spa, it was great (all services) and well kept. I hightly recommend the hot stone massage which was outstanding. The food at the restaurants was really good as well, a little pricey which I expected. There was not much of a nightlife at the resort which I didn't mind. I was told that there busy times are during the summer, spring break, and winter. If you are looking for not so much business going on, I would recommend the spring time after spring break. During this time that I was (mid-April) there I did not exprience a time where any of the places or restaurants were extremely busy. I would recommend this place to anyone and I will be returning for another vacation in the future.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Topton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We had a organizational meeting here April 18-20, 2012. Everything was great. The food at the Chop house was delish. the atmosphere was beautiful and mystique of the reason the resort was developed was interesting. I would like all our retreats to be here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Naperville, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 24 April 2012

service excellent .clean and spa very clean.Loved the room and conference area. Room was very clean and comfortable (lots of pillows). I would recomend to others and go back if given a chance.

Room Tip: suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends