New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Fontana
Chicago, Illinois
“Stay somewhere else”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2011

I definitely think this place is completely overrated. I heard there was some type of renovation done recently but saw no evidence of that when we went. The rooms are very outdated, unattractive & not very clean. There was a bug in our room & the whole place smelled kindof musty & old. Seems like they put all their money into the lobby. Absolutely NOTHING impressive about the rooms AT ALL. The spa is completely overpriced as well. The restaurant (Fontana Grill) was not that good either. I admit it looked very nice & the live pianist was special but the food was just NOT tasty or good quality. Totally subpar. Nothing impressive about this place & if you're wise, you'll stay somewhere else.

Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Shellie W
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
Dear Shellie W.,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We take great pride in exceeding the expectations of all of our guests and we are very disappointed when we receive a negative review. While the overwhelming majority of our reviews are positive we meet and discuss as a mangement team when we fall short to determine what we can do to improve our performance.

Our rooms were completely renovated in 2005 and we added an entirely new linen package just this past August. We will continue to make more improvements to our lodging offerings. Our spa prices are very comparable to other resort spas and we do offer many packages which offer even more value to our guests.

I hope that someday that you might visit us again. If you are in the area please look me up as I would be delighted to show you some of the latest enhancements to our resort.

Management Representative
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
San Francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

My buddy and I stayed for one night while we golfed two days in the area. We got a special rate of $99 which gave us a two queen bed room as far away from the water as possible. Safe in the room is a nice touch.

The front desk young lady graciously allowed me to check in at 9:30 a.m., however she was not friendly which I found disconcerting. I knew I should have had my much better looking buddy check in with me. She also promised to email me my final bill which I am still waiting for one week later.

The hotel has very nice pool and spa areas and a very large gym with lots of cardio equipment and weight machines.

Breakfast at the Fontana Grill was very good and reasonable with a friendly staff. The night before we ate at the Waterfront Cafe which was just okay. When I asked the waitress what the seasonal vegetables were with my dinner she replied, "Well, sometimes its carrots, and sometimes its broccoli and sometimes it is cauliflower. Too, too, funny and we are still telling that story.

One last note. The resort has a room/golf package, but if you get the $99 room rate it is cheaper to book the golf separately ($98) for two at Abbey Springs. ($197 vs. $219). We also golfed at the Country Club public course near the resort for $25 for 18 holes cart included on Friday vs. $65 a person at Abbey Springs. It was well worth the money.

Overall, would stay here again (except I am going to make Jim check in)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marius40
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear Marius 40,

It was a pleasure hosting you during your recent stay at the Abbey Resort and Avani Spa. Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review and sharing it on Trip Advisor. We are gratified that you enjoyed your golf so much. We have a plethora of wonderful courses very close to the Abbey.

We look forward to your next stay at our beautiful resort.

Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

After many visits to Abbey's spa (Fontana Spa, now Avani Spa) there has usually been some type of glitch-robes, equipment down-once there were workMEN right outside of locker/bathroom/shower areas-no spa equipment in women's area was availabe-we weren't warned either. This visit was excellent. Avani aspires to be a world class spa, but I didn't think it met its goal until this visit. Issues in the past with the robes(I'm 2X, my friend 3X). When making reservations for spa services, I would always tell them, to no avail. Until this visit (I did threaten to give a bad review when I made our reservation). Our robes were in our assigned lockers!! Other times there were scrambles to get robes from the men's side, once the robes were waffle weave(new), but we got terry cloth (old) that had so many strings (snags) that it looked like fringe! It was humiliating. This visit the inhalation room was not working-before we left, the front desk lady told us the oil had come in, so it was now working. We ordered lunch at the spa-excellent service & food (lobster cobb salad). Waiter returned to ensure lunch was satisfactory. As always, the spa is spotlessly clean. Robes, slippers, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shave cream, razors, towels & washcloths, mouthwash, deodorant, lotion, tampons, combs, hairdryers,lockers & key locks provided. Womens hot tub, steam room, dry sauna & inhalation room. Co-ed swimming pool (with lap lanes), hot tub and dry sauna along with plenty of lounge chairs, tables & chairs, current upscale magazines, newspapers along with water, ice, juices, coffee, tea & signature Abbey apples available. I did mentiion I've been here plenty of times! Personnel continue to be friendly: asking how things are, are you enjoying yourself, etc. Special kudos to the lady in the high heels-sorry I didn't get your name-but you certainly did take good care of us! So, here's my "bad" review!! Thank you Abbey & Avani.

Room Tip: All buildings are connected, so one doesn't have to go outside--unless one wants to. Great for...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear sad716,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a thorough review and sharing it with other guests on Trip Advisor. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our products and services.

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us so much. We are very proud of The Avani Spa and we constantly receive accolades on our service.

We hope that you will be able to visit us again in the near future.

Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

My sister and I took a short getaway trip to the Abbey Resort and Spa. The accomodations were lovely and we had great outdoor space right outside our room. The resport is obviously not new but very well maintained and up to date. The beds were wonderful and the bathroom was beautiful and spacious. We had spa services scheduled both days of our trip. the spa is lovely, relaxing and fun. I would recommend this resort to anyone staying in the Lake Geneva area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JohnatTheAbbey, Manager at Abbey Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear Kbaz_11,

I would like to thank you very much for posting a review about your recent stay with us.I am delighted that you had a chance to visit and relax in our beautiful Avani Spa. Our goal is to have everyone relax and enjoy the tranquility as much as you were able to.

It is quite an honor to have you travel all the way from Arizona to visit us and we hope that you will be able to visit us again in the very near future.

Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

I recently spent 3 days at the Abbey Resort for a strategic planning meeting for my company. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had not been there since mid-1980s for another business meeting. Wow I was very pleasantly surprised how well the property has held-up.

The rooms were definitely updated and spacious. The food was fabulous.....especially the Fontana Grill. Best salmon dish I have had in a long-time.

I want to especially single out the Avani Spa. The staff was very nice and the facilities definitely put the guest into a calm and relaxed setting. The workout and cardio room was stocked with well-maintained equipment. The locker rooms were very nice and spacious. The pool area had a very comforting atmosphere....especially early morning before the sun rose and in the evening. That had to be the BEST whirlpool bath I have been in for years...and I travel alot and use alot of hotel fitness facilities.

I had had an especially stressful 2nd day of my meeting and made an appointment for a massage at the Avani. Peggy was wonderful and really helped workout the tension in my muscles.

I am definitely planning to take my wife back to the Abbey sometime over the next year for a relaxing get-away weekend. It is a great year-round facility. So glad it has still held it's value all these years and the upgrades made in recent years are appreciated.

Thanks again for a great stay!

Rick C.
Evansville, IN

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Rick C,

What a pleasure it was for us to read your review about your recent stay here at the Abbey Resort and Spa. We love hearing stories about past guests who come back to visit and are just as satisfied as they were on their first visit. Thank you for the compliment.

We are delighted to read about how much that you enjoyed the Avani Spa. It truly is a spectacular facility. We will make sure to let Peggy know about your rave review about the massage that she provided. We will be looking forward to having your wife join you on your next visit.

Management Representative
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fontana
6.8 km away
7.7 km away
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#12 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to Abbey Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK