“Thank God for the Whistling Swan”
Review of Whistling Swan Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Fish Creek
Whistling Swan Inn
Ranked #4 of 5 Fish Creek B&B and Inns
Highwood, Illinois
“Thank God for the Whistling Swan”
Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed here last October when our daughter was just 6 months old. The Whistling Swan was one of the ONLY inns in Door County that allowed young children and they really made our first family vacation a great success. My husband and I enjoyed what we ate here quite a bit and still discuss it. We tried several restaurants in Fish Creek and were severely disappointed, then started taking our meals in our room from the Whistling Swan restaurant and stopped eating out all to together. The bill was reasonable and the food terrific! The breakfast included with our stay was a steal and the best I've had in terms of complimentary breakfasts- homemade granola, egg fritata, yogurt with fresh blueberries, and wonderful coffee all served on a sun filled balcony and to EXCELLENT music. I wanted to buy the inn's iPod playlist! The only drawbacks were the walls were a bit thin, but I brought earplugs and it didn't stay loud long. In our particular suite, you had to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom from the sitting room. This was tricky with the sleeping baby. The other suite has a better set up with the bath off of the sitting room. The beautiful lobby with the fireplace is more for show. They fill the seats with too many pillows, which may be a subtle way of discouraging you from hanging out there. I love fires and so that was a disappointment. It is more for the restaurant and less for guests. Overall 5 stars!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank kck73
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights as part of the perfect getaway package. We stayed in Suite 5 and really enjoyed our room, the general decor, staff and tasty continental breakfast. As part of the package we were offered a three course dinner for two at the in house restaurant and decided to go the first night. As a foodie and well traveled diner, I was hopeful but not expecting to be wowed. What a surpise! The dinner was incredible, one of the best meals I've had in Wisconsin, ranking up there with Sanfords and L'Etiole. The food was beautifully presented, sophisticated, generously proportioned and absolutely delicious. And our waiter was warm, knowledgeable, attentive and provided exceptional service. We enjoyed ourselves so much, we went back the next night to try a few new items and a couple of the standouts from the night before -- beet salad and stuffed poached pear. Again, the meal was exceptional.

We are headed back to Door County again this Spring and we are definitely planning to stay at the Inn and dine (twice) at the restaurant. If it's nearly as good as it was in January, we will make this a yearly pilgramage.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RandyandSara
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 October 2010

My husband and I recently ate at the Whistling Swan restaurant and were looking forward to it based on reviews here and at Yelp. When we arrived I loved the look of the dining room with the bar and fireplace, but we were seated in the porch which I thought was also very nice. I just read all the comments about it being stuffy, we were perfectly comfortable.

We started with an amuse bouche which we were disappointed in. It was a green gazpacho which had a lot of potential, but needed another component that would have made it much better.

We ordered the pork belly tacos and calamari as appetizers - both exceptionally good. My husband said the pork belly tacos were the best tacos he'd ever had, and I had to agree. These were executed perfectly.

For our main course we had the ribeye and the pork tenderloin, which we were a little disappointed in as well. The ribeye came with hen of the woods mushrooms which we were very excited about, but unfortunately they were overcooked and crispy, totally ruined. It was also served with a potato pie which sounded intriguing, unfortunately they left it in the fryer way too long and it was almost burnt, we were surprised the chef sent it out honestly. The sauce with the steak however was well done and the steak was cooked perfectly. The pork came with an interesting sauce which could have used a little more tang and the pancetta was was overcooked.

Overall we had a very pleasant experience at the restaurant. I have to admit that we have pretty high standards and are true 'foodies' but we were content with the meal we had. I did overhear one of the servers telling another guest that they were shorthanded in the kitchen and one of the servers was helping out in the kitchen. Which I find a little hard to believe, but would make sense because of the big inconsistencies in our food (ie overcooked pancetta but then perfectly cooked steak).

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank scampbell79
Waukesha
Reviewed 4 October 2010

The building, decor, and atmosphere was very nice. Location is great. We found the bed uncomfortable, the walls were thin, drafty, and we could hear bottles dumped in a dumpster from our room. We had the included breakfast and it was very good. We would still recommend staying here as long as you aren't a super picky crazy person.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Twark
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 September 2010

Stayed at the Whistling Swan B&B for 2 nights. The rooms were quite nice. Several of the rooms are ideal for small families with a separate sitting room and sofabed. The restaurant is visually promising, but the food was a big disappointment. The larger of the two seating areas, the porch, is hot and stuffy, and the floor has a substantial slant to it. I had a lamb dish that was tasteless.

If I were to go again, I would stay in the hotel, but would eat elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
11.5 km away
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Whistling Swan Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK