“Good food, but needs other improvements.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 242 Restaurants in Yakima
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Description: We are the leading Yakima Mexican Restaurant winning awards and recognition throughout the Northwest. Santiago's is Yakima's favorite restaurant to have been published within Northwest Best Places... And for over three decades of continuous recognition. We offer the largest Tequila selection North of the Border, a large selection of local Microbrews on tap as well as our Award-Winning Wine selection. Also, enjoy our outdoor dining. Our efforts have been rewarded as recipients of "Best Mexican Restaurant", "Best Place to take a Client to Lunch" and "Best Wine List" from numerous newspapers/magazines publications and readers polls. The Daily Farmers of Washington awarded Santiago's First-Place in the 2002 "Washington's Best Nachos" recipes contest. Our winning recipe: Chili con Queso is outstanding! It took first place again in 2003!
Yakima, WA
“Good food, but needs other improvements.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

My wife and I visited Santiago's last week as our favorite place, Tequila's was recently closed. We entered in through the rear entrance on a Friday night at 7pm and found no one to greet us. We walked through the restaurant to the front entrance to find a very busy wait staff and we joined the que line to get a seat. We were seated after 5 minutes and received a booth on the main walkway of the restaurant. I quickly discovered that this was not a good location as the subfloor below the walkway and booth was not adaquately framed or was done with thin plywood. Every time a server or customer walked by, my seat flexed dramatically down from their weight. It wasn't a big deal at first, but after 10 minutes it was literally driving me crazy. It was like riding on a bumpy bus ride, as people constantly walked back and forth and my seat went up and down continually.
We had a great waitress and she was extremely busy but kept dropping back by to get us more chips, salsa or drinks. I ordered the steak fajitas and my wife ordered the carne asada. The meals took about 30 minutes to arrive, but the waitress was very nice and apologetic about the delay and how busy they were. She even ended up giving me a free beer for the delay. That righted my annoyances and showed that customer service really was a priority.
The food was delicious, and was affordable for the quality level, around $40.
Overall I would return but would not sit on the main aisle of the restaurant as the flexing floor and booth drove me batty. The service from the waitress was outstanding, and made up for the slow food service from the kitchen. But the wait was worth it, as the food was excellent.
Also, I wanted to add that the fajitias only came with 2 tortillas, and when I asked for one more, I was charged an additional charge (kind of ridiculous as the meal was huge and there was no way to eat it with 2 tortillas). And finally, the salsa had good flavor, but had no heat at all. We had to pour hot sauce in it to get a little heat.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Seattle, WA
“Huge Portions but Pricey for Mexican Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

We ordered the fish tacos and a taco salad which arrived quickly and were tasty. The portions were so large we ate only half of our dinners. Our two dinners with two beers were just under $40.00, which we consider pricey for Mexican food in Yakima, WA. Our recommendation to this restaurant management would be to reduce the cost and size of the dinner. We looked at the other meals being served and it seemed all choices on the menu are extremely large.

• Visited August 2012
East Wenatchee, Washington
“So disappointed!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

We went here after having been here on other occassions when we have been in Yakima. The service was very poor, our margarita was awful and the food was more than disappointing. I did not even end up eating my dinner and not one comment from the server about the quality (yes, I did make a comment to her about it but received no real concern from her). They were a little busy due a conference in town, but since I am also a server I know that service could have been WAY better. We will not be back :(

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Tracy D
Yakima, Washington
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“High end Mexico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2012

A bit on the pricey side, but great food! Fish tacos...do I need to say more! Great outside seating in the warm summer nights.

Visited August 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Only thing good was the Margarities”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Had the enchilada platter that lacked taste and was buried in a mountain of melted cheese. Could not eat it all. Our other order was a taco salad where the lettuce was swimming in water and the meat and cheese were melted together in a big ball. The only good thing was the margs, they were very good

Visited July 2012