“For the love of duck class”

Savory Spoon Cooking School
Ranked #6 of 17 things to do in Ellison Bay
Reviewed 9 October 2016

Attended the duck cooking class on Friday night. I don't like duck but my husband loves to hunt so thought this would help me appreciate his activity! I loved everything we made! Also met some great people and made new friends. Can't wait to try some of the recipes on wild duck that he has shot. Highly recommend the Savory Spoon classes. You will learn lots, make new friends and have a great meal.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 October 2016

This evening's hands-on class was Italian themed (my husband's favorite) featuring fall foods that are obtainable at home or by mail order (some spices). We have been to many previous classes at Savory Spoon, and again this was a great night out. After Janice Thomas (owner and tonight's teacher) explains each recipe, including little tricks of an experienced chef, we all divide up to cook one of the menu dishes (you can pick appetizer, main course, salad, desert - whatever interests you most), and Janice magically moves around to assist (or rescue) each group as the chopping/cooking/assembling/plating occurs. Participants can move to other groups to see what they are doing, and all the while we are having great discussions with new acquaintances that become friends for the night as we finally sit down and enjoy each dish together (which tastes wonderful no matter how inexperienced the chefs). High quality wine by the glass or bottle is available for purchase at prices similar to good restaurant charges. Our table all agreed you can't go to a restaurant and have such a great meal at the price of the class. I would strongly recommend this to anyone or group because it is such a fun night.

Reviewed 17 September 2016

This was such a great way to spend our first night in Door county. At first I thought it was just going to be a demonstration class and I was disappointed but it was only a 20 min demonstration and then we broke up into groups. Each group prepared a different part on the meal. Then they set up tables and we got to try all the food.

The quarters can get a little tight (always seemed like someone was in your way) but they do the best they can in a small house. Staff was so friendly and worked so hard! Loved our instructor. I can't wait to make fettuccine at home!

Since this is our first time in Door county we also got a lot of good tips on what to do and where to eat from other attendees.

1  Thank Jgro_11
Reviewed 8 September 2016

I attended a vegetarian cooking class. I am not a vegetarian, so was skeptical about the foods (taste and how fulfilling). The recipes were amazing. I loved everything we made and did not miss meat at all.

Janice does a great job assisting and making intimidating recipes come to life. While most of the recipes were too complex for me to make in my regular life as a single working mom, I can easily see ways to simplify them for a weeknight meal. I do plan to make the full version of some of the recipes on the weekend when I have more time.

Enjoying the meal family-style afterwards was a fun and enjoyable experience.

I would definitely attend a class here again.

Reviewed 14 August 2016

I signed up three of my grandchildren for the junior chefs program. They absolutely enjoyed the sessions. Two of them made the same dinner for the family that very evening. The only discouraging factor was communication. I had tried the phone number several times to obtain accurate directions for the third child to arrive at the Hidden Acres Farm. Her family was arriving from out of town and going directly to the site indicated. With no reliable Wi -Fi access, I was discouraged that the phone calls were never returned!