Review Highlights

Reviewed 10 November 2017
WVHONEYBEE
West Virginia
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 November 2017

Very nice long trail for walking, running or biking. plenty of things to see. I started at the skate park in Elm Grove and ended up by the river.

Reviewed 10 November 2017 via mobile

This trail was built by people from wheeling that rode bicycles! They helped develop the idea and do the preliminary work. It is bothersome that wheeling could just let the name be the bike trail. Too many walkers with strollers, roller blades, and dog walkers ( with flexi-leashes) these days. People complain about riding on the roads but these things make riding on the trail difficult.

Date of experience: November 2017
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

So I've lived in Pittsburgh since 2010 and have never really explored Wheeling (besides Oglebay Resort). Today I drove to Wheeling and parked along the trail in an industrial area near a Lowe's Home Improvement store.

The trail surprised me. It was well-maintained. Traffic was light. There were interesting historical markers to read. The people I did pass were all friendly and raced to be the first to greet me as we passed. I was thrilled to find Port-a-Potties, as nature called! Haha! The view of the river was great, and the trail was well-integrated with the surrounding city.

2  Thank SteelCityRising
Reviewed 12 August 2017

The Wheeling Heritage System consists of two trails, the Wheeling Creek Trail & River Trail. I would recommend just riding the River Trail. Here is why:
There is plenty of parking at Elm Grove and I started biking west, going through the well lit Hempfield Tunnel. The trail then merges with the city streets, and you have to follow bike stencils on the street. The stencils are well worn out. You are also biking thru a very rough looking section of town.
The stencils completely disappear about two blocks from the river. I had looked at a map which showed where the River Trail was (next to the Ohio River, of course.) and just biked down to the River Front.
The River Trail south of the downtown area I really wouldn't recommend. It's through an industrail area without any scenery. There is an old sign which advertises "food and restroom" and there is just an empty lot. That sign should be taken down.
The River Trail north was much better in scenery, varying between greenery on each side and noisy road in other sections.
The trail itself was in good repair. Yes, there are some cracks that could use some sealing, but other all, good.
I had to return to my vehicle in Elm Grove by the Wheeling Creek Trail, and the return trip was even less marked. I was lucky I remembered a funeral home on the corner to make the correct turn.
All in all,I got my miles in for an upcoming bike tour, but I won't visit the Wheeling Heritage Trail again.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

I only recently have gotten into biking. During this summer, I have been going down on the weekend to ride on this trail. If you start from the 0.0 marker (Not at the waterfront!) the ride it like 18 miles all the way past Warwood continues on to the Brooke Pioneer trail. A there and back ride is approximately 37 mile!

The water front usually has an event going on during the weekends. For the most part the system is pretty well kept... I will say there are a few stretches where there are either raised bumps (from roots or erosion) in the asphalt. Also cracks in some stretches that they repair irregularly. Once you get past the damn and coal tower, the pioneer trail is a bit more natural and there are places to lunch and picnic. There are also a few sections where you will be riding along the highway.

I ride at about 14 mph and i can do the entire trip in about 2.0+ hrs. Plenty of friendly people and other cyclists coming both directions. Overall, a fun ride along the river.

Date of experience: June 2017