“Dinner after shopping”

Applebee's
Ranked #39 of 112 Restaurants in Wheeling
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 26 July 2016

My son loves to eat here because of the game station at the tables. When we first walked in, I noticed a smell that was not pleasant. While the food was passable, it was nothing great. The service was ok but not outstanding. The hostess seemed to not be happy about being there.

Reviewed 23 July 2016

I recently discovered that I have a gluten sensitivity and I'm still learning the dos and don'ts. I visited this Applebee's last week with my very pregnant friend because that's where she wanted to eat. I quickly scanned my Gluten Free Restaurant Items app to see if there would be something I could eat. After seeing several things on the list, I figured it would be safe.

When we got there, I asked for the gluten free menu and was given the booklet containing allergen information. That's fine, I've had to look through that at other restaurants since they don't have a dedicated gluten free menu other places like Olive Garden does. On their list of gluten free foods are french fries and tortilla chips. I thought it was exciting that those options were available, so I asked the server about it further. She said the corn chips are fried in the morning so they don't come in contact with the other foods. I asked if they had a dedicated fryer for gluten free items and she said no, it's the same oil everything else is fried in. When I said that they couldn't be guaranteed gluten free if they are fried in the same oil, she shrugged her shoulders. When I ordered steamed broccoli, she warned me that it had garlic butter on it. (Nothing to do with gluten)
Applebee's! WAKE UP! Inform your servers. Figure out a REAL gluten free menu. Fries and chips fried in oil with anything breaded are NOT GLUTEN FREE!! You guys have a ton of salads but only two of them are on your gluten safe list. Might I suggest saying that all of your salads could be gluten free if you opt not to have certain toppings?
With more and more people being diagnosed with Celiacs or Hashimoto's, there are going to be more customers requiring a gluten free menu. What you currently have listed as gluten free is not safe for people with those illnesses. People with gluten sensitivities want to be able to go out to a restaurant with friends or family for special occasions and not be sick afterward. You guys have developed a great children's menu with healthy options (both my kids enjoyed carrot sticks and ranch dipping sauce). You could easily create a small gluten friendly menu like that. I'm crossing Applebee's off my list of places I can eat until you guys improve your menu and inform your servers.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

Clean, attentive waitress, wanted a quick desert fix, and was not disappointed. Chocolate, ice cream, melt in your mouth good. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 15 December 2015

We went to Applebee's before seeing Oglebay's Festival of Lights because they have a good kid's menu and we had our 5 year old grandson with us. But his food was the only good thing we ordered! I ordered a Shrimp Wanton Stir Fry, which had no wontons - just some crispy shredded strips on top. The shrimp were plentiful, but were so undercooked they were practically raw, and I couldn't eat them. I had 2 small pieces of broccoli and maybe one piece of mushroom. The rest was red peppers and rice. My husband ordered enchiladas that looked delicious in the picture on the menu, Unfortunately the food that arrived looked nothing like the picture. He said it was terrible. Thank goodness the chicken strips and fries our grandson ordered were very good. I would not recommend Applebee's after this visit.

Reviewed 30 November 2015

Just passing through, stopped for lunch. It was reasonably quick and reasonably priced. Nothing special, nothing bad.

Been to Applebee's? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK