“Unique restaurant”

Add it.
Turk's Inn
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The food was fine, the decor was interesting and you must remember that you need to pay cash. No cards here. What an interesting place to visit.

Reviewed 10 August 2012

I don't write enough restaurant reviews and have been meaning to get to this one for a while. As some of the other posters noted (and can be found with reviews on some other websites), this supper club is wrought in history. The setting is beautiful along a stretch of the Namekagon (a national scenic riverway) and the ambiance is very unique and unlike almost any other restaurant I've been to. If you are there without a crowd (like most nights) it will feel a little eerie without any music or other noise but that just addes to the experience in my opinion.

The decor has not been updated in years (which I'm just fine with since it helps make this place special) and the service is not rushed. Anyone expecting perfectly polished servers or food to be to the table as quick as Applebee's should go elsewhere. Everything about the place is friendly though.

Is this establishment fine dining? Well.....for the area the prices may say so but don't expect your wine in the "proper" glassware, the salad may not be orgainic spring greens, and the cheese tray may look like it was sliced from a block of cheap cheddar. Those things not-withstanding, their steaks can compete with any I've had. I would stay away from the greasy shish kabobs but make sure to get the special pilaf.

If you enjoy "retro" cocktails, the bartender knows how to mix them (I would venture a guess that he has been making them since they were mainstream). When we were ther last weekend my wife's sidecar actually tasted like a drink (rather than sour mix like so many places) and my manhattan was outstanding.

If the baklava is fresh, there's no better treat along with the turkish coffee.

This is the place I sent anyone I hear of heading to the Hayward area for a taste of the past and a fabulous steak, just be sure to keep in mind where you are.

1  Thank Adam S
Reviewed 17 July 2012

We were rightly told that this place had to be seen. The restaurant is a throw-back to the 50s. The bar has old vinyl banquettes, albeit duck-taped where the vinyl had ripped. There are numerous knick-knacks, many from Turkey. It's difficult to describe! We loved the pink and red decor. The food however, left much to be desired. The salads were basically iceburg lettuce. My husband's shishkabob,at $30 was something you could find at an ethnic fair for about $8. My petit filet mignon was very good but the stuffed shrimp was tasteless, basically a ball of much. We were disappointed, and it was our anniversary. :(

2  Thank chloeWisconsin
Reviewed 10 February 2012

History, excellent food, atmosphere (including the interaction of owners/staff). I knew George Gogian and his daughter Marge--real personalities not trying to be anyone they aren't. Relax & open yourself to a totally new experience. This is not your average steak house. If you want that, go to Outback.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

While the ambience was unique with many antiques glassware and collectibles of by-gone days and it had a good setting near the river......everything else was Very disappointing.

When I entered the restaurant to be seated there were individuals at only 2 other tables and I was not given a chocie of seating but merely placed at the table closest to the kitchen and farthest away from windows to enjoy a view. When I left the retaurant only one more table was seated, so there was not exactly a reason to save the other tables with a river view on a thursday evening

The wait staff and kitchen were arguing/yelling for the first 20 minutes so loud that the other 3 tables of people in the restaurant were able to comment on what was being said. Water was never checked or refilled. Salad was mediocre at best using iceberg lettuce and nothing to dress it up except for the large clump of dressing hiding it all that must have been the cheapest they could find, as any variety in the grocery store would been several times better. The rolls were also unimaginative, plain, with better options available at the local convenience store.

I had the steak kabobs. The meat was quite tender but the marinade was nothing special...it just had some rosemary and it was accompaniend by part of an onion, pepper and tomato on a completely butter drenched spoonful of bulgar wheat pilaf. Definitely not worth the time, energy or calories to consume.

I also tried the turkish coffee. An ample portion on this item. But they failed to let the grounds sink in the mixture before pouring so the first cup was mostly foam and the grounds that floated on the foam. It was like licking an ashtray. I had to pour back in the pot and let settle. Tthat fixed the issue after getting the mouthful of coffee grounds.

And besides everything else it was pricey for the priviledge (and they don't take plastic).

I have never left feedback on a restaurant before....but on this one I was compelled to provide some info as the other feedback on this location is not representative of what I found.

However.....I was very happy about one thing...... that I did not bring any guests along! I normally will give a place a chance top redeem itself if the experience was not perfect....but not on this one as they just have too far to go!

6  Thank fishmongerNewMexico