“Must love extreme peace and quiet”
Review of Highlawn Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley Springs
Highlawn Inn
Mechanicsburg, PA
“Must love extreme peace and quiet”
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was our first time at a B&B, so we aren't really experienced with that sort of stay. The property was lovely, it's pretty high up on the hill so if you're planning to walk to town it's not far but a bit steep. The place was very clean, lots of frou frou stuff around which fits the victorian charm of the building. Breakfast was lovely...room spacious...however I didn't like the restriction of a timer on the whirlpool. It's the only room with a private whirlpool, you pay extra for it, and I didn't appreciate that I could only run it for 20 mins (it actually shut off in less than 15). As for the town, I expected quiet but it was even quieter than I thought it would be. If you are up after 11pm you will be hard pressed to entertain yourself. If you're looking for sleepy, Berkeley Springs is a good choice and this B&B is too. It was a good value, owners nice but I did sort of notice a drop in that as soon as I handed the check over. Could use a decent TV- preferably with some acceptable size to it and flat screen since there is truly nothing to do in that town in inclement weather or after dinner. Don't bother with the whirlpool room, might as well just use a bathtub for less $.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ellecee72
highlawn2, Owner at Highlawn Inn, responded to this review, 16 November 2011
Regarding the whirlpool timer, the timer is pre set from the manufacturer for 15 minutes for safety issues. Other spas in town have the same policys. Now while this amount of time is recommended for safety, a guest can hit the start button and the 15 minute cycle will start again.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 November 2011

I stayed at Highlawn Inn twice while looking for property in the area, accompanied by my hard to impress Mother on one occasion.

Sandy is wonderful both as a hostess and cook. She handled my vegetarian requests effortlessly even at the New Year's Eve dinner party. The breakfast buffet is a wonder of choices from very healthy to positively decadent. Lots of fresh coffee, a water cooler full of the local Berkeley Springs mineral water and lots of local information, including recommending a fabulous realtor.

The rooms are full blown country Victorian and comfy. Nice views out the windows. Loved being able to soak in the local mineral water. I left my door ajar at night so the resident cats could come and snuggle - that's a plus!

I'll be recommending Highlawn Inn to all my weekend students.

Room Tip: Take a little time to read the descriptions and then call and talk with Sandy to get the perfect &qu...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Herbal-Gypsy
Elkton, Virginia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

My sister and I have a getaway a few times a year and like to try new places. I have driven through Berkeley Springs for the past several years probably 150 or more times and this was only the second time staying in Berkeley Springs and I am so glad I did. We were very warmly received and loved both the main house and the Bathkeepers Quarters (which we stayed at for 3 days). Sandy was so accomodating and friendly. We both really like cats and there were 5 or so there. Both my sister and I would have liked to have taken the cat named Chico home with us. The breakfasts were out of this world. The juices were so different and fresh. The pastries and breakfast casseroles were fantastic and the coffee like no other I have tried. Very good. A lot of attention to detail is given to everything that they do there and all of the servers were so nice and friendly and great to talk to.
As far as the Bathkeeper's Quarters, we loved it there. Great to sit outside in the morning and have our morning coffe on the very large porch with lots of rocking chairs and other chairs. The whirlpool tub was so very relaxing and we enjoyed the toasty gas fireplace in the evening. It is located where you can walk to a lot of places like the Farmer's Market on Sunday and shopping spots and restaurants. Fun things that my sister and I like to do.
It is a wonderful place to stay and we would love to come with our huisbands next time and stay at the Bathkeeper's Quarters again. Thank you for a lovely time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank twinkleyeyes15
texas
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We stayed here and this place is awesome. The wonderful breakfast that Susan creates is scrumptious. We went up to see family, and on one occasion, when we thought we had time for breakfast and our family arrived a little too early, Susan provided yummy coffee cake and coffee for them. Although I am allergic to cats, we stayed in Aunt Pearl's house without any problems whatsoever. The shops, spas and state park are blocks away. This is just a convenient location with marvelous customer service.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Lovetotravel553633
Ohio
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This is a lovely property and close in to town. Its around the corner from Lot 12, a great restaurant. Rooms are heavily decorated with much Victorian bric a brac everywhere. It is cozy and comfortable, but you may have to move a few things to make room for your own. That being said, rooms are very clearly appointed with comfort in mind. Amenities are very good. Touches are thoughtful. Cleanliness is outstanding. Beds are very comfortable.
I stayed in a room just off the common breakfast area. Even though it is so close, it is quiet bec of a second heavy door separating it from the eating area. It also had its own entrance which was nice.
When I arrived, it was a heavy rainstorm, and it would have been nice if someone pointed out the alternate entrance to me ( closer to drive), rather than traipsing thru the entire house soaking wet and with luggage. That is a small thing however.
Re breakfast- I suggest you arrive as soon as it starts as most ppl seem to do this ( although I was not told this), and dishes are not replenished once the buffet is opened. The breakfast is lovely for most people, but this is not a good place for a person with dietary restrictions. There are some attempts to meet restrictions, but they are scant efforts and may not be knowledgeable. Worse still, they may think they know, but really don't. There is no frig or microwave available for guests, but there is hot and cold water available to mix w dried packets of soup, etc. I chose to do this, and was not even offered a bowl, etc to "make" my own food. I don't think this was deliberate. Although the owner has the reputation of being an excellent cook, they really are not prepared for, or inclined to, cater to individual dietary needs.
Although this is a lovely property, I would try to not stay here again. It is quite expensive ( $150 per night after tax and up charge for paying w credit card) for simply a place to sleep, and there really was little accommodation for my personal needs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank neverstoptraveling
highlawn2, Owner at Highlawn Inn, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
When this guest called re Gluten-Free food I told her I stock gluten-free bread for toast and she said this wouldn't work if any other bread had been in the toaster. We also have fresh fruit, breakfast meats and egg dishes. She said she needed 2 soft boiled eggs which I agreed to.
I did say "I don't think you get your moneys worth at a B&B. She said not a problem she is used to her diet. When this guest arrived at the buffet shortly before 10am when it ends there were plenty of filled dishes (only the Herb Potatoes was low). I offered her scrambled eggs and she said she couldn't eat them if anything else had been cooked in the pan and she didn't eat bacon.I then proceeded to soft boil her eggs and she had fresh fruit. This guest came out of her room with a hot cereal in a bowl to which she added hot water and asked for skim milk which we delivered. I assumed she used her own bowl by choice and did not think to offer another bowl.We do have rooms with refrigerators (3) and a 4 room bldg. with a guest refrigerator to all in a pantry. No mention was made of this at reservation when she could have made a different room choice.I have a regular guest who is Gluten Free and she enjoys the toast I keep plus all the other buffet items. I point out any dishes with flour, etc. that she should avoid.As a result of this particular visit I am reluctant to accept another gluten-free reservation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley Springs
0.3 km away
The Country Inn of Berkeley Springs
The Country Inn of Berkeley Spri...
#1 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
2.5 km away
Best Western Berkeley Springs Inn
Best Western Berkeley Springs In...
#2 of 4 in Berkeley Springs
17.4 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
Hilton Garden Inn Martinsburg
#1 of 14 in Martinsburg

Been to Highlawn Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK