See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 February 2017 via mobile

Nice treat and break from the top of the mountain. Great food, healthy choices, good wine and beer selection. The salad was unique and tasty. My husband had the beer potato bacon soup and enjoyed it. I wish I had saved room for desert!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2016

Clean, Quiet, lovely Inn. Homey. Loved the great room where my friends and I could gather after dinner and share a glass of wine and chat. Like having our own living room. Slept like a log. Then the next morning, had a wonderful full breakfast of fluffy scrambled eggs, toast, sausage, bacon, cereal, etc. Just wish the WIFI had worked.

Room Tip: good for a group
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2016

This little retreat is only a few scant miles from Snowshoe resort - but a world away if you seek peace and quiet. The cabins looked quaint, but I stayed in the inn - totally quiet evening, found out there were a couple other folks there at breakfast, but never heard a sound. The rooms are small and simple, but impeccably clean with soft linens, a modern bath, flat screen TV with ample choices. If you need more room, there are two family rooms downstairs with TV and couches, and a nice deck out back.
I cracked the window and fell asleep to the sound of the stream, awakened to birdsong. Breakfast was cooked to order with a smile - very tasty! Very much like spending a peaceful evening at a friend's house...or grandma's!
I was there for business, but would definitely return for a weekend get-away, and would love to try the restaurant, not open when I was there.
Only one catch - no cell service in this neck of the woods, but there is a phone available at the entrance.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

This is a reasonably priced rustic B&B. No a/c but you are in the mountains and it is cooler. The breakfast is good and when you see someone the hospitality is wonderful but...but...

First, this whole area is completely dead in the summer, especially if your long weekend includes Monday and Tuesday. Not just the B&B, everywhere. Which makes no sense. There are probably hundreds of hiking trails in the county and many free national and state parks. Did I mention free? Because in Northern Virginia I would have to pay to enter most parks of this caliber.

Second, there are many cool things on Snowshoe mountain shrouded in mystery. There is Shaver's lake with a white sand beach. At the resort, they told me I had to use the lift ($10 per person), which was closed on Monday through Wednesday. However, there is actually a secret unmarked road to the lake. We had to get a map from Ramon at the B&B. The map also showed hiking trails. We finally found the road and were rewarded by seeing a mama black bear and her cub. But alas, it was Monday so all amenities were closed. Except for the hammocks and playgrounds. Which was enough.

Third,if you are staying during the week, you will not be able to get a decent meal for 50 miles. The guys at Route 66 can make a good pizza. If you are going hiking, stop at Subway and get sandwiches. There is one restaurant open on Snowshoe on Monday. None on Tuesday or Wednesday. An expensive supposedly high class resort five miles up a mountain with no restaurants. Go figure.

Fourth, as another guest mentioned you are in a 13,000 square mile dead zone. You need to download your google map of WV and plan ahead. We are not used to this. Luckily I had a brochure of the county and 2 guidebooks from the library.

Turning back to the inn. It is not reasonable of course to expect full staff for such a small place. Apparently they do have voice mail. It was not working when I tried to reserve and called 4 times on different days at different times. I finally emailed and was able to call on the weekend. It is okay. Email is probably better for them. No call forwarding or Ring central when there is no cell service...

However, do not estimate your arrival time. Be on time. We were not and no one was there. I had no cell service, but logged on to their wifi. No email message from them. Through a door that was not the reservation door, I found a note confirming our room number. I do not know why it was not emailed to me or I was not told to look for it. But it was okay.

And that's the point. You are in the middle of nowhere. It is nice to have your iPhone turned into camera only mode. You will not get work email when out and about and all you can do at dinner is be with your family (and edit photos...) But do plan ahead.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2015

This is a very pleasant B & B in an awesome location deep in West Virginia. We needed a two night stay in a location close to the Monongahela National Forest where we planned to have a "rest day" following some strenuous sightseeing. We had booked in February on the basis that their restaurant would be open but the owners decided to shut this for the summer omitting to forewarn us before arriving. There is not a lot in the area as alternatives so this would have been helpful.

The room was very pleasant although hot with no aircon after the hotels we had stayed in. Shower was good. Breakfast on the first day was excellent but the standard dropped a bit on the second.

The overall welcome here was very warm but I do not think they get many guests in the summer months as it is mainly a winter resort. It appeared that there was only one other couple there at the same time.

Be aware that there is no mobile signal in this area because Slatyfork is less than twenty miles from the Green Bank radio telescope north east of Cass. You can read about why in Wikipedia if you search "United States National Radio Quiet Zone" If you are surgically attached to your mobile and can't do without text etc then think twice before going here.

Room Tip: If it is hot have one with larger windows
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple