Free cancellation until 29/07
US$ 158
US$ 130
Baker's Hill Inn(Bluefield)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfree breakfastpassing through townwould stay here againback homegood nights sleepnickinnsrestrooms
Reviewed 22 August 2010

The bed was comfortable but service terrible. Breakfast horrible, gross!!!! Staff too busy smoking and talking. Never again for this visitor.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KBBK
kbarefoot7, General Manager at Quality Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2010

I am the new general manager of the hotel and we have applied lot of changes. I 'm sure if yiou plan a stay now you wwill be more then pleased.

Reviewed 6 July 2010

We reserved a non-smoking room but couldn't get into it because the key card wouldn't work. After 2 trips to the front desk (from the opposite side of hotel that has no elevators, the mgr informed the desk clerk that that room's lock was broken. We were informed that they only had 2 more rooms available, both of which were smoking. Being that it was after 9 pm after a very long day of traveling, we regretfully chose not to try to find another hotel. Everything in the room was sticky with smoke residue, including the shower faucet. Both bathroom faucets (sink/shower) leaked. Bathtub had red stains in it and a non-stick mat that made me wonder if I shld have been wearing shower shoes or plastic thongs. Beds were NOT pillow soft as hotel described (more like hard as a rock). Shower also so short that anyone OVER 5 feet tall would have to bend over to get under it (and I am 5 ft tall). My advice: drive a few miles down the road to Princeton to the Holiday Inn. It HAS to be better than this was. (Also wasted several hours the next morning trying to get rid of aggravated attitude.) As others described, staff was extremely unprofessional. Would NOT RECOMMEND this hotel to worst enemy! Don't try to save money by staying here; save your aggravation and drive on down the road! Listen to the other reviews; they're not exaggerating. I wish I'd known about this site when I booked the room. I wldn't have stayed if I'd known the problems are long-standing.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2010

We arrived after a foot of snow fell in Bluefield. The hotel is on top of a high hill with an extremely steep driveway which was neither scraped nor salted. After watching another car fail 3 times to get up the drive, we parked across the highway at a department store and hiked across the road lugging our belongings up to the hotel which was about an 1/8 mile but steep and slick and extremely difficult in the windy, frigid weather. Upon explaining to the desk clerk where we'd been forced to park, no apology nor offer to help nor make up for the inconvenience was made.
After about 10 minutes the clerk finished checking us in and we went to our room. There was a loud, broken oscillating fan in the hall outside our room that made a consistent banging noise throughout the evening. Our bathroom door did not close, much less lock and the wallpaper was peeling all over the room. No manager was on duty and we had to be at work shortly so we didn't have time to complain.
We went to the hotel restaurant and ordered a hamburger and wings to take to our room. After 20 minutes, 4 people that were seated after us received their burgers and wings and we still had nothing. Finally, after about 40 minutes we got our food and wolfed it down before heading to work.
The next morning we wanted to talk to a manager and were told he would be in at 11am. He arrived at 1pm after numerous hotel staff members called and texted him and he walked right past us into his office. He would not come out to talk to us at all.
We exited the hotel and had to push the automatic doors open manually because they weren't working properly. We proceeded to our car (that my associate had walked to retrieve earlier) through the unscraped parking lot and slid down the treacherous drive that only had one lane scraped and were lucky enough not to meet oncoming traffic. In retrospect, I am very surprised we SURVIVED our stay at the LEAST "Quality" hotel I've ever seen.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The rooms were nice and clean, but the resturant left a bad taste. My food was raw, and the salsa was moldy. The glass that my pop came in had a dirty film on it, did not drink it. Bought a pop out of pop machine and it had expired December 30, 2009 and it was January 31, 2010. The manager was very nice and apologized for the delay at the resturant, but I think the waitress was also the cook. My food come luke warm to begin with and when I bite into my chicken strip it was completely raw. It had snowed and although the snow was removed from the front of hotel, the back doors were terrible to get in and out of. Plus the door did not lock.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 December 2009

The Quality Hotel (formerly the Bluefield Holiday Inn) is nice, but it's not exactly what I would call wonderful to say the least. The rooms are large and spacious and the beds are firm and comfortable, however, if you stay here, you need to request a front-side room that overlooks the town of Bluefield and the Appalachian mountains, because if you receive a back-side room, you are staring at either the outdoor pool and other side of the hotel or staring straight into the East River Mountain, which is definitely not a good view. They have a restaurant and night club instead of any sort of continental breakfast and some of the people who exit the bar are drunk as skunks which could be dangerous, so just be sure to stay away from there during the nighttime hours! They have an arcade for the kids, outdoor pool, exercise room, and conference center. The hallways are a bit dingy with the wallpaper beginning to peel and parts of the hallways seem a bit dark. It is a 2-floor hotel with no elevators, so if you have a lot of luggage and get a 2nd floor room, you will have to haul your luggage up 2 flights of stairs. Also, it is easy to get confused once you go to your room, because the corridors are split with the pool in the middle of them, so you have no idea which direction to go unless you guess at it or ask. The good thing about this place is that it is pretty quiet being on top of a mountain. If you stay here, be advised that it's definitely nothing special. Like I said, it used to be a Holiday Inn, but I guess it wasn't nice enough or didn't have high enough quality to keep their good name. Oh well! It may be in your best interest to go down the road a 1/2 mile to the Econo Lodge or Knight Inn or go about 15 miles to the Comfort Suites...they are probably just as good if not better for a lower rate.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business