See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

This is a reasonably priced rustic B&B. No a/c but you are in the mountains and it is cooler. The breakfast is good and when you see someone the hospitality is wonderful but...but...

First, this whole area is completely dead in the summer, especially if your long weekend includes Monday and Tuesday. Not just the B&B, everywhere. Which makes no sense. There are probably hundreds of hiking trails in the county and many free national and state parks. Did I mention free? Because in Northern Virginia I would have to pay to enter most parks of this caliber.

Second, there are many cool things on Snowshoe mountain shrouded in mystery. There is Shaver's lake with a white sand beach. At the resort, they told me I had to use the lift ($10 per person), which was closed on Monday through Wednesday. However, there is actually a secret unmarked road to the lake. We had to get a map from Ramon at the B&B. The map also showed hiking trails. We finally found the road and were rewarded by seeing a mama black bear and her cub. But alas, it was Monday so all amenities were closed. Except for the hammocks and playgrounds. Which was enough.

Third,if you are staying during the week, you will not be able to get a decent meal for 50 miles. The guys at Route 66 can make a good pizza. If you are going hiking, stop at Subway and get sandwiches. There is one restaurant open on Snowshoe on Monday. None on Tuesday or Wednesday. An expensive supposedly high class resort five miles up a mountain with no restaurants. Go figure.

Fourth, as another guest mentioned you are in a 13,000 square mile dead zone. You need to download your google map of WV and plan ahead. We are not used to this. Luckily I had a brochure of the county and 2 guidebooks from the library.

Turning back to the inn. It is not reasonable of course to expect full staff for such a small place. Apparently they do have voice mail. It was not working when I tried to reserve and called 4 times on different days at different times. I finally emailed and was able to call on the weekend. It is okay. Email is probably better for them. No call forwarding or Ring central when there is no cell service...

However, do not estimate your arrival time. Be on time. We were not and no one was there. I had no cell service, but logged on to their wifi. No email message from them. Through a door that was not the reservation door, I found a note confirming our room number. I do not know why it was not emailed to me or I was not told to look for it. But it was okay.

And that's the point. You are in the middle of nowhere. It is nice to have your iPhone turned into camera only mode. You will not get work email when out and about and all you can do at dinner is be with your family (and edit photos...) But do plan ahead.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2015

This is a very pleasant B & B in an awesome location deep in West Virginia. We needed a two night stay in a location close to the Monongahela National Forest where we planned to have a "rest day" following some strenuous sightseeing. We had booked in February on the basis that their restaurant would be open but the owners decided to shut this for the summer omitting to forewarn us before arriving. There is not a lot in the area as alternatives so this would have been helpful.

The room was very pleasant although hot with no aircon after the hotels we had stayed in. Shower was good. Breakfast on the first day was excellent but the standard dropped a bit on the second.

The overall welcome here was very warm but I do not think they get many guests in the summer months as it is mainly a winter resort. It appeared that there was only one other couple there at the same time.

Be aware that there is no mobile signal in this area because Slatyfork is less than twenty miles from the Green Bank radio telescope north east of Cass. You can read about why in Wikipedia if you search "United States National Radio Quiet Zone" If you are surgically attached to your mobile and can't do without text etc then think twice before going here.

Room tip: If it is hot have one with larger windows
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sybil_Fawlty
Reviewed 15 June 2015 via mobile

The Elk River Inn was a wonderful place to stay. The food is absolutely out of this world!! Service was great as well. Lodging is close to the Rails to Trails making the visit simple to navigate. I would highly recommend this inn to anyone who wants to explore beautiful WVA.

Date of stay: June 2015
Reviewed 4 February 2015

I've eaten there many times over the years, but have never had the occasion to stay there until this past Fall. I'm sorry it's taken so long to send this review, because they deserve the great rating.

I've always used them as a nice dining evening out while staying up on the mountain at Snowshoe...it is a nice escape to come off of the mountain and get away from the crowds. Very quiet, relaxed atmosphere with good company, food and drink.

So I had a chance to stay at the main inn on a quick trip to the area and thought I'd give 'em a try...sooooo glad I did!!! Good price, clean room, nice great room with fireplace off the dining area for guests too. The comfortable, warm ambiance on a cold November evening was very enjoyable.

Breakfast the next morning was outstanding. Breakfast buffet served up by a wonderful lady that takes pride in her cooking, serving and hospitality. Good food choices for everyone from healthy to hearty and in between.

Take the opportunity to stay here. It is a great location for exploring Pocohantas county and all of its year 'round beauty.

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 December 2014

We left snowshoe on Christmas day and started having car trouble on the way down the mountain. We stopped at the Elk River Inn and fortunately they had a room available. The inn was clean and the owners and staff were very accommodating...they showed my kids to the living room and had some toys to help tame my son. That night the owner went out of her way to take me up to the local gas/grocery store so I could get some items. The next morning breakfast was great and got us ready for our drive down the mountain. We will be back, either during fishing season or ski season as the location is ideal!

Date of stay: December 2014