See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 March 2015

A smaller resort 8km into the hills near Miramar at elevation 600mt. With a great view of the valley from Miramar to Puntarenas and the Bay of Nacoya, this resort has a wonderful setting. From pool-side you could see the ships coming and going to the ports in Puntarenas, even more of a sight advantage with binoculars. We tried to be around at sunset to catch some pics over the Bay of Nacoya. The lights of Puntarenas were a sparkling view from pool-side at night.

The main lodge has an open dining area where you can get the included breakfast. There is a guest room attached to the main building, and slightly away a 2 ve3ry nice bungalows. They would accommodate up to 4 people for sleeping. They have a view of the pool, the valley, and the Bay of Nacoya. The pool was too cool for us, but other guests did use it. The bungalows have a small kitchen with a hotplate and a bar fridge. We were there for 5 days and did some meals. The kitchen was very spars for cooking utensils, and we had to borrow some from the lodge.

There is one major attraction about 2km away. It is Adventure Park, with a multitude of activities. Adriana and Leo can fill you in on other activities possible. If you are intending on exploring the local scene, likely a car rental would be best.

We did not walk the trails at El Mirador, but did walk the road, accompanied at times by friendly dogs. We visited a farm just down the road, that had brahama beef cattle. We recieved eggs and cheese from the farm.

Without a doubt the most interesting aspect of El Mirador are Leo and Adriana, the managers of the facility. Firstly, they are salsa dancers, and very, very good. Both teach dance. Have them put on a show while you are there. Leo is also a sculptor. You can see his work in the open dining area - very talented. Adriana teaches many facets of dance, including belly dancing, and is also an artist.

If you are looking for a quiet retreat, this is a great place. It is on a little-traveled dirt road, with no neighbors on top of you. It is, however, close enough to many of the tourist activities that go on throughout Costa Rica.

• Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Finca El Mirador was a great place to begin our exploration of Costa Rica. Uli is one of the warmest, cheerful, and attentive hosts we have ever experienced. She really makes this place special, and our two daughters immediately felt comfortable with Uli and her beautiful dogs. She achieves a perfect balance between being attentive when we need it and also just allowing us to relax without intrusion... not an easy task.

As a Bed and Breakfast, we were impressed by the attention to privacy and relaxation. The bungalows are private, clean, and well maintained. Ours had a hot plate, fridge, kitchen table, comfortable beds, and outdoor chairs. The breakfasts were excellent and varied during our three nights there.

A highlight for our two daughters was the pool with amazing views. I enjoyed birdwatching and walking around the beautiful property. During our stay we experienced the nearby waterfall zipline which was exceptional, and a cloudforest tour arranged by Uli with a nearby biologist who is extremely knowledgeable. After the tour his family cooked us a wonderful lunch before our drive back to the B&B.

Although we were traveling as a family, this would also be a fantastic place for a romantic 'retreat'. We wish Uli all the best with maintaining this beautiful place and hope that we can one day return.

Room Tip: Our bungalow was closest to the parking area and main house... we found it to be very private and comfortable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Ulrike H, Propietario at El Mirador, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

Hello!
We wanted to inform that El Mirador U.L.I. has reopened again after being closed!
We are working with Airbnb, Booking and Tripadvisor.
It will always be a pleasure to welcome you here again, trying to make your stay as comfortable as it was at former times- and /or even better!
Looking forward welcoming you here again!
Regards,
the new administration
Ulrike and Wladyslaw
(Uli and Wlady)

Reviewed 18 April 2013

I returned to Finca El Mirador this past February. Upon arrival I was instantly reminded why I fell in love with this place the first time! The staff (Uli, Gloria and Cesar) were so friendly and welcoming, making sure I felt right at home. The gardens were beautifully kept, rooms very clean and comfortable and food delicious! This place is truly a slice of heaven and I look forward to returning again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I just returned from my second stay at Finca El Mirador and can't wait to go back. Uli is a beautiful person and knows so much about the area and she knows so many people. I love just hanging out in the gardens and walking around the area. If that is not enough, Uli can help find just the right activity for you. Gloria and Cesar prepared wonderful meals. The rooms are clean and the view is spectacular, including the sunsets.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2012

If you are looking for a totally "non-tourist" place, this is it. This place is as pure as Costa Rica itself. I was recommend there by an eatery in Miramar. There are new signs posted by it not easy to find but that makes this place even more charming. The cliff-side swimming pool could not have been more inviting. The cabins were clean and simple with huge windows to let in the mountain breezes. Uli, the owner and host was perfect not only a wealth of information but one of the friendliest folks I meet on my 3 week stay in this gorgeous country. I only stayed one night but it was enough to know I found a gem of a place. If you do any dual-sport motorcycling, this place makes a good center base to stay. Also, Uli dogs are the friendliest and most protective any dog owner could hope for. I didn't feel any need to lock my door or my motorcycle. I WILL BE BACK Uli, thanks Jose.

Room Tip: Don't go there to watch TV. They do have Internet there though.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo