“Great Location”

Ranked #16 of 25 Hotels in Morgantown
Sydney, Australia
“Great Location”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is a decent hotel with a great location if you want to be close to bars and restaurants. The other great feature is the hotel's restaurant and lounge on the 8th floor, which serves very good food and has a patio with excellent views of Morgantown (when you're standing up at least). The lobby bar is also a nice place. Rooms are a bit dated but clean, functional and quite large. Prices are reasonable.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Vorteks
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times, usually with my fiance. However, on April 13, 2011, I stayed one night by myself. I never had any previous issues but after last night's stay I will NEVER EVER set foot in this hotel again. Nor will my mother and daughter on their subsequent visits to WV. Valet parking is free with the room and as I overheard another guest tell the staff that the lot was full when I checked in, I opted to have them valet. Upon check out this morning, after waiting for TEN MINS for someone to show up and calling for anyone to help, a girl ("Jess") walks in the front door and steps around the desk. No apology for being out of the building and not manning the desk, no apology EVER in the entire ensuing conversation. Just rudeness and smirking. I told her I was checking out and I needed my car and handed her my ticket. She asked my room number & description of my car. I told her, she handed me my keys. I asked who was going to bring me the car, she said no one. Really. That's what she said. Then she told me she wasn't licensed so I'd have to get it myself. I started getting upset as I told her I had no idea where my car even WAS and she showed me a map and pointed to the main lot but had no idea which space number. I said had I known there'd be no one to actually valet my car at checkout, I'd have parked it myself so I'd at least know where I parked! She kept interrupting me and talking over me, saying valet wasn't even included in my rate and that she wasn't about to go and drive my car with no license. Missing the entire point as absolutely she would not have been driving MY car with no license but that SOMEONE should have been there as valet IS INCLUDED in the rate! When I'd had enough of her rude behavior and smirking and told her I didnt even know where the lot WAS, not to mention I had my BAGS to carry, "Jess" THREW the  map at me and ACTUALLY said "There's the map. Sort it out yourself!" Verbatim! I asked her if she was SERIOUS and she smirked and said "Yep!" To top it off, my car WASN'T parked in the main lot, it was in a lot BEHIND the hotel! This is so beyond unacceptable behavior, I can't even TELL you and they will NEVER have my business again. Such a shame to treat ANY guest that poorly in the service industry but a REPEAT customer??? Business must really be good.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank MMMaureen
Courtdale
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I would just like to say this place is really nice. It is an old Hotel, but made up really nice. Perfect night stay. Would definitely stay again. Strongly recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms are really nice...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 April 2012

An old hotel which is so different from everything else around.How lucky we were to find it.The lobby is beautiful and the rooms are large and clean.A bit old fashioned but that is the charm.
The restaurant on the 8 th floor is beautiful and reminded me of England. The food was very good. They also have a lovely outdoor patio up here ,so pretty but it was too cool to sit out.
The front staff should have promoted the restaurant more as it was very good.He also forgot to tell me we had a complimentary breakfast but I found it.
All in all a hotel that needs a bit of change but more for those of us who want to relax.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Danvers, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I stayed at the Morgan on March 22, 2012. It's conveniently located in the center of town, near many restaurants, pubs and shops and a short walk from the Monongehela (did I spell that right?) River. It's also next to the Mon Arts Center which has interesting work of local artists displayed. The lobby will thrill those who appreciate real wood, crafted with pride. It's a grand place on a small scale. My room was serviceable, but just that. I requested a room "up high", and got the fourth floor. Facing the wall of another building. Request a room in floors above 6, and facing the river. The bed was fine and the room very spacious. Three things I wished for: 1. a chair to sit in for reading. I found the love seat very uncomfortable. 2. An updated desk chair. Mine was frayed and did not work properly 3. Real glass glasses, not plastic. The plastic dragged the whole feel of the place down to "Super 8" level. But I'm probably too picky.

The staff is terrific, and drinks at the bar are a steal, for a hotel in a city center. I got a hefty draft of the excellent regional brew, Yuengling Lager for $3.50, and a bartender who stayed open a bit late so that I could get my beer. The desk staff was beyond wonderful. I discovered at 9:30 PM that there was a problem with the printer in the business center which was going to have major implications for a presentation I had to give the next morning. The young woman at the desk -I wish I could remember her name- was so kind and so helpful. She re-configured my paper page by page so that it would work with their front desk computer software and thus be printed there. She saved my presentation, and did it with good humor.

My complaints are relatively minor. I enjoyed my stay. When I return to Morgantown I will stay at the Morgan again rather than one of the faceless chain hotels nearby.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business