Review Highlights
One of my favorite bike trails

This trail starts at 48th Street in Wheeling and goes all the way to Wellsburg, WV. I believe the... read more

Reviewed 27 August 2018
JukeJointJimmy
Glen Dale, West Virginia
Nice long trail

Very nice long trail for walking, running or biking. plenty of things to see. I started at the... read more

Reviewed 26 November 2017
mawsdang
Yuma, Arizona

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 July 2016

It was a Saturday, so we parked right at the downtown park and rode north for about 5 miles. There is one section along the highway, but mostly near the river and behind some industrial and housing areas. Very peaceful and well-kept trail.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 6 July 2016

For bikers a paved trail is a real luxury. This one extends from South Wheeling all the way to Wellsburg. Lots of scenic views along the river and in the Wheeling portion there are opportunities to stop out to eat and rest. Make sure to rest at the Pike Island Dam and watch a barge lock through. An alternate route takes you through a tunnel and follows Wheeling Creek through wooded areas to Elm Grove. Friendly people and lots of fellow bikers and runners and walkers.

Date of experience: July 2016
Reviewed 10 June 2016

I went for a 5 mile jog along the Wheeling Heritage Trail. I started right downtown by the hockey rink and then headed north (I think). Anyway, the scenery was very nice, there were friendly people walking their dogs and kids and the weather was perfect. I am very happy I found this nice trail during my stay in Wheeling.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 1 June 2016 via mobile

Wheelings Heritage Trail used to be a trail worth driving to. It rolls along a creek, through the town including Heritage Port then the entire length of Ohio county along the river. Folks generally take care of their property along the way making for a pleasant ride. However, those in charge of the trail have done the public a huge disservice by failing to do basic maintenance along the trail. There are long stretches that are nearly impassable on a road bike. Large cracks have developed every 10-15 yards nearly the entire length of the river portion until you get to the pike island area. Fortunately there is a well maintained 9 mile section from Pike Island to Brooke County. But this is one of the least scenic portions of the trail.
I'd love to update this review with positive notes about attempts to update the trail... But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Date of experience: June 2016
Reviewed 5 May 2016

My fiances parents live right on the trail, so I've spent a lot of time walking on the trail. The trail offers a great way to exercise and enjoy the outdoors, while not having to dodge traffic. The only downside is there are no restrooms along the trail.

Date of experience: March 2016