“Delightful find” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plum Duff House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tacoma
Plum Duff House
Ranked #7 of 11 Tacoma B&B and Inns
Berkeley, California
“Delightful find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We happended upon the Plum Duff House when we were searching for a place to stay in the Seattle area during an extra unplanned day on our anniversary road trip to the Pacific Northwest. It turned out to be an unexpected delightful find and we were extremely pleased with the house and with Peter and Robin, our wonderful hosts. Plum Duff turned out to be a great base for our day in the Seattle area before continuing our journey north to Vancouver BC. With Plum Duff as a base we enjoyed visits north to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks in Ballard, lunch at Pike's Market in Seatlle and a fantastic afternoon at the Museum of Glass in Tacoma watching artists turning molten glass into works of art! If we hadn't stayed at Plum Duff, we probably wouldn't have visited the Museum of Glass and we would have missed out on one of the highlights of our trip. And, BTW, the room was wonderful and the breakfasts were delicious!

Room Tip: Don't miss the Museum of Glass!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2010

I stayed at the Plum Duff Inn for the second time in 1 year, and I was dissapointed enough to not come back.

When I booked my reservation, I mentioned to the owner, Peter, that I was a repeat customer and that I was looking for the discounted rate for UPS/PLU visitors like I had the previous year. However, upon my arrival I was charged a steep fee, 25% more than what I had payed last September!

Peter just said: "You have been here before, so you know where to find things around". Did he even call me by name? No...he was clueless.

In addition, the owners were on their way out of town due to a loss in their family. I completely understand their emotional needs, but I wish they had notified me that I'd be in the house alone as soon as they decided to leave, so I had the choice to stay or look for other accommodations.

Opposite from the many other b&b's I've stayed in, there were none of the things that make me choose a b&b over a hotel: personal service, a welcoming atmosphere, beverages and snacks available, the ability to lunge in the lobby and read with a cup of tea in one hand, etc.

What I had, and plenty of, was a nasty headache courtesy of the fake cinnamon candles that inundated the house, in conjunction to the smell of some cleaning product that could make a whale dizzy.

When it got cold at night, I had to go on an expedition for a blanket into another room, because although it was around 50, the heat was never turned on.

The one good thing about my stay was meeting the owner's daughter in law. She served a delicious breakfast and was very kind and welcoming. She checked with me to see if I needed anything and helped me check out.

Still, I figured that next time, instead of supporting a local business, I'll have to stay in one of the nicer hotels in town, where I am guaranteed a negotiated fee, and knowing that if I need something I actually can ask for it.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dulce M
Saco, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2010

Stayed at the Plum Duff House in July on a first time trip to Washington State. The atmosphere is homey, comfortable, and relaxing. The hosts were very available and friendly and served a wonderful breakfast. Thoroughly enjoyed my visit and loved staying at the Plum Duff House!

• Stayed July 2010
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2010

Peter and Robin were our hosts and owners of Plum Duff House. They were so helpful in giving directions and suggestions on where to go and how to get there. They even offered to drive us down to the shore for the 4th of July Air show and Fireworks. I needed to print my boarding passes and they allowed me to use their personal computer to do so. They are the most gracious hosts I have encountered at a BB yet. The food and service was on time and delicious. I would stay here again, Thanks Peter and Robin!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Saratoga, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

This is an old large wooden house, which has been "remodeled" into a B&B. The workmanship is handyman quality. Nothing deluxe here, but the price is cheap. Our shower was in a small free standing tub with shower curtain. Friendly hosts, but no frills and nothing to write home about.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple