“Very unique and lovely! But.......”
Review of Turk's Inn - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Turk's Inn
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 11 December 2012

The dining room was like a fairytale come true. Gleaming colors of red and white. Loved the old music. Lovely outdoor lighting for the season. The food not so great. We had beef tips over pilaf. I thought the beef had an "off" flavor. When I talked with local folks, they said they age their meat, and that may have been the issue.

2  Thank ondossagonchick

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We only had an appetizer and a drink, so in fairness we didn't eat enough to give a true rating. The app was so-so, but the decor and history were what we wanted to experience. This is a place not to be missed if you enjoy old supper clubs. It is a time warp in the best of ways.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

The food was fine, the decor was interesting and you must remember that you need to pay cash. No cards here. What an interesting place to visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I don't write enough restaurant reviews and have been meaning to get to this one for a while. As some of the other posters noted (and can be found with reviews on some other websites), this supper club is wrought in history. The setting is beautiful along a stretch of the Namekagon (a national scenic riverway) and the ambiance is very unique and unlike almost any other restaurant I've been to. If you are there without a crowd (like most nights) it will feel a little eerie without any music or other noise but that just addes to the experience in my opinion.

The decor has not been updated in years (which I'm just fine with since it helps make this place special) and the service is not rushed. Anyone expecting perfectly polished servers or food to be to the table as quick as Applebee's should go elsewhere. Everything about the place is friendly though.

Is this establishment fine dining? Well.....for the area the prices may say so but don't expect your wine in the "proper" glassware, the salad may not be orgainic spring greens, and the cheese tray may look like it was sliced from a block of cheap cheddar. Those things not-withstanding, their steaks can compete with any I've had. I would stay away from the greasy shish kabobs but make sure to get the special pilaf.

If you enjoy "retro" cocktails, the bartender knows how to mix them (I would venture a guess that he has been making them since they were mainstream). When we were ther last weekend my wife's sidecar actually tasted like a drink (rather than sour mix like so many places) and my manhattan was outstanding.

If the baklava is fresh, there's no better treat along with the turkish coffee.

This is the place I sent anyone I hear of heading to the Hayward area for a taste of the past and a fabulous steak, just be sure to keep in mind where you are.

1  Thank Adam S
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were rightly told that this place had to be seen. The restaurant is a throw-back to the 50s. The bar has old vinyl banquettes, albeit duck-taped where the vinyl had ripped. There are numerous knick-knacks, many from Turkey. It's difficult to describe! We loved the pink and red decor. The food however, left much to be desired. The salads were basically iceburg lettuce. My husband's shishkabob,at $30 was something you could find at an ethnic fair for about $8. My petit filet mignon was very good but the stuffed shrimp was tasteless, basically a ball of much. We were disappointed, and it was our anniversary. :(

2  Thank chloeWisconsin