“Disappointed ”

Port Gamble General Store and Cafe
Price range: US$ 10 - US$ 30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Historic Feel,Modern Appeal. The Port Gamble General Store & Cafe is a great place to come for any occasion! The historic building takes you back in time, while offering flavors of today; fun gifts and home decor, souvenirs, ice cream, espresso, and a cafe that serves up from scratch cooking using organic and locally grown/sustainable products as much as possible.
Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

I would have given it a 2 star.
My boyfriend and I went for a trip with my sister and her husband to Silverdale. After reading review online saying how good and fresh the food is and how one must try the pastry and baked goods, we decided to stopped for lunch at The General Store in Port Gamble. We expected a long wait as we were warned by the review but patiently we waited. We finally got our table, since we were not overly hungry so we ordered fish and chips and Rueben sandwich to share. It took a while for the food to come as expected. But when the server put our food down, we were disappointed by the look of the fish and chips as the two pieces of the fish were obviously left in the oil for too long cause they were dark brown. I had a piece of the fish, it didn't taste fresh at all, very fishy. I took a bite of the Rueben, it was pretty good, the meat was very tasty. Since baked goods are highly recommended so we ordered a slice of lemon layer cake to share cause it looked so delicious on top of the counter. But another disappointment, the cake looked good and taste lemony but that was it. I am not sure if the cake was over baked or it had been left on the counter for too long, the cake was very dry. For a $8 slice of cake, I would expect better. And after reading all the raving review about their bakery, I was very disappointed. If it wasn't for the decent Rueben sandwich, I would have given it a 2 star. I wouldn't recommend it and I will definitely not go back.

Reviewed 21 September 2016

Ate breakfast here, and loved my pancakes, a sizeable half-stack with blueberries. It can feel a bit crowded, and a tad noisy, but overall not too bad. Expensive for what it is.

Reviewed 15 September 2016

We have stopped here a few times in the past and were looking forward to another good meal. Things have apparently changed in the last couple years, because the menu was disappointing with very little of interest, and what we did get was not tasty. The only reason I am not giving it 2 stars is the hope that this was some seasonal abnormality. I might also add that the service was pretty poor, especially considering it was not crowded.

Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

The last time I was at the Port Gamble Cafe approx 4 months ago, lunch was disappointing plus it was very noisy.
I wanted to take my friends to Butcher Baker Provisions but they were closed on Tuesdays. So, I tried this restaurant one more time. It was very disappointing for me and my guests. The waitress was not friendly at all. Almost condescending when asked questions. I ordered a cup of northwest chowder. This is the description
"Made with local clams, smoked salmon, celery, carrots, onion, fresh herbs and cream"
It was the worst chowder I've ever had. Very thin with very little substance. I saw 2 small pea size pieces of salmon, no clams. I couldn't even detect vegetables, plus served lukewarm.
The greens salad was ok, but it is "just greens."
My friends had the fish and chips. For the price, they said it was disappointing. Over cooked, soggy fries. We had to ask twice for water refills and the 2nd coke ordered came at the end of the meal after being reminded.
This is the last time I will be going there. Total waste of $50.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

Family was having an amazing Labor day visit to the area, Decided to stop in Port Gamble. Well this place is a gamble. Really cute place should have been an amazing experience. But it was not meant to be. Staff was really nice. seemed undertrained not well organized. Place was half full had to wait 15 minutes to be seated on the patio because they had to clear tables. Ok looked out at 4 empty tables with nothing on them. We went over to the Store fun with lots to look at. Came back after 10 minutes. waited another 10. Got seated waited 5 minutes for water. Waited 10 minutes more for server to take order. Ordered half order of Fish and chips, plus a full order. and 2 burgers for the kids not young kids 13 and 17. and a appetizer of waffle chips. It took 15 minutes before appetizer showed up, very good everyone enjoyed to dip. took another 10 minutes before food showed up. Most fish and chips tell you how many chips you get in a order and i didn't ask so a full order is 2 and a half is 1. at the $13 plate price I thought it would be 3 and 2 my mistake. All of us got cold fries, The burgers were an attempt at gourmet wished their mark. My 13 year old son who is a hoover vacuum when it comes to food had to remove everything off the meat and just eat it. by then we had been in this place for over an hour and a half. enough said. Staff was super nice just not well trained. Simple menu and above pricing. You should be nailing every plate.