“Nice weekend away so close to Chicago”
Review of Lake Lawn Resort

Lake Lawn Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Delavan
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We (2 adults and 2 small children) stayed during the Memorial Day Holiday weekend and had a great time. Here are some specifics:

Location: I had never been to Lake Delavan and the resort is situated on a long strip of shoreline. The buildings make a large circle with a few spokes (sort of) and there is an "inner courtyard." It is a long walk to go from one end to the other. It was very relaxing to walk along the lake or just sit on the lawn next to the lake. The lake had boating, tubing, jet skiing, and kayaking. We saw ducks, geese, and lots of birds around the resort. There is also a Walmart 1/2 mile away for all the things you forgot to bring.

Room: we had a double queen room and it was very clean and the bathroom updated and spacious. The bedding is not the "heavenly bed" like some other hotels but it was comfortable enough. The room had a microwave, good-sized mini-fridge, and coffee maker in it "standard," so we had lots of snacks, fruit, juice, etc. in the room instead of always going to the restaurants.

Amenities: we didn't use a lot of the amenities, like tennis and BB court. We didn't go boating on the lake although we'll try next time. The golf course looked nice and there were lots of people on it.

Activities: they had special kids' activities for the holiday weekend (don't know if they do that every summer weekend) including a bouncy house, inflatable slide, and animal balloon maker. My kids went on the moonwalk and slide every day we were there. There is also an arcade and kiddie pool (more on that later). They had bonfires every night which was fun, and a band and BBQ on Sunday.

Restaurants: we ate at both the Look Out Grill and Frontier Restaurant: they were both good (what I would expect) and they both had good kids' menus. I thought the breakfast buffet at Frontier was a great value. The Cafe had its grand opening and had coffee drinks, gelato, and some hot food, like gourmet pizza.

Pool: the pool area was a bit dated but nice enough, but the water was VERY cold. Apparently they don't heat the water. People were joking that they should throw some ice in the pool to warm it up. The kiddie pool is a bit small too. So while there were lots of people around the pool, there weren't many people IN the pool (and Sunday was a hot day). Also, for the kids' enjoyment, I would have liked to see a sandbox/ sandy area by the lake. I thought the property had a small beach area, but I was wrong. But at least a sandbox would occupy kids for hours. Last, they ran out of pool towels because there were so many people and had to keep replenishing a few at a time. I would recommend bringing your own anyway (they are kind of small).

Service: I thought the service was good, despite some other reviewers' comments. Check-in and check-out was easy. The Frontier restaurant was a bit slow on service. I had to contact housekeeping a couple of times (once because my child wet the bed), and I couldn't contact them directly so I called the front desk and they paged them and were at my room within 10 minutes.

In conclusion, we'll probably go back for another long weekend to enjoy the views and lake. I think we will choose a more "beachy" location for a longer vacation, but I think this place is great for a golf outing or weekend respite close to Chicago.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Evidently this property is going through some renovation, and they are doing an excellent job! Grounds are well kept, rooms are beautiful, along with ammenities! If the place is packed, you may get a parking lot view- but the lake views are also beautiful. With tennis, basketball, indoor/outdoor pools and rec room - all good for kids, but then add the marina and boat/ jet ski rentals, that you can dock right in front of hotel- and remember to bring you fishing poles and/or golf clubs- and that should keep you busy for a few days! FRONTIER RESTAURANT IS QUITE GOOD- and they have a gormet pizza kitchen as well. I went from 5 days at grand geneva to here and was not dissapointed at all!

Room Tip: If you can get, or request lake side- do this- the parking lot is not a great view:-)
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DGwags
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This was our first time to stay at this resort and didn't really know what to expect and I am happy to say that we were very satisfied of our overall experience especially because we got an awesome deal thru Living Social. This is supposed to be a "resort" and hence here are the reasons only 4 stars from me.

Food/Service of restaurants - we ate at both Lookout Bar (lunch) and Frontier (dinner) and both places can really improve on the quality of the food. As for the waitstaff, they don't seem to be trained well of customer service and seem to be lacking in knowledge of the food/drinks at their establishments
Toiletries - No conditioner and no lotion (even 2-star motels provide these nowadays?)
Spa - is not open until end of summer/early fall this year
Patios/balconies - need to be cleaned - there were some dried up bird poops on the chairs and floors (although our room itself was immaculate)

Even with these complaints/inconveniences, we would go back in a heartbeat to this place especially if we get the same room we had because the view was awesome! We also found out they have a reception from 4:30 - 6:00 where they serve complimentary cheese/crackers and wine at either the garden patio where they have a fire pit or by the outdoor pool which has a great view of the lake. Nice, huh?

One more thing - this place is great for families! They have a ton of activities you can participate in - bonfire/smores, you can rent boats, kayaks, etc.

Once again, our overall experience was great so we'll be back! Hope this helps.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Melanie P
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We really enjoyed lake lawn. The resort is perfectly positioned on the lake so you can enjoy the view no matter what you are doing. During holiday weekends there was so much for the kids to do. Finally, the food in the restaurants food was delicious!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Overall was pleased with the stay. We stayed during the week and felt like we had the place to ourselves. Staff was friendly. We ate at the Frontier Restaurant which was really good. Prices weren't ridiculous but menu was on the small side. Look-out bar was nice; we were able to just take our drinks outside and sit on the lake and drink. Room was clean but I wasn't sure if they wash bed comforters after every guest so I ended up tossing it on the floor and sleeping cold under the sheets. Lots to do in nearby city of Lake Geneva; reminds me of a mini Wisconsin Dells. Overall happy with my stay.

Room Tip: I used a group-on to get a better deal on one of the "Loft" style rooms as they are newer...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeff P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delavan
8.8 km away
7.2 km away
Inns Of Geneva National
Inns Of Geneva National
#6 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to Lake Lawn Resort? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK